The Best Gifts for Tween Girls 8-13
9-13 Year Old Girls or young women
The term "tween" girls is a relatively new term. I don't remember being referred to with this term when growing up, so I'm guessing it's an advertising term to zero in on this certain age group. It probably refers to those girls between the ages of 9 and 13 years of age or pre-teens.
These young girls may still like dolls, and have started to care more about clothes and boys. Friends are also becoming more important to her as they are trying to figure out how to deal with new feelings and experiences . Of course, girls mature at different rates, so a few may think some of these ideas as "babyish" while others will not.
Here are some gift ideas that may appeal to most of this age group, whether it be for Christmas, birthday, Hanukkah, or any special occasion. I've reviewed the best rated and most creative items this year, that is sure to please.
Tweens survival guide
- Chicken Soup for the Preteen Soul by Jack Canfield was written because this age group wasn't written about before now and is one of a series that have been written for other age groups by this author.
Jack describes this book as a survival guide and tackles tough issues that preteens or "tweens" face today, such as divorce, changes in friendships, life issues, family problems, attitudes and adjustments as they mature. Stories from celebrities such as NSYNC, Mia Hamm and Beverly Mitchel.
Custom Designed Laptop or Tablet Cover
- A custom designed laptop sleeve or tablet cover is a very grown up item for a young girl. She will feel special carrying her laptop to school or friends homes in this very fun and fashionable sleeve. There are many sites online that will help her design her own laptop or tablet cover
Beanbag chair and scrapbook
- Here's a fun gift idea for your tween daughter, niece or cousin --a Furry Beanbag Chair.This is made from synthetic “fur” of polystyrene and comes in many fun colors. It will be a favorite place to sit and do homework, listen to music and watch her favorite shows. Maybe get a few for her and friends.
- A scrapebook kit can help your tween daughter preserve memories of the good times. She can make her own or have friends come over to work on their last memorable event. The kit consists of a hardcover book, markers, stickers, tape, allows the child to create memories in book style with her favorite photos. This can be made by the company in the mail or online by the child. This is a good,creative and fun way to share memories with family and friends.
Make her own Jewelry
- Make her own jewelry using hemp. These hemp bracelets have been around for generations and are fun and easy to make. A group of friends can have an enjoyable afternoon making many designs anywhere they go.
Klutz Hemp Bracelets Kit comes with 10 feet of hemp string, assorted beads, and clear instructions to make up to 10 bracelets. This is a favorite activity of girls. It allows them to make a unique piece of jewelry and share an activity with friends and family. A very economical gift from Fat Brain Toys Company.
A company by the name of Jewelry Basics, makes a variety of kits with everything needed to create the perfect necklace, bracelets, or earrings. The kits are inexpensive,with easy to follow directions. A jewelry making party with her friends makes this gift a super fun afternoon. A class version is available for teaching larger groups.
A third company, Make Your Own, has jewelry-making kits as well and they looks a little different and more grown up. Some are the Retro Jewelry Glass Pendant Jewelry Craft Making Kit, The Mystery Tree Glass Pendant kit, and the Earring Abstract Art kit. The feature online videos for each package and make great jewelry-making parties for girls and their moms.
Portable music players
- Another fun gift for the preteen girl is a way to carry all her favorite music wherever she goes. of her own.
Apple iPod shuffle 2GB is the newest 4th generation model to carry up to 500 songs. This is very compact, measuring only 5”x 5” x 1” and comes with ear buds. It has an easy to control pad to play music, pod casts and audiobooks. This one is pink and comes in other fun colors.
The Tomameri Portable MP4 Player MP3 Player is also an e- book reader, voice recorder, video player, and photo player. It holds a lot of information with the 32Gb card and comes in so many cool colors, like red, lime, blue, white, pink, black and purple to name a few.
Custom designed headbands
- Making a custom designed headband is a sure way to develop her style and show others.Watch the video for some ideas.
Alex Ribbon Headband Kit with 14 interchangeable ribbons is another necessary accessory for the fashion conscious tween girl!
The kit consists of a hard plastic headband and 7 reversible ribbons that slide onto the band. Each ribbon has two different designs on either side ,they can be reversed to have a total of 14 different looks.
- Leg warmers and leggings are popular and add style to her wardrobe.Levi's ® Girls Leg Warmers is another must have fashion accessory to have this year.
They can be worn with a dress or skirt or shorts. Some girls even wear them under a long tee shirt. They are very fashionable wit the Levi® label in an assortment of colors and materials.
Beauty items for tweens
- Young girls also need to think about their skin needs and breakouts may begin earlier than the official teen age of 13.
Some of the stand-bys for generations are Neutrogenia, Eucerin, Proactiv and a few natural lines such as Kidskin.The Kidskin gentle sensitive skin cleanser is a good start to the changing skin needs of a pre teen and teen girl. The company has a line up for the acne prone, a moisturizer, and combination kits.
Cosmetics and make-up for a 13 year old is a sensitive topic that parents and their daughters struggle with. It's exciting to start wearing some but many girls don't know when to stop.
Hello Kitty has start up cosmetic kits called Happy Fun Makeup Collection featuring lips glosses,eye liners and eye shadow palette to start with. A choice of colors is available and she can experiment at home before going out in public. There are other Hello Kitty kits featuring just eye shadow,and lip gloss palettes.
As far as facial makeup is concerned, it may be a wise decision to start with a light powder type and not a liquid that may clog the pores and aggravate a new skin condition.
e.l.f Cosmetics, which stands for eyes, lips and face, has a few options for young faces. Their Disney Snow White Face Collection gift box,and The Fairest of them All Limited Edition Face Collection Silky Smooth Powder are safe products. Another ELF makeup kit is the Jasmine Face Makeup Set Disney Princess Beauty set, which includes a a mirror, brush,a make up guide,shadow, powder, eyeliner, lip color, bronzers and a blush with applicators.This makes a cute gift and is a limited edition product.
Buying a gift package or trial kit with all the products line in small sizes may be a good introduction to skin care so check out some of the products here.
Sing her heart out
Let the secret rock star out with her own karaoke machine. Your pre teen can practice her melodies in the privacy of her room and let loose at the party! She and her friends can be the life of the party with good wholesome fun! here is a review of some well received systems that are affordable and easy to use.
The first one is the iCarly Sing Out Loud CD + G Karaoke System that is a complete system for your tween daughter and friends to sing along to. This makes for a lot of fun and brings out even the shyest girl. The lyrics can be watched on a black and white monitor and duel microphones will allow her to sing along with a friend or family member. Among the cool features it has a 20 track programmable memory, built-in camera and enhanced vocal effects.
Another good choice is Singing Machine SML283BK CDG Karaoke Player made by a company called the Singing Machine. This comes in colors of pink and black,has two microphone jacks with volume control, and built in speakers. The LED display with red and blue lights is good for dimly lit rooms.
A little more expensive model is the Pyle PWMA120BM - Portable PA Speaker and Wireless Mic. It comes in two versions-Bluetooth and wireless. Among the capabilities of this model, the Bluetooth version has a portable and compact PA system, the ability to stream audio from most devices, and a wireless hand-held microphone.
The other wireless version includes built-In one channel VHF wireless receiver, built-n 12 V 1.2A rechargeable battery, and separate wired MIC & wireless MIC volume controls.
This looks a little more professional but is easy to use and lightweight. The Pyle PWMA120Bm can also play FM stations and has one of the highest ratings of the portable karaoke machines.
Summary of tween girl gift ideas
So there are some popular gift ideas for tween girls; whether it be for Christmas, Hanukkah or a birthday.
The "tween" girls are not children nor are they teens yet, so trying to find a gift that they won't roll their eyes at is sometimes a daunting task. These are a few ideas for the "tween" girl in your life.
They are geared toward self discovery and friendship building, which is so important at this age. Some gifts may be too young for her or too old; you need to ask questions or watch what she talks about on TV.
Maybe just watch some of these preteen shows to get some good ideas yourself!
© 2009 Stacie L