50 Gift Ideas Under $5
Giving a gift to someone should come from the heart, not out of obligation. We show appreciation, love, admiration, friendship, and kindness when a gift is given.
However, times could be tough. Money can be tight and you can only afford so much. Or, you have too many people to buy gifts for. Maybe you want to be crafty or think out of the box. Perhaps a child is breaking open his piggy bank to purchase presents. These ideas will suit him also. No matter what the reason, we do the best we can with the resources we have. Whether a gift is $50 or $5, it all depends on how much we can afford. But keep in mind that it's always the thought that counts.
I hope you find some of these gift ideas useful, or that you are able to incorporate my ideas and create your own. No matter what the situation, there are many gifts for under $5 that could bring a smile to a recipients face. Isn't that what it's all about?
Give a Gift and Get a Smile
- A $5 scratch-off ticket or 5 $1 tickets placed in a homemade card.
- Bottle of their favorite color nail polish. Include a homemade coupon for a manicure and/or pedicure.
- Make a cake in a jar. It's a simple process that a child could also help with.
- For friends who like to drink, fill a flute, goblet, or a shot glass with Hershey's Kisses.
- Homemade cookies, baked bread, or a pie. Purchase a plate to display your goodies on.
- A $5 gift card would be appreciated. It could be for Starbucks or a grocery store.
- For the sports fans, a pack of baseball, football, or basketball cards.
- A coloring book and box of crayons. Kids of all ages would enjoy this.
- Knit or crochet a scarf or throw. If you don't know how to knit or crochet you could learn.
- A crisp $5 bill tucked into a takeout menu from a sandwich shop.
- A paperback book from their favorite author.
- How about a celebrity gossip magazine? You could enjoy some laughs while reading it.
- DVDs have gone down in price. You could easily find one at Walmart for $5.
- Chocolate. Any shape, size, or form. Be creative.
- Earbuds or a phone case from eBay. I've purchased supplies for my iPhone at rock-bottom prices. But I'd stay away from sellers in China because delivery takes forever.
- Give a picture frame with a photo that will guarantee a smile.
- Prepare a colorful fruit basket. You could purchase a bowl at a dollar store and add a few pieces of fruit. Wrap in plastic wrap and add a bow.
- Make a cold pasta salad. Again the bowl is only $1 at a dollar store. Add diced veggies and cubed ham or turkey. Top with shredded cheese. Nutritious and thoughtful!
- Most of us have extra vases sitting around or, again, the dollar store has them. Add fresh-cut flowers from your garden and you'll have a floral arrangement.
- Using an old t-shirt of their favorite band, sports team, or cartoon character and make them a pillow. Stuff and sew either by hand or machine.
- Fill a coffee mug with sample-size coffee packets or tea bags.
- Purchase an annual plant at your local nursery. Place in a pretty pot and present your gift.
- A fragrant candle is always a nice gift. You could give a color or scent that matches their taste or décor. You could always give a scent of the season.
- Make a fridge magnet. Using a photo, place it on the magnet and cover with clear tape. Polish up the edges with a razor. Magnets can be bought in bulk so you could make many of these as gifts.
- Prepare a bowl of Chex Mix and add extra M&Ms. Yum!
26. How about a pretty pen and notebook? You can suggest they write a memoir.
27. Who doesn't like to exercise their brain? A book of crosswords or Sudoku puzzles would supply hours of entertainment.
28. A box of character band-aids for children of all ages to help make their boo-boos feel better.
29. A pair of soft, cozy socks or gloves to help keep their hands and feet warm.
30. Hair accessories that could be found at a dollar store or the dollar section in Target.
31. A pineapple with a burned CD of Hawaiian music will make a thoughtful tropical treat.
32. Who doesn't use Post-Its? In my opinion we should all have an emergency stash of Post-Its.
33. A $5 gift card to the movie theater. It might not buy them a ticket, but it could buy them a snack.
34. Lip balms are useful and fun gifts. They always come in handy and are sold in assorted flavors that people would enjoy.
35. Make a coupon book. Offer your services. If you are the recipient of the book be sure and take advantage of this good deed.
36. A yummy gift that I received, which was under $5, was a bottle of Diet Coke and a bag of chocolate covered pretzels presented in a gift bag. It made my day.
37. Suave products are inexpensive and work just as well as their expensive counterparts. Their Everlasting Sunshine hand and body lotion is my favorite.
38. Transfer $5 into their PayPal account as a gift for them to make a purchase.
39. Purchase an inexpensive calendar and fill in special dates that relate to you and the recipient.
40. Write them a poem. Frame it or publish it online.
41. How about a travel mug for their car? Fill it with packets of hot cocoa.
42. Give them a musical greeting card. Surely you could find a song that they could relate to.
43. Make a bookmark. Use glue to place photos of the recipient on cardboard. Secure the bookmark with laminate. Use a hole puncher to make a hole on top and insert a piece of ribbon. Your bookmark is now complete.
44. This idea is good for a child. Collect mementos of the recipient. Insert into a secure tin and you now have a time capsule to present to them. They can even bury it for a future discovery.
45. Create beaded bracelets using their favorite colors.
46. Give a single yellow rose. Did you know that a yellow rose symbolizes friendship and joy? Well, if you didn't know before, you know now.
47. If you are purchasing a gift for a prankster, how about a whoopee cushion? Think of the fun they will have when someone sits on it.
48. Do you have a coupon for a retail store that you don't need, but someone else could use? Give them the coupon or coupons. Who doesn't like to save a few bucks?
49. Travel size hand sanitizers from Bath and Body Works are under $5 and they are always useful and appreciated.
50. Who wouldn't want to be featured on the cover of a magazine? Anyone can with the Walmart Photo Center.
Your Gifts for Under $5
This concludes my list of gift ideas that you could purchase or create for under $5.00.
If you have any more ideas, please post them in the comments section below.
I'm sure your ideas and suggestions will be appreciated by many.
Did My Suggestions Help You Find a Gift Under $5...
© 2012 Linda Bilyeu