Mary is a mother who loves using crafty, DIY techniques to create fun Halloween costumes!
With Halloween just around the corner, I thought now might be a good time to share some of the inexpensive and fun costume ideas I have used for my children in the past. The one you see below was an octopus that Abby and I made out of an old hoodie. This was such a neat and innovative dress-up costume to make. I did all the cutting, and she did the placing of the eyeballs and suction cups. We was going to paint her face red to match the hoodie, which would have made her blend in with the colors in her costume, but she has super sensitive skin, so we didn't want to take any chances of her breaking out. But if your child can handle the face paint for this look, it really goes well with the costume. You can also use glitter body spray and spray it from head to toe in this costume to give it a little bit of sparkle.
What You Will Need
- 1 Plain sweater hoodie in whatever color they want.
- 2 Big googly eyeball stickers the movable kind, you can find them at most art and crafts stores.
- 1 Good sharp pair of scissors, the fabric is kind of thick.
- 32 Plain round white stickers, you can find them at most art and crafts stores as well.
- 1 Black magic marker, or if you're feeling a little creative, dark purple, or hot pink.
- 1 Tube of face paint that matches the color of the hoodie.
- 1 pair of leggings in the same color as the hoodie.
- 1 Turtle neck in the same color as the hoodie.
- 1 spray bottle filled about half of the way with water.
You can make this costume your own by adding lace, glitter, or even flowers.
- Take the hoodie and spray it down with a spray bottle, don't soak it. Wet it just enough to dampen it a little. I have discovered that this helps make the material less stiff and easier to work with.
- Cut the sleeves off the hoodie.
- Now take your scissors and make you first cut straight up the middle leaving about three inches at the top of the hoodie that is not cut. Then go around and do the same thing you did with the first cut until you have what looks like eight legs.
- Take the 2 googly eyes and stick them on the top of the hoodie, you might want to have your child put on the hoodie, and mark where the eyes should be. That way the eyes on your octopus isn't lopsided.
- Take your white plain round stickers and stick four on each of the eight strips you cut.
- Take your magic marker and make a circle in the middle of each of the plain white stickers and fill them in with the color of magic marker you're using to make what looks kind of like a suction cup.
- Let the magic marker air dry for about thirty minutes to keep the dots from smudging.
- Now add the matching leggings, turtleneck and face makeup and your child's costume should be good to go.
You don't have to spend a fortune on a costume for it to be cute and fun. Not to mention kids always love anything better, when they get to help make it themselves. This was such an easy costume to put together, and I spent maybe $15 dollars on the whole thing. If you have a plain hoodie already that you don't mind cutting it should cost you even less than that. I bought the stickers and eyeballs for less than $5 dollars.
Faith Reaper from southern USA on August 07, 2012:
That is so very clever and cute. Well done. Love it. Unique. In His Love, Faith Reaper
Mary (author) from From the land of Chocolate Chips,and all other things sweet. on August 07, 2012:
Thank you moonlake.
moonlake from America on August 07, 2012:
Very cute and very good idea. Enjoyed your hub. Voted Up.