Hi, I am Adele, and I have run a large fancy dress shop in Essex, England, since 1998. I'm happy to pass on my knowledge to help others.
Planning a Party With a Letter K Theme?
Giving your guests a letter as a costume theme is quite common and can make for some very interesting ideas for costumes. You have a few options:
- Allow guests to dress up in a costume related to their initials (or instruct them to choose a costume beginning with the first letter of their first name if you want to simplify their options).
- Ask guests to dress up in costume ideas beginning with the same letter as your name.
- Choose one or two letters that they have to find a related costume for.
When you first send out your invitations, some of your guests may be confused about what you are asking for. I suggest that in the invitation you give a thorough explanation and provide a few costume suggestions. If your guests are confused, they may not even attempt to dress up, or worse, they may not attend your party.
So, this article will concentrate on costume ideas beginning with the letter K. K has proven to be quite difficult, and there are not many choices, to be honest. If you have any great ideas for costumes for the letter K, feel free to pop them in the comments.
Famous People With K Names
- Kaiser Bill: Nickname given to German Emperor Wilhelm II. Use a military uniform, spiked German hat, and large handlebar mustache.
- Kardashians, The: Reality show family with a keenness for the letter K. Style references can be easily found on the Internet.
- Karen Carpenter: Female half of the popular 1970s group The Carpenters.
- Kate Bush: Artist best known for pairing unique songs—"Wuthering Heights," "Baboushka"—with costumed ballet-like performances. Gothic-style outfits with dark make-up can work well.
- Kate Moss: Possibly the best-known British model of recent times, e.g., as the "face" of Rimmel makeup. You could pair up with a photographer here who follows you everywhere you go taking pictures. Need to wear very trendy clothes and smoke a fake cigarette.
- Kate Winslett: You will need to look at the films Kate has starred in and dress up in that character. For example, you could go as Rose from Titanic or Marianne from Sense and Sensibility.
- Katy Perry: A pop artist who is a regular raider of the costume trunk. As each new video and media "persona" features different "looks" and costumes, it may be difficult to define a single "signature" outfit. The most popular commercially produced costume is based on a sweet/dessert-themed California Girl ensemble featuring blue hair, although "Jungle Girl" from "Roar" and "Egyptian Princess" from "Dark Horse" are proved to be popular.
- Katy Price (aka Jordan): British model and celebrity who lives life in the media spotlight. Her look is extreme—she is almost always seen made-up, with a heavy emphasis on the eyes, and in outfits that show off her enhanced figure. Alternatively, she is a keen horsewoman, so "hacking gear"—blouse and jodhpurs—may work just as well.
- Keanu Reeves: One half of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, but now probably better known for playing Neo in the Matrix film trilogy.
- Keira Knightley: British actress who has played the following roles (among others); Queen Amidala lookalike Sabé (Star Wars: Phantom Menace); Tomboy female footballer (Bend It Like Beckham); Guinevere, war-painted Ancient Brit tribal leader (King Arthur); Elizabeth Swann (Pirates of the Caribbean); Elizabeth Bennett (Pride & Prejudice), Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire (The Duchess) and Anna Karenina.
- Kenny Everett: Famous British radio DJ and television entertainer of the '80s. Sid Snot (Punk Biker), Cupid Stunt (Bimbo Film Actress), General Cheeseburger (American General), and Brother Lee Love (Preacher with giant hands) were just a few characters seen in his TV series.
- Kevin Costner: Played major roles, several of which will give some easy costume options. Some examples are Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and a confederate soldier in Dances With Wolves.
- Kid Creole: British popstar of the 1980/'90s, lead singer with Kid Creole and the Coconuts. 1950s American Zoot suit, long jacket with padded shoulders, baggy trousers with tapered hem, and white or black fedora.
- Kurt Russell: Long-term partner of Goldie Hawn. Played starring roles in many films (Big Trouble in Little China, Escape From New York); however, an easy option would be as Elvis in the film of the same name (1979).
- Kylie Minogue: Australian pop star. Her outfits vary with videos and fashions. Also known for elaborate costumes (e.g., Showgirls) while on tour. Possibly best known for "draped" outfit worn in "Can't Get You Out of My Head," although she also did a Barbarella space-babe impression in "Put Yourself in My Place."
Famous Characters Whose Names Begin With the Letter K
- Ken: Long-time partner of the famous Barbie doll. Recently seen as a character in Toy Story 3.
- Kermit: Sesame Street and Muppet Show superstar. With the recent successful feature films, outfits for Kermit and other Muppets are now becoming available.
- Keystone Cop: Early twentieth-century American police uniform featuring a domed-style helmet instead of the usual cap, navy blue uniform, trimmed with gold braiding around cuffs and collar. Police accessories such as large silver badge and truncheons are available to purchase.
- Khaleesi Daenerys Targaryen: Queen of the Dothraki and a leading female character from the successful Game of Thrones books/TV series. Noted for her ethereal look, featuring long white hair (sometimes worn in a plait) and simple gowns and outfits, some rather skimpy! A "pet" dragon accessory might also be useful.
- Kick-Ass: Teenage vigilante character from the 2010 film of the same name, which also featured the female action heroine Hit-Girl.
- Killer Queen: Originally a song by Queen and a character in the derived musical We Will Rock You. Alternatively, you can choose your own style: On the one hand, you've got the Wicked Queen from Snow White armed with a poison apple (original story) or lethal dagger (Snow White & the Huntsman); Somewhere in the middle, there's the Red Queen in Alice with a penchant for beheading, and at the other extreme, a dominatrix ensemble in black PVC, spikes and studs and a subtle weapon may be more your thing.
- Kitty: The Hello Kitty character, based on a Japanese cartoon, can be a potential choice but may only be found in the mascot style for adults.
- Knave of Hearts: Another character from Alice in Wonderland. Wear black pantaloons, a black tunic, and red/yellow tights. Knave playing card tabard and tarts can also help create your look. Seen in a more macho central role in the 2010 Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.
- Kronos: The leader and youngest of the first generation of Titans. Use a Grecian robe.
- Krusty the Clown: From the television series The Simpsons. The official costume is available to purchase.
Things That Begin With the Letter K
- Kaftan: A large, shapeless gown with sleeves of Middle Eastern/Oriental origin, which can be simple or ornate. Was favored in the '60s/'70s as leisurewear and was famously sported by Demis Roussos, lead singer of Aphrodite's Child.
- Kangaroo: Iconic symbol of Australia. Usually only hire costumes are available.
- Kindle: Someone's going to suggest it (and, would you believe, there is a wide range of "costumes for Kindles" available.) Not too difficult an outfit (if not necessarily the easiest to wear)—white tablet costume (possibly made from cardboard or foam) with keyboard and words on a screen. For variations: the Kindle with balloons and a hat, the Birthday Kindle and Kindle with "'Twas the Night before Christmas, etc." on the screen, Christmas Kindle, or "Kindle in the Wind."
- Kitten: Use any cat kit or costume.
- Knight: Warrior possible most associated with King Arthur of Britain. Usually pictured wearing armor, but this may not be a practical (or cost-effective) outfit. Many variations are available to purchase.
- Koala Bear: Tree-dwelling bear (usually) native to Australia. Possibly only rental costumes available.
- Kung Fu: Ninja or Black martial art tunic, trousers, and headband.
- Klingon: Warrior/alien race in the fictional series Star Trek.
- King (The): Who else can it be but Elvis!
- King Alfred: Anglo-Saxon ruler (849–99), built the first English naval fleet but possibly best known for burning cakes!. Anglo Saxon tunic and armor are available to rent or buy from fancy dress shops.
- King Arthur: Legendary medieval king and husband to Queen Guinevere. Medieval robes and armor/crowns are available to rent from fancy dress shops.
- King John: Best known for his involvement in the signing of the Magna Carta (a document at the foundations of English democracy) in 1215. Royal Medieval costumes are available to rent.
- King Henry VIII: Possibly the most famous Tudor king (1491–1597), noted for having six wives, two of which he had beheaded! Ornate Tudor costume with an auburn beard.
- King Kong: Giant ape first seen in a 1933 film. Gorilla suit, head, and hands available to hire. Gorilla masks are available to buy in fancy dress shops.
- King Midas: Ancient king of Greece who turned everything he touched into gold. Wear a Grecian robe and crown. It might work as a couple with someone who's up for the Goldfinger Girl look!
- King of Hearts: Kings do not feature much in Disney films, but the King of Hearts is seen several times in Alice in Wonderland. Use a long red robe with white trimming and crown.
- King of the Jews: Jesus costume available to purchase or make up your own with an old sheet.
- King of Siam: Principal character from The King and I. Wear ornate oriental trousers and waistcoat.
- King Rat: Arch-villain in the Dick Whittington pantomime.
- King Richard I: Richard the Lionheart. Red and white tabard, medieval armor, and knight costumes. To take it one step further, a one-man horse could be available to rent.
Do You Have Any K-Themed Costume Ideas?
Oh, this article was hard to write. K is a difficult letter, but I am sure you can think of some more that can be added. If you do, please add a comment, and I will include your suggestions.
Thanks for taking the time to read this article.
Kirsty on January 14, 2015:
I'm hosting a K party, and had a plan of my partner going as knifed, with tomato sauce on this top, and me being the Ketchup!
Shelbi on October 12, 2014:
Knocked up - put a pillow under your shirt to make you look pregnant.
Kelly-Gean on May 24, 2012:
thanks to this i am saved for a 21st :) thanks all :)
Marmalade321 on May 05, 2012:
How about a "know it all"? It's easy and bossy!
Krista Fulton on April 27, 2012:
Katniss Everdeen :)
The Hunger Games
CJ on March 07, 2012:
Killer Queen from We Will Rock You lol?
Party Girl (author) on January 27, 2012:
Great idea! what about one of our red Morphsuits!!!!!
Sam on January 26, 2012:
Ketchup - just wear red?
. on October 31, 2011:
Kojak on October 29, 2011:
Kojak, Good Ole Telly Sevalis
Vivienne Jones on September 18, 2011:
You could always do Karate Kid
Ku say on August 21, 2011:
Thanks for the ideas!!
bettyboo on July 12, 2011:
Kim kardashian. or if there is 3 of you's then be the kardashian sisters.
Lindsay on June 26, 2011:
karla on May 18, 2011:
leona on May 03, 2011:
susan12345 on March 20, 2011:
wot about hello kittey!!! it's cool and funky
Kiwichatter on January 09, 2011:
The Kettles Ma and Pa
Kin.. ( like a red neck if you are related to the person works even better)
Krystal on December 20, 2010:
a Kid- with Variations a school kid a kinder kid etc
Craig on December 14, 2010:
Guest on September 28, 2010:
Guest on August 09, 2010:
Kurt Cobain - For the lazy amongst us. Flannelet shirt, long hair, seedy beard, faded ripped jeans, sneakers. Guitar perhaps?
Kelly K. on July 13, 2010:
Thanks for the ideas! My family hosts an annual letter party every summer. This year the letter is "K"! I was just going to come as myself since my intials are KK, but they said I must dress up! These are all great ideas!
Party Girl (author) on July 11, 2010:
Wow guys, you are really coming up trumps with more costume ideas.
Thanks so much
Tim MacFarlane on July 11, 2010:
We're having a K party as we've moved into Kent Road. We've come up with tons of ideas, some of which have been mentioned above. I still haven't decided what to go as though! Lol. Here are some others (we've said you can be quite clever with the K).
Killers - like Jason or Michael Myers OR Brandon Flowers from the Killers
The Goblin King from Labrynth
Kellogg's cornflake (or other cereal!)
Krakatoa the volcano (I'm tempted by this one!)
Katie Price [Jordan] or Kerry Katona (you'll only know these ones if you're from the UK probably!)
Gene Simmons from Kiss
Kate Beckinsale from Underworld
Kirsten Dunst as Marie Antoinette
kriddles on June 20, 2010:
Kat on June 20, 2010:
kaleidoscope! Just wear heaps of different coloured clothes and jewellery!
Angela on May 27, 2010:
What above a klingon
STEPH LAYCE on April 20, 2010:
Kermit the frog would be nice!
Paddy on April 18, 2010:
Kermit the Frog is from The Muppets not Sesame Street!
amanda on April 06, 2010:
A member from "Kiss", the band.
karen on April 05, 2010:
what about wrapping oneself in toilet paper or tissues and going as kleenex. good if no one has a cold or dhiarrhea.
Keelseey on April 01, 2010:
I am attending my best friends party and i am going as kim from kath and kim. I am going to wear really short shorts and be really revealing!!
Kiwi on March 30, 2010:
I'm a New Zealand Native Bird!
Tom on March 29, 2010:
Kiwi (member of the new Zealand international rugby union team)
Katy on March 15, 2010:
i was thinking of going to a party as a keyboard- paint my self black and where black clothing then paint on the letters for keys in white or silver paint.
Kiz on February 22, 2010:
a whole group of people could come as a kitchen :)
or a kettle :)
Kelly on February 19, 2010:
Kelloggs Corn flakes or a knife :)
Jules on February 14, 2010:
Kiwi- as in a New Zealender or the fruit
or a Kid
Jules on February 14, 2010:
Kiwi- as in a New Zealender or the fruit
or a Kid
Simo on January 24, 2010:
Wat about a Kamikaze
Katiie on January 23, 2010:
Katie Price would be quite a funny one :) x
Kirsty on January 20, 2010:
My maid of honour and bridesmaids have organised a fancy dress hens party for me and the letter is K, so i have decided to attend as a kinky bride given that it is a hens night after all!
Cam on January 16, 2010:
Kill Bill, or KKK!
Kate on December 19, 2009:
I'm going to a party as a kitchen
Kirsten on December 04, 2009:
You could be KGB spy?
Or Kirsten Dunst - maybe from wimbledon - dress up in tennis kit?
Or Kristen Stewart - Bella from twilight?
KKalina on November 12, 2009:
vanessa on August 15, 2009:
we thought of the following ideas for the letter K.
Kiss (as in the band)
noname on August 05, 2009:
killer (just wear army gear and harry a bloody axe)
knocked up killer kitten
boris on July 15, 2009:
what about a kindergartener?
. on June 30, 2009:
"knocked up" - funny for a girl to do .. put a pillow under your shirt
kirst on May 09, 2009:
kath and kim ?
Ash on January 21, 2009:
Sarah on January 02, 2009:
Perhaps Kim Possible
Party Girl (author) on December 22, 2008:
Great ideas,t hanks everyone. I will add them all soon.
Laura on December 21, 2008:
Keira Knightly, I suppose as Elizabeth Swan in Pirates of the Caribean? or any other character she has played?
Kirstie on August 28, 2008:
What about Kenny from south park? or even Kyle from south park? a member of the KKK (Klue Klux Klan) the letter K it self? just a few more ideas to add to the list xXx
June Campbell from North Vancouver on August 19, 2008:
Wonderful costumes. Who knew there were so many interesting people starting with K?
sisterkate from Chicago, IL on August 02, 2008:
You could add "kite." Not a person, but a costume is possible.
You might be able to go as a "kiss" of the chocolate variety. Use suspenders to hang a hula hoop around your hips. Then take aluminum foil to wrap yourself up from the hula hoop to your head. Add a piece of paper with the word "Hershey" on it. You'll need some sort of opening in the foil for your head, of course.
Or maybe it would just be a lot easier to bring a relative and go as "kissing cousins."
You could do something with knitting or knitting needles.
Enjoyed the hub. Looking forward to the rest of the alphabet.
Jungle Talk on August 02, 2008:
"K" is a hard letter, and I admire your perceptive solutions for this costume theme. It leads me to think that a party could actually be geared towards one of your suggestions, like 'Kings', or 'Kittens'.
If you are looking for some animals that start with 'K' besides just kitten... visit www.Animal-World.com!
Kyle Bruening from Florida on August 02, 2008:
By using this suggestive party letter you make it easy for your guests and assure that the party is a success.
P.S. To win a free cruise & get the Free report " How to Find the Best Cruise at the Best Price" go now to www.theLuxuryShips.com