Linda likes to come up with creative gift-giving guides and ideas.
Giving a gift to someone should come from the heart, not out of obligation. We show appreciation, love, admiration, friendship, and kindness when a gift is given.
However, times could be tough. Money can be tight and you can only afford so much. Or, you have too many people to buy gifts for. Maybe you want to be crafty or think out of the box. Perhaps a child is breaking open his piggy bank to purchase presents. These ideas will suit him also. No matter what the reason, we do the best we can with the resources we have. Whether a gift is $50 or $5, it all depends on how much we can afford. But keep in mind that it's always the thought that counts.
I hope you find some of these gift ideas useful, or that you are able to incorporate my ideas and create your own. No matter what the situation, there are many gifts for under $5 that could bring a smile to a recipients face. Isn't that what it's all about?
Give a Gift and Get a Smile
- A $5 scratch-off ticket or 5 $1 tickets placed in a homemade card.
- Bottle of their favorite color nail polish. Include a homemade coupon for a manicure and/or pedicure.
- Make a cake in a jar. It's a simple process that a child could also help with.
- For friends who like to drink, fill a flute, goblet, or a shot glass with Hershey's Kisses.
- Homemade cookies, baked bread, or a pie. Purchase a plate to display your goodies on.
- A $5 gift card would be appreciated. It could be for Starbucks or a grocery store.
- For the sports fans, a pack of baseball, football, or basketball cards.
- A coloring book and box of crayons. Kids of all ages would enjoy this.
- Knit or crochet a scarf or throw. If you don't know how to knit or crochet you could learn.
- A crisp $5 bill tucked into a takeout menu from a sandwich shop.
- A paperback book from their favorite author.
- How about a celebrity gossip magazine? You could enjoy some laughs while reading it.
- DVDs have gone down in price. You could easily find one at Walmart for $5.
- Chocolate. Any shape, size, or form. Be creative.
- Earbuds or a phone case from eBay. I've purchased supplies for my iPhone at rock-bottom prices. But I'd stay away from sellers in China because delivery takes forever.
- Give a picture frame with a photo that will guarantee a smile.
- Prepare a colorful fruit basket. You could purchase a bowl at a dollar store and add a few pieces of fruit. Wrap in plastic wrap and add a bow.
- Make a cold pasta salad. Again the bowl is only $1 at a dollar store. Add diced veggies and cubed ham or turkey. Top with shredded cheese. Nutritious and thoughtful!
- Most of us have extra vases sitting around or, again, the dollar store has them. Add fresh-cut flowers from your garden and you'll have a floral arrangement.
- Using an old t-shirt of their favorite band, sports team, or cartoon character and make them a pillow. Stuff and sew either by hand or machine.
- Fill a coffee mug with sample-size coffee packets or tea bags.
- Purchase an annual plant at your local nursery. Place in a pretty pot and present your gift.
- A fragrant candle is always a nice gift. You could give a color or scent that matches their taste or décor. You could always give a scent of the season.
- Make a fridge magnet. Using a photo, place it on the magnet and cover with clear tape. Polish up the edges with a razor. Magnets can be bought in bulk so you could make many of these as gifts.
- Prepare a bowl of Chex Mix and add extra M&Ms. Yum!
26. How about a pretty pen and notebook? You can suggest they write a memoir.
27. Who doesn't like to exercise their brain? A book of crosswords or Sudoku puzzles would supply hours of entertainment.
28. A box of character band-aids for children of all ages to help make their boo-boos feel better.
29. A pair of soft, cozy socks or gloves to help keep their hands and feet warm.
30. Hair accessories that could be found at a dollar store or the dollar section in Target.
31. A pineapple with a burned CD of Hawaiian music will make a thoughtful tropical treat.
32. Who doesn't use Post-Its? In my opinion we should all have an emergency stash of Post-Its.
33. A $5 gift card to the movie theater. It might not buy them a ticket, but it could buy them a snack.
34. Lip balms are useful and fun gifts. They always come in handy and are sold in assorted flavors that people would enjoy.
Read More From Holidappy
35. Make a coupon book. Offer your services. If you are the recipient of the book be sure and take advantage of this good deed.
36. A yummy gift that I received, which was under $5, was a bottle of Diet Coke and a bag of chocolate covered pretzels presented in a gift bag. It made my day.
37. Suave products are inexpensive and work just as well as their expensive counterparts. Their Everlasting Sunshine hand and body lotion is my favorite.
38. Transfer $5 into their PayPal account as a gift for them to make a purchase.
39. Purchase an inexpensive calendar and fill in special dates that relate to you and the recipient.
40. Write them a poem. Frame it or publish it online.
41. How about a travel mug for their car? Fill it with packets of hot cocoa.
42. Give them a musical greeting card. Surely you could find a song that they could relate to.
43. Make a bookmark. Use glue to place photos of the recipient on cardboard. Secure the bookmark with laminate. Use a hole puncher to make a hole on top and insert a piece of ribbon. Your bookmark is now complete.
44. This idea is good for a child. Collect mementos of the recipient. Insert into a secure tin and you now have a time capsule to present to them. They can even bury it for a future discovery.
45. Create beaded bracelets using their favorite colors.
46. Give a single yellow rose. Did you know that a yellow rose symbolizes friendship and joy? Well, if you didn't know before, you know now.
47. If you are purchasing a gift for a prankster, how about a whoopee cushion? Think of the fun they will have when someone sits on it.
48. Do you have a coupon for a retail store that you don't need, but someone else could use? Give them the coupon or coupons. Who doesn't like to save a few bucks?
49. Travel size hand sanitizers from Bath and Body Works are under $5 and they are always useful and appreciated.
50. Who wouldn't want to be featured on the cover of a magazine? Anyone can with the Walmart Photo Center.
Your Gifts for Under $5
This concludes my list of gift ideas that you could purchase or create for under $5.00.
If you have any more ideas, please post them in the comments section below.
I'm sure your ideas and suggestions will be appreciated by many.
© 2012 Linda Bilyeu
Do You Have Any Ideas for Gifts Under $5
Kay Branan Niblett on October 12, 2019:
Thank you so kindly! Your suggestions were very helpful!
jo on April 06, 2019:
small stuffed animal
Robin Carretti from Hightstown on February 23, 2018:
Great gift full of creative things how good things come in under 5 packages my holiday of the tree passage
Nithya Venkat from Dubai on February 01, 2016:
These are great gift ideas, thank you for sharing. Not expensive but great.
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on October 24, 2015:
Happy shopping, Tills!
Mary Craig from New York on October 22, 2015:
The Queen of Lists never lets us down. With the holidays drawing near I thought it was a good idea to come back and read!
Virginia Allain from Central Florida on January 17, 2015:
Great ideas here! Thanks for sending a lot of visitors over to my hub about Gifts Under $10. I hope we helped lots of people shop on a budget.
Demas W Jasper from Today's America and The World Beyond on December 21, 2014:
How nice it is that someone (not to be named) resurrected this one at such a timely time!
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on December 21, 2014:
I'm glad to hear that y'all found some gift ideas for under $5.00.
Ho, Ho, Ho...Merry Christmas!
Stephanie Henkel from USA on December 21, 2014:
Great ideas for token gifts or stocking stuffers! These are also cute ideas for kids to give. Thanks, Sunshine! Merry Christmas!
Ease Feeds from Cyperspace on December 21, 2014:
These are fantastic ideas. I like the idea of scratch-off, but I think you should suggest they split the winnings if they win big. LOL.
Mary Norton from Ontario, Canada on December 21, 2014:
Great list. Your Christmas gift budget will really go a long way.
Mary Craig from New York on December 21, 2014:
A great hub to bring back for Christmas, Every Year!
Patricia Scott from North Central Florida on December 21, 2014:
You are right. There are so many not so expensive gifts we can find or create. And often these are appreciated so very much.
Have a very Merry Christmas this year ps
Angels are on the way to you this morning ..
voted up up and away :D
Peg Cole from North Dallas, Texas on December 21, 2014:
Awesome ideas for a reasonable price. I really like the homemade coupon book filled with ideas for personal services like a manicure, back rub, hand or foot massage, etc..
monia ben saad from In my Dream on December 05, 2014:
very imporant and helpful hubs that's help me to have some for friends
Thank you lady :)
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on November 26, 2014:
Tis the season for gift ideas under $5
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on October 04, 2014:
Hi Audrey and Bobbi, Thank you for stopping by to shop :)
Audrey Hunt from Pahrump NV on October 03, 2014:
Just received a nice pay-out from HP so dashed right over to your hub for how to make the most of my hard-earned money. Using idea #10 is one of my favorites.
Yes, I've been here before, at least twice, but what can I say? Love this gift ideas from my sunshine.
Barbara Purvis Hunter from Florida on October 03, 2014:
This is an awesome list and I voted up++. This will help so many people and I hope everyone reads it.
Have a great weekend.
Mona Sabalones Gonzalez from Philippines on September 11, 2014:
I love this list. The ideas are clever and thoughtful and the personal factor makes many of them light on the pocket but expensive to the heart:)
PhoenixV from USA on September 03, 2014:
These are all excellent ideas for gifts on a budget. I am going to bookmark this for the future holidays. Thanks, great ideas and excellent hub.
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on August 17, 2014:
Hey Y'all, Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts and witty comments ;)
Suzie from Carson City on August 17, 2014:
Here's an oldie but goodie. Evergreen, I believe it's called. Because these ideas and suggestions are fantastic NOW, yesterday and tomorrow!!
DreamerMeg from Northern Ireland on August 17, 2014:
Great ideas! Some really thoughtful and useful ideas here.
Leslie A. Shields from Georgia on August 16, 2014:
These are wonderful suggestions. They are money-savers, true enough, but they seem so very thoughtful... Thanks for sharing this hub... God Bless You.....
Sunil Kumar Kunnoth from Calicut (Kozhikode, South India) on August 16, 2014:
This is a wonderful idea as well hub. I will share it on my FB for maximum reach as people are fond of giving and accepting gifts. Thank you for sharing your idea here, which will benefit a lot of people.
Audrey Hunt from Pahrump NV on August 16, 2014:
I'm starting my Christmas shopping - yes I realize it's August. But it's your fault :) Your list gives me so many ideas. Thanks again Linda!
Barbara Purvis Hunter from Florida on August 11, 2014:
Hi Sunshine Linda,
This is a great hub---I am sharing it on FB so everyone can enjoy it.
Chitrangada Sharan from New Delhi, India on January 30, 2014:
Great gifting ideas, that too economical! I love receiving and giving gifts but not very expensive ones. Gifts are token of love and need not be very costly.
Thanks for sharing your lovely ideas!
Rebecca Mealey from Northeastern Georgia, USA on December 20, 2013:
I remember this one! Great hubs are like rock n' roll, they never die. Awesome ideas!
Audrey Hunt from Pahrump NV on December 20, 2013:
Lovely Linda - You've saved my life with your gifts for under $5. After spending my complete Christmas allowance, just learned that I forgot 4 people:) I'm busy now making numbers 1, 4, 12, 26. What a relief for me. Thanks a million!
Sannel on December 20, 2013:
Great ideas, Linda! I love useful gifts myself, like Hershey's Kisses. Who doesn't love chocolate?!
Suzette Walker from Taos, NM on December 20, 2013:
Great gift ideas for any time of the year, but especially now at Christmas! Always bringing sunshine into our lives!
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on August 10, 2013:
Lady E ~ Careermommy ... I'm glad you were able to pick up some gift ideas for under $5. Thank you for stopping by!
Tirralan Watkins from Los Angeles, CA on July 19, 2013:
Great list! You have a lot of good suggestions here.
Elena from London, UK on June 19, 2013:
This is very useful Linda, but it would be difficult to choose one, as you have spoilt us for choice. :-)
Off to share on Twitter. Thanks.
Linda Bilyeu (author) from Orlando, FL on April 17, 2013:
Exotic, Audrey, Rachelle...I'm glad you were able to pick up some gift ideas from this hub! :)
Rachelle Williams from Tempe, AZ on February 12, 2013:
Audrey Howitt from California on January 26, 2013:
I love these--especially the cake in a jar!