Welcome to Holidappy! We are a community of celebrators, revelers, crafters, and merrymakers who come together to share experience and knowledge about celebrating holidays, birthdays, weddings, festivals, and other special occasions all over the world. From planning a Star Trek-themed graduation party to compiling the perfect country-inspired Independence Day playlist to making a miniature Christmas tree out of recycled materials, Holidappy has you covered.
To write for Holidappy, authors must comply with our editorial policy, which can be found on the HubPages editorial policy page. In addition to these requirements, we have listed some recommendations, reminders, and tips below about how to craft high-quality articles for this site in particular.
What We Like to See
- Specificity and Details: Your personal experience is what’s going to set you apart from other writers. We encourage you to include information like what drew you to a particular recipe, what you would do a bit differently if you made a certain craft again, or what was missing from your wedding that you would have loved to have. Perhaps there’s a silly but crucial mistake you made when cooking a Star Wars cake that you want to tell others to avoid. Information like this not only sets you apart from other writers, but it also increases your author trustworthiness and helps others.
- Personal Experience: The best articles tend to be written from the informed perspective of someone who has actually made the craft, put together the recipe, or participated in the event. We want our authors to be writing from a place of knowledge, and we prefer that it be apparent to readers that they can trust the information and recommendations that you share.
- Original and Beautiful Photos: It’s wonderful when articles contain high-quality images (preferably taken by the author). If not taken by the author, it helps if photos are at least accurately sourced and of high quality. When you post pictures of your in-progress craft, recipe, or celebration, you’re bringing your reader into your world and sharing your expertise with them. Not to mention, step-by-step photographic instructions tend to greatly improve the reader's experience.
- Numbered Lists: If an article lists a number in the title (e.g., “Top 10 Best Halloween Cupcake Recipes”), it is much more readable if the items on the list are numbered throughout the text. Because this improves readability, it increases the likelihood that readers will finish reading the article in its entirety.
What to Avoid
- Uninformed Promotion: Products should only be included if you have personal experience with them. Authors shouldn’t recommend something to readers that they haven’t tried, as this can reduce the reader’s trust in the author. We prefer that if authors do include links to products, they do so using anchor text rather than a product capsule, as this makes for a more seamless reader experience.
- Blurry Photos: Photos are a crucial aspect of any good craft tutorial, recipe, list of recipe ideas, or celebration guide. As such, it’s important that photos be high-quality. This means they shouldn’t be small, blurry, fuzzy, or distorted.
- Thin and Vague Content: Content should be specific and in-depth. If an article is vague and doesn't go into much detail, it is unlikely to be useful or entertaining to readers.
Here are some examples of articles on Holidappy that we would like to showcase. These articles exhibit the type of high-quality work we wish to see on the site:
- A Brief History of Mardi Gras in America
- Common Spring Season Idioms, Adages, Quotes and Sayings
- Tips and Guidelines for Wearing Halloween Costumes at Work
- The Best Gifts for Tomboys (Gift Ideas for Not-So-Girly-Girls)
- 13 Great Quotes about Bikes and Cycling
A quick note: All of our Network Sites are a blending of professional editing and writers like you.
If you are intrigued by our community and would like to write for Holidappy, we’d love to have you! In order to set up an account to begin writing, please sign up on HubPages. Articles are initially written on our parent platform and then, if they are high enough quality, are moved to one of our Network Sites like Holidappy.