Jessica is an experienced pet mom with dogs, cats, rats, fish, axolotls, a gecko, chickens, and ducks.
Pet keepers are some of the most passionate people there are. They love their furry, aquatic, or scaly friend,s and they spend a lot of time and energy doing what is best for them. If someone on your Christmas list this year is a little bit obsessed with their pets, here is a list of great gifts, regardless of what type of pet they have.
Included Are Holiday Present Ideas for Keepers of . . .
- Rodents and Small Animals
For Dog Parents
Dog parents are known for treating their dogs like their babies! Any custom gift is sure to be extra special. Most dog parents love receiving basic items such as toys, treats, dog clothes, dog beds, and gift cards to their favorite pet stores, but if you're looking for some more creative ideas, here are some examples:
- A dog treat dispenser with a camera: This cute and functional gift allows the recipient to watch their dog while they are away.
- A commissioned painting with their dog's face on it: This is an awesome opportunity to commission a local artist.
- Anything custom with their pet on it There are several websites where you can get mugs, Christmas ornaments, shirts, phone cases, or even socks with custom photos printed on them. These products are super popular this year, you can get a dog's face printed on almost anything!
For Cat Parents
Cat parents are also known for being extremely attached to their babies. Any of the sentimental custom gifts above are sure to be just as special for a cat parent (or really any pet parent) as they would be for a dog parent. A big difference between cats and dogs is that cats are usually able to climb on and scratch more things. For this reason, I would recommend things that will keep cats entertained, such as:
- Cat trees or cat towers: I would only buy a small one as a gift unless you know for sure that the person is ok with a large piece of furniture.
- Scratch toys: Cats love scratch toys—especially those with catnip.
- Interactive cat toys: Toys that move on their own or have automatic lasers can help keep cats entertained while their owners are away.
- Sentimental custom gifts: These will always be a hit for people who love their pets.
- A large cat wheel: Again, I would only choose this if I knew the recipient was ok with something that takes up a lot of space.
Read More From Holidappy
For Fish Keepers
Fishkeeping can be very expensive. If your loved one is into fish keeping, it is likely that they have a mile-long wish list of fish-related gear already. Here are some of the things that I have found to be the most fun or useful as fish-related gifts:
- A python aquarium hose: This aquarium hose connects to the sink, and it takes old water out and puts new water in. It is so much easier not to have to carry water buckets across the house. If they don't already have one, they definitely could use one.
- A gift card to a reputable fish store: This way they can pick out a fish to get or choose live plants or aquarium gear. This one is great because it would be very difficult to gift someone a live fish.
- 10 or 20-gallon fish tank: If you are gifting a beginning fish keeper, you could take advantage of large pet stores' dollar-per-gallon aquarium sales. I know as a beginning fish keeper, I would have loved to get a 10 or 20-gallon fish tank. You could even add an aquarium stand and accessories for a larger gift.
For Reptile Lovers
I'm including all reptiles in this section. I have seen so many people form such special bonds with their reptiles! It is difficult to buy reptiles toys and treats because they usually have very specific care requirements, but here are some gift ideas for the owners:
- Cute reptile-themed clothing or accessories: If your friend loves snakes, you might get her snake earrings. This would be a fun gift if your friend has too many reptiles to choose from for the personalized gifts above.
- Reptile carrier slings: These can be found on Etsy. This would be such a cute gift for someone with a bearded dragon!
- A gift card for their favorite pet store or an online feeder store: Mealworms and other live feeders can get expensive, so this is sure to make a big difference.
- Reptile care equipment: Get the recipient anything you know they have been wanting. An exoterra or an infrared reptile thermometer would both be awesome gifts.
For Rodent and Small Animal Keepers
Small pets such as rats, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, ferrets, etc. can be very fun to shop for! Pet stores usually have large sections for small animal stuff, and there are a ton of options to choose from. Here are some of my favorite options for small animals:
- Toys and chews: There are a lot of cute small animal toys and chews in pet stores and online. I would avoid buying things like hamster balls because those can be unsafe, but there are a lot of other cute toys to choose from.
- Treats: Look up which treats are safe for the specific animal the person you are buying for has and buy a few of those. The pet owner will surely be glad to not have to stock up for a while.
- Hammocks and hides: There are a lot of cute homemade options on Etsy. I love the quality of homemade hammocks, and it is also nice to support small businesses!
- Mini ball pit: A super fun option for animals like rats and ferrets is a mini ball pit. This is something your loved one might not have already, and they will have so much fun watching their pets play.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Jess H