Sadie Holloway is a workshop facilitator who teaches interpersonal communication skills to help people strengthen their relationships.
What should you give your girlfriend when she moves in with you? Here are some thoughtful housewarming gift ideas for your sweetheart. Whether you're looking for something romantic or something practical as you start your new life together as a live-in couple, this list has you covered.
If your girlfriend has just said 'yes' to moving in with you, here are some lovely gifts to give her that say 'Welcome Home!" These housewarming gift ideas range from practical presents that will help her settle in to your new shared space to romantic gifts that show her how happy you are to be in a committed relationship with her.
- A heart-shaped keychain: When you are ready to give your girlfriend her very own set of keys to your place, attach them to a beautiful crystal keychain. If your girlfriend prefers gifts that aren't so girlie and feminine, you could pick out another type of keychain for her. Whatever you choose, give this gift to your girlfriend with a bit of ceremony. Moving in with you is a big step in your relationship, after all.
- Brand new bed linens: Moving in together will put a fresh perspective on your relationship, especially your love life. So be sure to start this exciting new chapter in your life together with new bed linens, pillows, and quilts. Also, get a throw blanket for the bottom of the bed so that if one of you prefers to sleep with extra layers, you can pull the throw blanket up your side of the bed.
- A spotless home: One of the best gifts you can give your girlfriend when she moves in with your is a clean, fresh, and well-organized home. Either hire someone to clean your home from top to bottom before she moves in or clean your home yourself. If you do clean your home on your own, do it when she is not there and don’t make a big deal about how much effort it took when it’s finished. (If you’ve done a good job, your girlfriend will notice your hard work.) If you are moving in together into a new home together, try and get in early and give the place a fresh coat of paint before moving day.
- A gift card to a home decor store: Let your girlfriend know that you love her and are happy to be living together by giving her a gift card to a decor store and telling her that you don't care how she chooses to spruce up your shared space. Let her know that you want her to put her own mark on your place.
Read More From Holidappy
- A good night's sleep: Anything that will help your loved one fall asleep peacefully each night would make a great gift. If you are a snorer, you can get yourself some anti-snoring aids from the drugstore and a box of earplugs for your girlfriend.
- Magazine subscription: Getting mail—especially fun mail—delivered to your new address when you move in makes it feel like you've arrived. A subscription in your girlfriend's name is a sweet reminder that your place together is now her permanent mailing address, the place she calls home. Seeing her name above your address says, "Welcome home! Relax and unwind. This is where you live!" What a thoughtful gift to give your girlfriend when she moves in.
- Noise-cancelling headphones: There will be times in your relationship when the two of you will want to do different things during your downtime. She may be a bookworm who likes to bury her nose in a good book, while your idea of winding down involves playing video games with the volume on full blast. It's ok to have different ways to unwind, if you live in a mansion with a million rooms where you can each go off and do your own noisy, or quiet, thing. But since the first place that you and your girlfriend move in together is probably not a mansion, buying a set of noise-cancelling headphones is a good idea.
- Charm in the shape of a house: Celebrate the day your girlfriend moved in with a pretty gold pendant in the shape of a house. She can wear it as a pendant on a gold chain or put it on her charm bracelet. It will always be a pretty reminder of the day you started living together.
- Gourmet picnic basket or food hamper: If you're moving in together to a brand new place, take the stress out of packing and order a gourmet gift hamper or picnic basket to be delivered while you are unpacking. This is a much more romantic way to spend your first evening together than each takeout food around piles of unpacked kitchen supplies.
Here's a list of a few more gifts to give your girlfriend when she moves in with you:
- Vinyl decals of a romantic quote for the wall above your bed
- Coffee mug with a romantic design or quote on it
- Cozy slippers
- Gourmet chocolates
- Silver picture frame for your first photo as a couple in your new home together
- A rose bush or tree to plant in the garden
- A spa gift set and relaxing eye mask
- A heart-shaped lucky bamboo plant
© 2016 Sadie Holloway