Writing Nag is a pseudonym of blogger Patricia Biro. She writes about home and garden, finance, creative writing, and vintage collectibles.
What is "Pantsuit Nation"?
"Pantsuit Nation" began as a private, invite-only Facebook group to give Hillary Clinton fans a safe place to post about the upcoming presidential election. Originally, according to an SFGate article, "The idea was to get a bunch of Hillary Clinton supporters to wear pantsuits to the polls on Nov. 8th."
But the popular resistance group has evolved since the election to be a supportive, positive, and inclusive movement where members can share personal stories of disappointment, inspiration, hope, activism, and more in their communities. Currently, this inspiring group has close to 3.6 million members and is growing daily.
"But I feel pride and gratitude for this wonderful campaign that we built together. This vast, diverse, creative, unruly, energized campaign. You represent the best of America, and being your candidate has been one of the greatest honors of my life."
— Hillary Rodham Clinton
Read More From Holidappy
Pantsuit Nation Gifts
- Nasty Woman Swag: When Trump said Hillary Clinton "was such a nasty woman!" during the 3rd presidential debate, woman and men all over the world immediately embraced it. There are pins, t-shirts, coffee cups, stickers, and more. Any one of these things would make a perfect gift for your PSN/HRC supporter. Remember Nasty Woman Get Things Done!
- Hillary Rodham Clinton Figurine: Whether you choose a bobble head, an action figure, or a Clinton nutcracker with stainless steel thighs, a HRC figurine will liberate your desktop, office space, or home!
- A Book or Many Books: Whether you choose Hillary Clinton's newest book, What Happened, published in 2017 or Hard Choices, which was published in 2015, or a book that celebrates a cause your gift recipient is interested in, books are a good choice for a present. Popular liberal titles include In Defense of a Liberal Education by Fareed Zakaria or Reason: Why Liberals Will Win the Battle for America by Robert B. Reich.
- A Lasting Gift: Make a donation in their name to their favorite organization or community group. Favorite organizations that many Pantsuit Nation members support include: ACLU, NAACP, Planned Parenthood, Black Lives Matter, the Council on American Islamic Relations, GLAAD, Human Rights Campaign, Greenpeace, National Immigration Law Center, The Nature Conservancy, or Everytown for Gun Safety.
- A Decorative Safety Pin: A safety pin or a unique safety-pin brooch, necklace, or jewelry piece tells other members that they can feel safe with you. Look for community-based craftspeople on Etsy. Read more about the symbolism on the safety pin movement.
- Official Pantsuit Nation Gear
- A unique handcrafted gift from a local business or an online community marketplace like Etsy.
- A massage voucher: Massage is just one way to deal with election stress.
- Travel accessories: The official Women's March on Washington on January 21, 2017 has many Pantsuit Nation members busy making travel plans. Choose a weekender if it's in your budget or you can't go wrong with packing cubes.
- A subscription to a reputable independent news publication. After a long election season of "fake news" it's time to standup and support newspapers with journalistic integrity including the New York Times and the Washington Post.
- Pantsuit Nation - Pantsuit Nation
Originally started as a campaign to encourage wearing pantsuits on election day 2016, a small private Facebook group has quickly become a movement of 3.7 million. We are so much stronger together.
- Contact Us | American Civil Liberties Union
We want to hear from you. If you have general inquiries, suggestions, or concerns, please consult our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) or select from the following list:
The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate race-based discrimination.
- Planned Parenthood | Official Site
Planned Parenthood | Official Site
- Get Involved With TNC | The Nature Conservancy
"Environmentalist" is not a bad word! If you like the outdoors, then you care about protecting it. See how you can get involved!
- Subscribe to The Washington Post
- The New York Times: Give an All Access Subscription
- Newsweek - News, Analysis, Politics, Business, Technology, Lifestyle, Photos and Video
Newsweek provides in-depth analysis, news and opinion about international issues, technology, business, culture and politics.
© 2016 Patricia Biro
Virginia Allain from Central Florida on November 16, 2016:
Good ideas. I think you could add to this list, a decorative safety pin jewelry piece. Many in the group support that movement to show their support for anyone feeling threatened or under attack.