How to Put Together a "Mean Girls" Group Costume
You Are a MEAN GIRL
Mean Girls was released on April 30th, 2004. In honor of its 15th anniversary, I put together this guide to making a seriously fetch Mean Girls Group Costume for Halloween or Comic-Con. Mean Girls has been regarded as one of the all-time best teen comedies, ranking alongside '80s and '90s classics like Sixteen Candles, Clueless, Heathers, and The Breakfast Club. The movie holds up well after a decade, which is no surprise considering its near-cult status amongst rabid fans.
As for me, I hold Mean Girls in high regard. I keep it in a special place in my heart alongside said '80s/'90s teen classics, flavored lip gloss, glittered manicures, and witty comebacks.
There are approximately six main teen characters in the 2004 insta-classic Mean Girls. A group costume works for a wide range of groups, for any combination of men or women. Gender switched costumes are good times too, so don't feel limited if you have a mixture of folks.
The following characters work well together for a group costume:
- The Full 6 (Cady, Janis, Damian, Regina, Gretchen, and Karen)
- The Plastics (Cady, Regina, Gretchen, and Karen)
- The Original Trio (Cady, Janis, and Damian)
- The Original Duo (Janis and Damian)
Because there are so many costume changes throughout the film, you can run with a ton of themes. Here are some options:
- On Wednesdays We Wear Pink: The Plastics a la the image above (4)
- Halloween: The Plastics (bunny, cat, mouse) + Cady (as an "Ex-Wife") + Bonus! Aaron Samuels in a football uniform (3-5)
- Jingle Bell Rock: The Plastics + Bonus! Regina's mom in a pink tracksuit with camcorder (4–5)
- Spring Fling (aka Prom): Any or all of the characters (2–infinity)
- "Greatest Hits": Any or all of the characters in their most memorable costume. This is actually my favorite option because it'll give your group the most flexibility, plus I think it's the most fun way to go anyway. Your group could even dress up as the same character in different costumes (50 shades of Regina George anyone?)
Cady Heron is from Africa, loves Ladysmith Black Mambazo, and has really bad breath in the morning. She's the hero of the film and has a good head on her shoulders despite some lapses in judgment. Obviously, if you've got red hair, this is the costume for you; it's also perfect if you're really into math, the universal language.
- Best Options: "Damian's Pink Shirt" Cady, "Spring Fling" Cady, or "Halloween 'Ex-Wife'" Cady
- For Professionals Only: I'm confident that Cady's African bracelet is made out of coconut beads. If you're crafty, you could make one with those beads, some fabric, thread/cord, and glue.
Tip: If you're going for "Spring Fling Cady," note that she is the only one not in her formal wear. She's come straight from a Mathletes competition, so she's wearing khakis and an oversized blue/yellow letterman jacket. If you can find a big "N" letterman patch, you will be my hero. Add a plastic crown and medal for authenticity.
If you aren't blessed with a head full of luscious natural Lindsey Lohan hair, you'll need a wig. Go for a proper ginger red or auburn, without bangs.
She's the queen bee, and everyone else is larva writhing in royal jelly (gross). Regina is a natural leader and naturally nasty. As such, the Regina George of your group should be the person who's the most dominant. It also helps if you have stunning hair and would look like a British man if you shaved it all off. It would be even more perfect if you actually are a British man.
- Best Options: "On Wednesdays We Wear Pink" Regina, "Boob Shirt" Regina, or "Spring Fling" Regina (with head brace)
- For Professionals Only: Make a Burn Book. You don't necessarily have to fill it with anything, but if you do, know that there are consequences...
Tip: My favorite Regina costume is also the easiest. All you need is a white ribbed tank, a brightly color bra or undershirt, and a pair of scissors. Cut out 2-inch circles from the chest area, and people will instantly be able to identify you as the life ruiner you are.
Regina's hair is long, straight, and insured for $10,000. If you don't have Regina George's flawless blonde hair, wig it. The color is a light golden blonde that's not quite platinum.
Gretchen Weiners is second in command to Regina. On the outside, Gretchen is tiny, rich, knows everyone's business, and is really sorry if everyone is jealous of her because she can't help it she's so popular. On the inside, she's a sycophant with some serious self-esteem issues, but she's *such* a good friend guys.
- Best Options: "On Wednesdays We Wear Pink" Gretchen, "Jingle Bell Rock" Gretchen, or "Halloween 'Cat'" Gretchen
Tip: So Fetch. Gretchen (and a lot of the other Plastics) wear cardigans throughout the film. Classic hot pink, pepto pink, and baby pink are pinks of choice.
Gretchen's hair is wavy, brown, just below shoulder length, and full of secrets. For this wig, comb the bangs to the side (with a center part), and I promise you'll look exactly like the heir to Toaster Strudel.
A Note on Skirts
The Plastics mostly wear miniskirts in black, plaid, or pink. A lot of them are pleated (think "cheerleader skirt") or pencil skirts (hip hugging), which can be a little harder to find these days. If you want to save money, and aren't a stickler for authenticity, get a mini "skater" skirt. You can find them in cheap stores like Forever 21, in the Junior sections of most department stores, and online.
Gretchen is a slightly different case; her skirts & dresses tend to be longer than the other Plastics. The one I found here is very similar to the one she's wearing on the Mean Girls DVD cover.
Although she gets lowest billing, Karen Smith is one of my favorites. She's got big doe eyes, naturally blonde hair, and might have kissed her cousin—but it's okay because it was her first cousin. I heard that when she shakes her head, you'll hear that noise a can of spray paint makes.
- Best Options: "On Wednesdays We Wear Pink" Karen, "Halloween 'I'm a Mouse. Duh.'" Karen, or "Spring Fling" Karen
- For Professionals Only: Develop the ability to predict the weather with a random body part.
Tip: Add the backwards rhinestone "K" to any/all Karen costumes because it shows you know how to spell.
Karen's hair is a bit more of a natural blonde than Regina's it's also long and straight with a slightly off center part. This wig can be trimmed and/or heat styled too.
Janis Ian is one of the greatest people you will ever meet. She's bold and tells people exactly what's on her mind. She's the realest, most honest character in the whole film, so if you choose to do a Janis Ian costume, just know you've got an important, life-altering task in front of you. Do not take this challenge lightly.
- Best Options: "Classic" Janis or "Purple Suit Spring Fling" Janis
- For Professionals Only: Don't wash your hair for a few days prior to Halloween or whatever you're dressing up for. Authenticity, thy name is [insert your name].
Tip: As for Janis' hair? It's sloppy, parted down the side, and pulled back (either completely at the prom, or partway for the rest of the film). Janis wears classic silver contour hair clips because she don't give no hecks. (Goody makes them)
My favorite Janis Ian is Spring Fling Janis Ian. She's got the same purple suit on as Damian (ie it's men's sized and super baggy).
The bow tie is black and white polka dot. They sell 'em pre tied too.
Damian is Janis Ian's right-hand man. He's a big cuddly teddy bear who likes to steal purses and dress up in Santa costumes in his spare time. Some say he's too gay to function, but I say he's perfect just the way he is.
- Best Options: "Purple Suit Spring Fling" Damian or "Show Down in the Auditorium" Damian
She doesn't even go here!
If you're Janis-less or don't want to do Spring Fling Damian, Show-Down in the Auditorium Damian is your next best bet. You'll remember he's the only dude there, so he has his hood pulled tightly around his head. If you're getting a Hanes hoodie like the one here, the color is called "Carolina Blue."
To fully mask his identity while all the Junior girls share their feelings, Damian wears black aviator sunglasses. Holy crap this is the easiest costume ever.
Here Are Some Other Characters to Consider
- Mrs. Norbury (Tina Fey)—swagged out TGI Fridays vest
- Mrs. George aka Regina's Mom (Amy Poehler)—velour tracksuit, chest as hard as rocks
- Mr. Duvall (Tim Meadows)—arm cast and a baseball bat
- Aaron Samuels—long sleeved t-shirt, looks good with hair pushed back
- Kevin Gnapoor—red/black tracksuit (from the talent show) and math enthusiast business cards to hand out
Questions & Answers
© 2014 Shay Marie