Best Gifts for Yorkie Lovers
If you are looking for the perfect gift idea for a Yorkie lover, your job is easy. Yorkie owners love anything that reminds them of their beloved dog. I can tell you this from firsthand experience. My wife and I have been proud Yorkshire Terrier parents for a couple of years now.
Every time a holiday or birthday or anniversary comes around I try to think of the things my wife loves most in the world in order to pick out the right presents. I know she loves our little dog, and no Yorkie-related item has failed to make a big impression thus far.
I’ve become something of an expert on this topic in recent years, and in this article you’ll read about my favorite finds. These are Yorkie-themed gifts I’ve given over th years, and each of these choices knocked the ball out of the park for me.
First, a few words of advice:
- Watch for quality. Because Yorkies are so popular there are a whole lot of companies trying to make merchandise to satisfy this market. Some are better than others, so read reviews and do comparisons to make sure you are getting a quality product.
- No doggy outfits! Unless you are really sure your owner will want it. For some reason people like to dress these little dogs up in all kinds of humiliating costumes. We will have none of this and neither will our dog. Don’t go down that road unless you are absolutely sure it’s a good idea!
- Look for similar items. In this article you’ll find gift ideas that I personally love, but you might have better ideas. Maybe you’ll find something similar but a bit different that what I am recommending and you’ll like it more. Consider this list a jumping off point.
Here are my best ideas (so far) when it comes to cool, unique gifts for Yorkie lovers!
There are a few key differences in gameplay compared to what you might expect, but otherwise its pretty similar to another property trading game you may have played before.
Of course the tiles and cards are different. For example, instead of the tiles representing property they each represent a different little dog. Instead of houses and hotels you mark your territory with bones. You think getting sent to Jail is bad; in this game you get sent to the kennel!
I gave this to my wife for her birthday last year and she loved it. If you want to surprise a Yorkshire Terrier parent with a unique game they never would have dreamed existed, Yorkie-opoly will be a big hit. Normal people might not get it, but it is a ton of fun.
You can play up to six players which makes it great for families. There is even a one-hour version for those of us who have attention spans similar to our dog's.
Sandicast Sculptures and Ornaments
These are really cool and we have a few of them around the house. There are larger life-size statues and sculptures that are kind of expensive, and smaller desk-top sculptures and even Christmas ornaments.
The details are pretty good, and while you won’t mistake a statue for a real Yorkshire Terrier they are very well done. (Hint: the statues don’t move where real Yorkies can’t stay put for more than three seconds.) However, they might be good enough to freak out the cat.
Yorkshire Terrier Sandicast Christmas ornaments make great decorations around the holidays, or you can give a statue that can be displayed all year long. Smaller ones can be given as desktop items for office workers. Having a statue as a reminder around the office or home lifts a Yorkie parent’s mood.
Always check the reviews and look closely at details when selecting these kinds of items. Some brands are better than others, so you want to make sure you get a quality piece of art.
Yorkie Salt and Pepper Shakers
Here's another item we love, and will have you looking like a hero in the eyes of your Yorkie lover. They’re that are attracted to each other by magnets in their noses. When they come together it looks like they are smooching. How adorable is that? A lot adorable, that’s how much. Yorkshire Terrier salt and pepper shakers
This is a slam slam-dunk idea where really you don't have to worry about whether the Yorkie lover in your life actually needs new salt and pepper shakers. These little figurines are a little larger than you'd expect, and look great as knickknacks. Truthfully, we'd keep these things around even if we didn't use them as functional salt and pepper shakers, just because they look so cool.
There are few different types of Yorkie Salt and Pepper shaker sets out there but this is the one I liked the most. You’ll also need to make sure you get a supply of salt and pepper to fill them up!
Plush Yorkshire Terrier
A plush Yorkie is a great idea for kids. It is soft and cuddly like the real thing, but it’s a lot easier to get it to sit still.
Then again I’m not a kid and I still think it’s cool. It’s a well-made toy, and you can put it on display somewhere as a knickknack. There are a bunch of different kinds out there, but once again this is the one I liked best and my wife loved it.
We have ours stashed on a shelf just out of our dog's reach. He can see it up there and for a while was intent on finding a way to get to it, but he’s pretty much given up at this point.
It is important to emphasize that this is not a dog toy, and it’s not for dogs to play with. This plush Yorkshire Terrier is meant as a human toy or for display. For such small dogs Yorkies somehow manage to be quite adept at tearing things apart, and you never want to give them items they can rip and choke on.
ZippyPaws Puzzle Toys
Just so Yorkie doesnt feel left out, here’s a stuffed toy he can play with. One surefire way to get to Yorkie owner's heart is to spoil their pet as much as they do!
The toy is like a puzzle, and your dog has to figure out how to get the chipmunks out of the log. It took our dog a while at first, but he got the job done. Now that he has figured it out those chipmunks don't stand a chance.
It may seem like the log is too big for such a small dog but our Yorkie is under five pounds and he has no trouble with it. The has become one of this favorite toys and he seems to like dragging the log around as much as he likes chasing after the chipmunks. Yorkshire Terries are little dynamos, and having a toy like this that keeps their attention and provides a physical challenge is important. ZippyPaws Chipmunk Burrow
ZippyPaws puzzle toys provides endless hours of exercise and mental stimulation for a Yorkshire Terrier. There are a lot of different versions. We also have a bunnies that hide in a carrot. Why bunnies would hide in a giant carrot I really don't understand, but it makes no difference to our dog
More Yorkie Gift Ideas
Here are a few more thoughtful gifts for fans of the Yorkshire Terrie:
- Pandora-Style Charms: What better way for ladies to show their Yorkie love? My wife has a couple of them for her Pandora bracelet, but there are also charms for necklaces and other types of bracelets. If you are thinking about one of these for your wife or girlfriend but she doesn’t have a bracelet yet, this is a great way to get her started. Maybe even create a Yorkie-only bracelet or necklace for her!
- Pedants: If the Pandora thing is a bit too much, there are some pretty Yorkie-styled pendants, earrings and other jewelry. Some of these look better than others, so be sure to read the reviews before making your choice
- Signs and Stickers: Clever signs can not only serve as nice decorations around the home, but also as warnings to any intruder that a ferocious beast lurks within the home.
- Calendars: Yeah, we have one of those too it’s kind of funny how you see a lot of your own dog when you are looking at pictures of others.
- Car Window Decals: It might seem like overkill, but it makes a Yorkie owner feel good to see little reminders here and there. And it tells the drivers behind you what kind of dog you own. Of course they care!
- Coffee Mugs: You should have your pet by your side when you drink your morning coffee. For Yorkshire Terrier owners who aren’t so lucky, give them the gift of a coffee mug.
Good luck picking out the perfect gift for the Yorkie owner in your life. I hope this list helped. All dog owners love their pet, but it seems like Yorkshire Terriers are one of those breeds that really make people go crazy.
Finding something with a Yorkie on it isn’t hard. These little guys seem to be everywhere! But picking out unique, fun and interesting gifts is always a challenge.
Maybe it is because they are so tiny and seemingly in need of protecting (they are not) or because they appear so helpless (again, not). Maybe it because Yorkies are so cute and spunky and clever.
Then there’s that mind control thing. Are Yorkshire Terriers actually highly evolved life-forms that have learned to tap into human brainwaves and subliminally control our actions? What else explains how a 5-pound furball makes the most intelligent creatures on the planet do its bidding and answer its every whim while it bounces around playing and eating all day?
Food for thought, but for now it is probably best to keep on filling up our lives with all things Yorkie.