Popular Gift Ideas for Eight-Year-Old Girls (2017 - 2018)
Your Tutorial to Selecting the Perfect Gift for a Young Girl
The young girl you are looking to purchase a gift for is likely in the 2nd or 3rd grade. Perhaps she has the occasional sleepover. She's likely reading chapter books. She's becoming a wizard with all things Apple and perhaps she's beginning to mix it up on the soccer pitch.
She's probably a bit of all these things, but the one thing she is definitely becoming is aware of her friends and her sense of self. Finding a really great gift for a special young lady that aligns with her is really hard, isn't it?
Reading the list below is your chance to find a few good gift suggestions and to help others by voting for gift ideas you like best. I have three young daughters that I've searched to find the perfect gift for each year. Ever since I've constructed this list, kept track of the voting, and gotten her one of the most-liked ideas, she's been happy on her birthday and Christmas with her presents. It's also worked out really well for when she needs to bring a gift to one of her friend's parties.
While, at eight, whether it is for a Christmas gift or birthay gift, most gifts are geared toward the creative side (ever see how creative kids can get with duct tape), there are a few suggestions for the active, curious, and game-loving kid. Take a look at the list and remember to vote.
Each year, I drop the gifts with the lowest percentage of yes votes and replace them with the new gift suggestions.
Get Her a Gift Based on What She Likes to Do
Gifts for 8-year-old girls - Most kids enjoy crafts, dress-up, and play activities from dolls to soccer.
Trends Among Eight-Year-Olds
Over the last few years, I've been watching what the kids play with at school for gift ideas.
- In 2011, Silly Bandz had a good run with young girls. They wore them on their wrists and traded them with each other.
- In 2012, girls used a string to make things like cat’s cradles, witch’s brooms, and hammocks. During the day, they carried the string wrapped around their wrist, and when they had a break they played with it like crazy.
- In 2013, the trend was rubber-band bracelets. Girls would use kits to make them for each other and give them to friends.
- In 2014, arts and crafts of different kinds seemed to have become the most popular gift for young girls.
- In 2015, arts and crafts remain in the top spot.
- In 2016, arts and crafts are the most liked suggestions, while people clearly don't like ideas that suggest candy (gum ball machine) or pocket knives (Even though my own children asked for them).
- In 2017, arts and crafts continue to lead. Surprising that gender based gifts appear stronger (nail polish) and toys that are more gender nuetral were considered bad ideas (Nerf bow and arrow). I'd like to find some gift ideas that are tutorials or instructions to build things with industrial goods like duct tape and rope to see if people like them.
#1: An Art Kit
As girls approach the age of eight, they start to appreciate high quality colored pencils and special paper for their creative efforts. Art supplies purchased in a kit that has lots of goodies is great, but you can also pick out items one by one and put your hand-selected kit together for her.
Either way, she's likely to appreciate this present. I have to say, we got this kit for our daughter, and she's loved it. She had a choice. An art kit or an iPod and she chose the art kit. We were pleased!
Is an art set a good gift idea for an 8 year old girl?
#2: Friendship Bracelet Kit
As little kids, our girls started out with best-friend lockets. Now they want to make each other friendship bracelets. They put a lot of effort and detail into these projects.
Friendship bracelet supplies are an inexpensive, but creative gift idea. Get them:
- Embroidery Floss (multiple colors)
Then print out instructions online on how to make a bracelet, and they will stay busy for hours!
Is a friendship bracelet kit a good present idea for an 8 year old girl?
#3: Rubber-band Loom
Girls at eight are becoming artistic, and they can weave some pretty incredible rings, bracelets, and necklaces with a rubber-band loom. The rubber bands come in a bright assortment of colors. They can even weave the rubber bands with their fingers to make designs like fishbones.
At a birthday party, we gave each girl a bag of rubber bands and the girls spent about one-hour making bracelets as a craft. The kids loved it. The only downside is these little rubber bands seem to be quite messy, but they are totally worth it because the kids love playing with them so much!
Is a Rainbow Loom a good gift for an eight year old girl?
#4: Make Your Own Book Kit
This gift idea is creative and educational: kids use to write, illustrate and publish their self-authored book. You can mail in the story to the company so they can publish it, or you can put together the book online. For the kid who likes to write and draw, this can be fun. it's a kit
Most second and third graders are writing stories in their classrooms, and this will help build on the writing foundation they're developing. Our daughter received this as a gift and liked it, but she also received a locking diary, and she seemed to like the diary just as much.
Is the Illustory a good gift idea for an eight year old girl
While girls and boys love to play games on the iPod and Wii, they also enjoy some classic games like Connect 4 and Twister. I had this game as a kid, and we played it a ton with the neighborhood kids and occasionally the parents.
Our daughter goes to a chess class, and we have had fun playing against each other. A gift that you can play with together is a commitment to interact with a child and spend time with them; it’s more than just, “here is something you will like.” This gift works well for boys and girls.
Are classic games a good gift idea for an eight year old girl?
#6: A Soccer Ball
Unfortunately, sports toys often go overlooked as gift ideas for girls. My daughter plays soccer and loves to kick the ball around at home. I also think she would enjoy a basketball hoop that is adjusted to a height where she could shoot and make a basket. If I was looking for a gift for an 8-year-old boy, I'd strongly consider a sports-based gift. I think it's even more important to consider them for little girls because they can be overlooked.
Strongly consider gifts that support physical activity, confidence, and teamwork. These will contribute to a healthier child with a richer life.
Is sports gear a good gift idea for an eight year old girl?
#7: iPod Touch With iTunes Card
I've noticed a steady increase in how much our daughter listens to music and talks on the phone. She's asking for a cell phone, but we aren't quite ready to get her one, partly because of the monthly fee and partly because we don't think she is ready for one.
However, I do think she would love an iPod Touch (“iTouch”). It's an excellent music device. It can be used as a phone if you install Skype on it, and it plays lots of games for kids, available in the Apple application store. The latest iPod Touch shoots high-quality pictures and video. The iPod Touch is a cool gift. (They also sell them at Costco, which is a definite plus for me.)
An expensive electronic gift could be a force for good if it came with the right message, something like, “You are ready for a big-girl item. Keep showing us that you are old enough for this, by using it at appropriate times, and making sure you don't lose it; it’s hard to replace…”
Gift givers who want to splurge can tack on a gift certificate for the App store with an iTunes card. The child can purchase apps, music and movies. iTunes gift cards may be purchased online from Apple.
Is an Ipod Touch a good gift for an eight year old girl
If you answered NO to the poll above on the Ipod Touch as a gift:
The biggest negative to the Ipod Touch is
#8: Locking Diary
Our daughter got two diaries with different locking devices. One had a voice-activated password and the other a key. The construction of the electronic journal was weak, and it soon broke, but the one with a key was pretty cool. She loved them both, so I don't think you can go wrong. It's pretty clear that she enjoyed the idea of having a place to keep her secrets.
Is a locking diary a good gift for an 8 year old girl?
#9: Kids Interior Design Kit
Hearthsong makes a number of design kits for children that taps into their creative side. We had a lot of fun with our girls picking out paint colors for their rooms and letting them decide on where to put their dresser and bed.
Is a kids design studio a good gift for an 8 year old girl?
#10: Kid Safe Nail Polish
As a dad, I'm always a little leery of reinforcing stereotypes for my daughter, but her aunt got her a birthday gift that included this sparkling nail polish. She loved it, but it did cause a bit of trouble because she put it on unsupervised. The good news is that little kids nail polish is a lot easier to clean up. If you get her some, make sure it isn't toxic!
Is nail polish a good gift idea for an 8 year old girl?
#11 Mini-Play Makeup
This is a no mess makeup kit. It's totally imaginary. The child pretends to put makeup on with brushes, but nothing comes off the brush onto the skin. I thought it was silly, but I watched my girls play pretend for hours. So wierd, but little girls love this! The best part is that they don't make a mess!
Is a pretend makeup gift a good idea?
#12 An American Girl Doll
For all three of our daughters, we or their grandparents have given them an Americal Girl doll as a Christmas gift or a birthday gift. These are expensive toys, but the girls have loved them and kept them in pretty good shape over the years. At some point, the girls outgrew the dolls, but they also made great hand-me-down gifts. We received and passed on several of these and each time the kids loved getting them, even when they were used.
Is an American Girl Doll a good gift?
2017 - 2018 Poll: Best Gift Ideas for Eight Year Old Girls
What is the best gift for an 8 year old girl
Differing Views About the iPod Touch
In the poll, I ran in 2013 about all ten gift ideas, about 15% of people selected an iPod Touch as the best gift for an eight-year-old girl. However, in the poll on the individual presents, 59% of people said an iPod Touch wasn't a good gift idea.
This difference suggests that the iPod Touch is pretty polarizing. The people that think it's a good idea must also be selecting it as the best idea in the overall survey.
I suspect lots of people think the iPod Touch is an imperfect gift idea, because it’s expensive, and because they don't want a child paying that much attention to an electronic device. That’s consistent with the increased popularity of arts-and-crafts gift ideas in the last few years. The make-your-own-book kit and the friendship bracelet gifts are now more attractive than the iTouch.
Five Things to Put in her Easter Basket
This list of gift ideas wouldn't be complete unless we comprehensively covered a basic tutorial on creating an amazing Easter experience. Add these things to her basket and she will be delighted.
- Sees Candy eggs - These are really small and extra creamy chocolate eggs. Once the child has her basket, have her hunt these tasty treats!
- Pez - I'm not sure why, but I'm pretty sure that a Pez dispenser with some candy cartridges would make my daughter happy all by itself.
- Chocolate Bunny - My suggestion is to go smaller and higher quality chocolate. Little ones love them!
- Tradition - Add your favorite treat to her basket and tell her the story of how much you loved it as a kid. The story is probably more fun for her than the candy. I've done this with my kids and they LOVE it!
- Money Egg - It doesn't have to be money, but putting a small gift into a plastic egg can be the perfect balance to a basket filled with sugar.
I know, kids get enough sweets. Everyone would love a few ideas without the sugar!
- Stuffed bunny - Every year we give our daughters a stuffed fluffy bunny, then a few days after Easter, we collect them and put them away for the next year. It's a family tradition now that just sort of started on its own.
- Earrings - Not all kids have their ears pierced, but some small earrings have been a favorite.
- Easter Dress and Shoes - Nothing is cuter than a little girl in an Easter dress and shiny shoes. If she's the type of child that likes frills, now is the time!
- Colored Eggs - I'm always afraid we are going to lose an egg in the house if we hide them, so the night before we color them and then we put one or two in the baskets and only hide the plastic eggs that won't smell so bad if nobody finds them.
- Movie Passes - Not sure why, but we've gone to the movies a few times on Easter. The theatre is usually empty and it's a really nice time with the kids!
2016 - 2017 Poll Results
Gift ideas for 8-year-old girl poll results for 2016 - 2017
2015 - 2016 Poll Results
2014 - 2015 Poll Results
2013 - 2014 Poll Results
2012 - 2013 Poll Results
Questions & Answers
Do 8-year-olds like gifts for the outdoors?
Some kids love gifts that can be used outdoors from bug catching kits to sporting equipment and kites. It just depends on the kid.
35 votes so far. Click a star to add your vote!