I love putting together costumes and helping others design their own costumes.
I have a love for all Marvel comic movie characters, but my all-time favorite is Elektra. Her whole story is very interesting and inspiring. Plus, she totally kicks butt!
- She is a very interesting and multifaceted character. She has been interlaced into many story lines in the comics, even with Wolverine and the X-Men.
- Her skill level and powers are awesome. She is resistant to pain, extreme cold, and heat. She has the power to mesmerize people and can "throw herself" into peoples' minds. She also uses low-level telepathy. Her greatest skills are in martial arts. She uses a katana and does Ninjutsu mixed with other martial arts of China, Japan, and Siam.
- She has Olympian-level skill in swimming and gymnastics which helps her to be stealthy and remain unseen by her opponents.
- She's trained very hard and becomes a kunoichi (a female ninja assassin).
- Her signature is the red costume she wears. It started out as a one-piece outfit. It was a one-shouldered leotard with fabric draped down in the front and back and laces wrapped around the arms and legs. She wears a red headscarf or do-rag and red boots.
- It has evolved into a two-piece outfit. It was either a bikini top or corset (crop top or bra) paired with tight leather or lycra pants. The arm and leg lacing is the same and, of course, the red boots (knee or thigh high).
- She has long jet black hair and always wears hoop earrings.
- Her weapon of choice is a sai, a traditional Japanese weapon with a straight middle prong flanked by two curved ones. She usually carries two.
- Later, her costume becomes quite elaborate. Her metal armband says "Assasin," her belt reads "Destiny," and her metal jewelry incorporates the word "Death."
Doesn't all of that greatness inspire you to whip yourself into shape and become a butt-kicking, red-wearing ninja assassin? Even if it is just for one day out of the year.
Garner as Elektra
Putting It All Together
If you're going for the original look, you will want to find a red leotard (in spandex or shiny Lycra material) that's either spaghetti strap, one-shoulder, or tank style. Either way, it needs to be very fitted.
You will also need about 5 to 6 yards of red, stretchy, and shiny fabric to make your drapings for the front and back of your costume. Depending on your height, you may even need more. You really want those drapings to be floor-length. Cut the fabric in half: One piece for the front and the other for the back, trimmed down to no more than one to two feet wide (depending on your size). You want the sides of your hips and thighs to be visible.
For the leg lacings, you want to cut the strips from the same material. Make two thinner ones for one leg and one large one for the other. Just wrap once and knot on the outside of the thigh. Leave about a foot and a half of length dangling.
In the same manner, you'll cut out your belt, cutting about two inches from the side of the fabric, lengthwise, stopping about three inches from the end. Wrap the front piece around your waist using the cut pieces, once or twice and leave the ends dangling. Do the same for the rear piece. Add a three to four inch strip of fabric around your waist with long, flowing end pieces to add more "style" if you like—that or a stretchy red belt can be added to both the two-piece or one-piece versions.
Read More From Holidappy
If you're going to do the two-piece version, you get to decide which kind of top to wear, whether it's a bra, corset, or crop top of some sort (in red, of course). The key is to have those beautiful abs showing in the two-piece version. The base for the two-piece option is tight red leather or Lycra pants. If you choose, you can cut yourself a belt (see above). You might also consider wearing a metal armband (that says "Assasin" in Kanji). In the movie, Jennifer Garner's belt has the symbol for destiny printed on it, her shorter pendant has the symbol for death, and the long one has her name on it.
Extras for both versions:
- Boots: For both options, one- and two-piece, red knee high or thigh high boots are imperative. Don't get that heel too high. No more than three or four inches for added sex appeal if you like, but a stacked one or two-inch heel is more realistic.
- For the arm lacings, I would make a trip to a fabric store and buy red, stretchy, and shiny fabric. Cut two-inch wide strips about two yards long, so you have enough length for wrapping around your arms (from interlacing the fingers up to mid bicep). Leave about a foot of length dangling from knots on the outside of the upper arm.
- Head tie or do-rag: Out of this same fabric, you can make a head tie or a do-rag, depending on your preference. Cut a strip to tie around your forehead with fabric dangling from the knot on the side or the back of your head for the head tie option. Or cut a two-foot piece of fabric and cut about an inch in from the edge, leaving about two inches attached at the bottom of the cut (for tying down the do-rag on the head and leaving the ends to dangle in the back.
- Earrings: You will need large hoop earrings (gold in particular) and a long black wig (if you don't already have long black hair) to round out the costume. Last but not least, finish off your costume with a set of realistic sais.
I'm so excited for Halloween. It really is my favorite holiday. I love decorating and getting dressed up. It's the one time of the year we get to pretend to be something else. I can't wait to wear my costume.
Ready-to-Wear Elektra Costumes: The Easiest Option
Some of us don't have the time or the money to create costumes ourselves. That's okay. You can still have the hottest costume at the party with a ready-made Elektra costume.
Besides, we all know, it's not what you're wearing but how you wear it. Add attitude and pizzazz to your walk and personality to become Elektra for the night.
Work it, girl!!
Variations on the Elektra Costume
Constancegbell (author) on August 13, 2014:
@earthahaines: Thank you!! I love Elektra!
earthahaines on August 13, 2014:
Wow! Great idea for dressing up as Elektra! She is one of the coolest female Marvel superheroes.