Don is the master of giving funny and unique gifts. While his recipients don't always think they're funny, his efforts are always noted.
Gift Ideas to Put a Smile on Peoples' Faces
Picking out cool and funny gifts for friends, family members, and co-workers is often a right of passage for adulthood. After you do it for the first time, you'll likely do it several times a year.
Some may think that giving someone a gag gift is a lazy way to get out of gift-giving, and to those people, I say, you don't know what you're talking about! Proper gift-giving (no matter the gift) takes time and planning, which isn't exactly the easiest adult skill to learn.
The list of ideas below is meant to be a jumping-off point for those who want to give a lighthearted gift but are not quite sure what to give. I hope you enjoy it!
Unique Gift Ideas to Make People Laugh
- Weird Doorstops: When I buy a doorstop, I want something that I can actually use if I have to. That usually means that they have to have a bit of weight and solidness to them. Otherwise, it's just a cute ornament.
- Dust Cleaning Gel: This unique item is something that I had no idea existed until a friend of mine gave it to me as a gift. And in case you wanted to know, I do enjoy squishing it in my hands as well.
- The BS Button: These kinds of gag gifts come in a wide range of sayings and can be lots of fun when used in a setting where people are working or having a good time.
- Cool Jigsaw Puzzles: The variety of puzzles out there nowadays is truly incredible. You may have to look a little bit for that perfect scene to give someone, but you are likely to find it. I love to get and give those higher-end wooden jigsaw puzzles out as birthday presents.
- Vehicle Antenna Balls: Antenna toppers are one of those things that people don't really think about, but most will be pleased when given one as a gift. They make finding your car so much easier.
- Fun Gummy Candy: The good thing about this kind of candy is that it can be made into almost any shape, and be made to look really good if that's what you want. Everything from gummy sushi, giant gummy worms, and adult-themed gummy shapes can be found to use as a unique gift that will likely put a smile on peoples' faces.
Read More From Holidappy
Quick and Easy White Elephant Gifts
|Funny Gift Ideas for Guys||Funny Gift Ideas for Girls|
Trash Bags (Double Pack)
Fresh Balls Body Lotion
Edible Gold Leaf Sheets
"You Suck at Parking" Cards
Color Your Own Pillowcase
Bacon Scented Bar Soap
Gun Cylinder Pen Holder
Fart Scented Candle
Secret Decoder Ring
Canned Unicorn Meat
Uncommon Gifts for Friends and Family
- Toilet Timer: If you've got a family member who thinks the bathroom is a place to read a chapter in a book, then this may be the subtle hint you're looking for to get them to take care of business and get out. Give it as a gift or have it sitting where they'll see it.
- Cool Enamel Pins: While enamel pins aren't for everyone, they make a really fun gift for the right person. Knowing that they will wear it and what they like in entertainment is important. The soft enamel pin above is by Mondo and designed by Tom Whalen.
- Lightsaber Chopsticks: A great gag gift for Star Wars fans who love eating Oriental cuisine. I myself was given a set of these, and I must say that it is better to use them with non-slippery foods as the plastic they're made from is quite smooth.
- Funny Lawn Gnomes: Lawn gnomes are definitely a thing with some people. I love the lawns that have various gnomes scattered about the place. Sometimes, you'll find one doing something that will make you laugh out loud.
- Novelty Light Switch and Outlet Covers: There's a lot of variety to choose from when gifting these useful items. Find out what the person you want to give them to likes, and pick accordingly.
- Funny Cooking Aprons: Funny gifts for guys don't get any better than this, but only if they're a big fan of outdoor grilling. For some reason, people just don't seem to wear aprons as much when cooking in the kitchen, but always wear them when cooking some burgers in the backyard.
Crazy Present Ideas for Friends
- Humorous Signs or Posters: From mildly funny to insanely lewd, there is a poster for just about any type of person you want to get one for. If you feel confident that they will indeed hang it, and it really looks nice, you can frame it as well.
- Toilet Tattoos: These are exactly what they sound like. Most of them are made to go onto the toilet lids themselves and are pretty much like vinyl stickers. Not quite as popular as they used to be, but they make a great gag gift.
- Fake Lottery Tickets: These types of gifts probably should be given with careful thought. Watching someone realize they've won and then realize they've lost is hilarious as hell, but be prepared for a little anger.
- Fake Movie Money: Again, use caution when using this as a prank. Friends of mine gave some of these bills to a guy and then took him to a place where bills were thrown at the stage. The outcome was much more intense than they thought it would be, as the people on the stage were not amused.
- Dime In Ring: Another prank that could get you a punch in the mouth by someone you've been in a relationship with. I find it better to use these on real friends you want to make nervous and put on the spot. The reaction doing it this way is much more agreeable to everyone and will likely get a lot of laughter.
- Slang Playing Cards: If you think someone you know needs a vocabulary improvement, these make an excellent gift idea. There's much more of a variety than you may think, so choose wisely.
Funny Books That Make Great Gag Gifts
There are lots of peculiar books out there that make wonderful prank gifts for the people in your life. Some are easily recognizable for their comedic effect, while others are a bit more subtle. Below are just a few suggestions for you to consider.
- Eat What You Watch: A Cookbook for Movie Lovers by Andrew Rea
- How to Fight a Bear ...and Win by Bathroom Readers' Institute
- Make Your Own Damn Movie by Lloyd Kaufman
- Outwitting Squirrels: 101 Cunning Stratagems by Bill Adler Jr.
- The Gashlycrumb Tinies by Edward Gorey
Tips For Giving Funny Gag Gifts
- Always try to make sure the gift fits the person's personality you're giving it to. The odds of them liking it will drastically go up when you do this.
- Giving gag gifts should not be permission to be as cheap as possible. If the gift itself happens to be on the cheap side, that's fine, but it would be poor taste to be cheap for the sake of being cheap.
- Practical things that people use make wonderful gifts. Not only can these gifts cause a chuckle, but you'll have the peace of mind that whoever you give them to will use them.
© 2022 Don