Greenmind is a writer, teacher, and musician who has written extensively about health and men's fashion.
Gift Ideas for Older Men
As an older man myself, I can tell you that for most of us the whole idea of getting presents is nice but hardly cause for excitement—after all, we've been around the sun so many times that nothing much surprises us. At holiday time there will be a tie, there will be a book, and there will probably be socks—maybe even funny ones.
I'm offering this guide from an older man's perspective to help you if you're stuck trying to find a good gift for your uncle, grandfather, or dad. Gifts for older men are always tricky, partly because it can be hard to figure out what would make us happy, especially since we generally don't seem all that happy (but we are, deep down inside—trust me).
I hope this little article helps you find a gift for the man in your life. If it does, feel free to share it—we understand that we're hard to buy for, and everyone will be happier if the gift-giving process is a bit less mysterious and stressful.
Seven Gift Ideas for Older Men
- Designer Men's Fragrance Samplers
- Vetelli's Hanging Toiletry Bag
- Beard Care Kit for Men
- Shiatsu Deep Kneading Massager
- Eguled Moon Lamp
- Romanticist BBQ Grill Accessories Set
- Snack Set
1. Men's Designer Fragrance Samplers
I love designer fragrances, especially those that are perfect for older men like myself. But high-end scents are expensive, and if I throw down my hard-earned cash for a full-sized bottle, I want to be sure that I actually like the fragrance. It's even more important to test scents that change subtly throughout the day, as designer fragrances tend to do—if you like it at first, you may not like it later, and vice versa. And testing ten different men's fragrances at a perfume counter just isn't going to work, at least not for me.
I have been buying these high-end men's fragrance samplers for some time now, as a way to try all kinds of scents that I otherwise couldn't afford to experience. These samplers give you a package of little vials, often with their own little spray tops, so you can apply a spritz in the morning and see how the palette evolves during the day. If I don't like one (and I often don't -- I am very discerning), I'm not out any real money — just a few dollars per scent.
You get enough to try each one for a week or two, and see how it follows you throughout the day. This is an excellent gift for an older man, almost tailor-made for an older man who has good taste in style and fragrance.
2. Vetelli's Hanging Toiletry Bag
I don't know a man my age who wouldn't love to see this under the tree, or in their birthday gift basket. Everyone travels at some point, even us old guys who you think just hang around the house, and our travel stuff tends to wind up all over some strange hotel room or someone's guest bedroom. Staying organized is not always our strong suit, let's be honest.
Vetelli makes a handsome, high-quality hanging toiletries bag that takes care of this little problem. I use a well-organized toiletry bag when I travel, and I know from experience that it makes a big difference in how cranky dad is when he has to pack up and can't find his razor.
- Features 4 internal pockets that expand to easily hold large travel accessories.
- Made of premium high grade PU leather, which is easy to clean and water resistant.
- Interior combines leather with canvas lining to resist spills and leaks.
- Can be hung or lay flat.
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE
Read More From Holidappy
3. Beard Care Kit for Men
I have a beard, and not one of those hipster brush deals that you see on young men -- boys, really -- everywhere I turn. No, my beard is a straight-up pepper-and-salt man's beard, and I like it. I try to take good care of it, but products for me and my beard are pricey, and I don't generally think about buying them. But with so many men sporting beards, there is no shortage of innovative, high-quality beard care products out there waiting to be tried.
I like this Viking Revolution beard-care kit because it takes care of one of those little things that I know I should be taking care of, but somehow always forget to. A beard care kit will make any hirsute older man breathe a little sigh of relief that he didn't have to go out and get it himself.
- Wooden Boars Hair Beard Brush
- Unscented Beard Oil
- Citrus Scent Beard Balm
- Peppermint and Eucalyptus Beard Wash and Conditioner
- Beard Scissors
- Travel Bag
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
4. Shiatsu Deep Kneading Massager
We have a Shiatsu massager, and it has quickly become a fixture in our house. I'm not sure how it does it, but it recreates the experience of a good, strong, neck and back massage. Add in heat, as this Shiatsu deep-kneading massager by Viktor Jurgen does, and you have the perfect gift for an older man whose neck and back hurt from carrying the weight of the world all day.
These units are surprisingly affordable, too, considering the power and durability that they possess. Added bonus -- they're also great for sore feet.
- Powerful 3D rotating massage nodes deep-kneading shiatsu massage to relax overused and tight muscles
- Gentle heating function soothes aching muscles
- Ergonomic design fits perfectly behind neck and body
- Made of environmentally benign materials
- Wrap protects skin and can be removed for cleaning
- Made to be used anywhere -- home, office, car, etc
- Silent operation
- 3-year quality-related warranty
5. Eguled Moon Lamp
This may not be quite as functional as other gifts in this guide, but I would love to have something like this cool moon lamp on the desk in my den. Not all gifts need to have a practical use, as far as I'm concerned. There are plenty of other mellow-inducing desk and bedside table lights that are like this one, but I really like the scientifically accurate moon face -- this isn't a goofy little light for baby's room.
When you don't know what to give him, you can always give him the moon!
- Based on the moon topography from NASA
- Perfectly reproduces moon's surface
- Touch control
- Memory brightness
- Cool white and warm yellow settings
- , Different Color Brings Different Feeling.
- Lamp stays cool even after long-time useO
- Odorless and non-toxic
- . It is definitely safe for your baby and kids.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
6. Romanticist BBQ Grill Accessories Set
According to a recent survey published by CNN.com, 75% of Americans own an outdoor grill or smoker. And of those families who cook outside, about half of the time the "grillmaster" is male (versus 22% female). What that means to you, the person looking for a gift for an older man of the house, is that grill accessories are an excellent gift.
As a big-time griller myself, I like the Romanticist grill accessories kit mainly for the "WOW" factor. When your dad, uncle, or granddad opens the sleek aluminum attache case, he'll see a gleaming assortment of just about every conceivable tool for the backyard grill. The list of included accessories is impressive, which means this might be the last grill kit he will ever need.
- Fork and tongs
- Sharp stainless knife
- Basting brush
- Grill brush with extra brush head
- 8 corn holders and 4 skewers
- Digital meat thermometer
- Brushed aluminum carrying case
- 2 year manufacturer's warranty
7. Salty Snack Sets
I have like every snack assortment anyone has ever given me, period. I ahve ties that I have never worn, but I have never not gobbled up salty snacks from a gift basket. This assortment of salty nuts hits all the right notes, has the right amounts, and will keep me and my friends content for the duration of holiday-season football games. It's not fancy, but it can't miss.
- Rustic wooden tray is filled to the brim with healthy goodies
- 12 compartments featuring an assortment of high quality fresh nuts
- Jumbo cashews, pecans, Brazil nuts, pistachios and filberts
- Freshly roasted
- Bonus pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- Raw walnuts
- Macadamia nuts (my personal favorite)
- OK Certified Kosher, non-dairy, sugar free, all-natural and high in protein.
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed; love it or get your money back.
Umesh Chandra Bhatt from Kharghar, Navi Mumbai, India on January 09, 2020:
Interesting article. Thanks.
Dianna Mendez on September 09, 2019:
Great gift ideas! I bought my hubby a Shiatsu massager years ago and he still uses it today for massaging stress from his upper body.
Louise Powles from Norfolk, England on September 07, 2019:
That massager looks a good idea. I know my Dad would love one of them.