Len enjoys writing about at-home projects including cooking, home improvement, fixing and maintaining computers, and costume-making.
DIY Malory Archer Costume
The matriarch of Isis and actual mother to super-spy Sterling Archer, Malory Archer is one of the most distinctive personalities in the television series Archer. Her severe style of dress, mixed with her acerbic personality, makes her a favorite cosplay and Halloween costume.
Like most of the characters from the show, a Malory costume is not difficult to put together. In fact, you might even be able to complete it using only clothing you have lying around your house! Even if you don't have the required components for a cosplaying outfit, they are easy to order online and relatively cheap to boot.
Read on to find out a couple of ways to dress up as this powerful matriarch for Halloween or other special events.
How to Make a Standard Malory Archer Costume
Whether due to office policies, coincidence, or idol worship, Malory Archer's basic office attire is actually quite similar to her employee Pam Poovey's. Both favor skirts, wide belts, pearls, and brooches. Unlike Pam and her floral colors, Malory tends to favor neutral colors. That means her costume will typically be shades of grey, white, or light blue. She does occasionally go darker, but never anything more ostentatious than greens or deep blues. Certainly, no reds.
Here are the pieces you need to put together a great Malory costume.
- A skirt/blouse combo: Matching colors only! Her business attire is always a uniform color. If you have business attire that includes a skirt, use that! If not, pick up a cheap skirt and blouse of the same color and get to work!
- A ladies' blazer or bolero jacket: She always wears a jacket in the office. A ladies' blazer will be perfect, but an appropriately sized bolero jacket is also in her wheelhouse. If you buy a bolero jacket, make sure it is not too revealing! Malory dresses conservatively. Make sure whatever you wear is the same color as your skirt and blouse.
- Double-strand pearl necklace: If you're looking to improve your costume, you have to include accessories! Ms. Archer typically wears a double strand of pearls around her neck. She usually compliments these with pearl earrings.
- Flower Brooch: Oddly, Malory and Pam wear almost the exact same flower brooch to work. We can only assume Malory's is more expensive.
Read More From Holidappy
Other Ways To Dress Up As Malory Archer for Halloween
Malory isn't always just in the office! There are a few simple ways to dress up as this acerbic woman while taking it in a different direction from how she normally dresses.
Here are a few ideas:
- A fur coat: When in cold weather or outdoor formal occasions, Malory is often seen wearing an extravagant fur coat. Of course, buying a fur coat is probably not a good idea for a frugal Halloween costume, so check out a faux fur jacket instead.
- A trench coat: She is a master spy! Of course, she has a trench coat. A simple, tan or brown trench coat will be perfect.
As you can see, both of these options are coats. This can be particularly useful if you need to build your costume quickly. If you have either of these two items lying around the house, your costume just became significantly easier to create by wearing a fur jacket or a trench coat, you can effectively hide the blouse/jacket/skirt you might be missing. Just make sure you have her hair right and some accessories like pearls, a handgun, or a martini glass, and you'll be good to go.
If you have any questions or comments about creating a do-it-yourself Malory Archer Halloween costume, leave them below. And if you use any of my tips for creating a costume for holidays or conventions, leave a comment! I'd love to hear how it turned out for you.
© 2014 Nerds At Home
Wendy Hughes from Charlotte on September 30, 2014:
LOL! Look at the first two images where Archer's top half matches up to her/the skirt product. ToooOO fUnNy!