10 Hilariously Good Christmas White Elephant Gift Ideas for 2017
After all the Christmas shopping and prep my wife and I do each year we find a bit of relief and fun in throwing our annual white elephant party for friends and neighbors. This party, which is admittedly shocking for some at times, usually makes us laugh not only throughout it, but also for weeks to come.
Having been the host for a gift exchange over the last decade my wife and I have seen some good ideas and some bad ideas. In this post, I'll share 10 gifts I've seen so far in 2017 which we both like. I'll also give you some basic ideas for holding the party as well as some unique ways in which you can make it even more fun.
White Elephant Gift Exchange Rules:
The rules to a white elephant party are pretty simple. The ways you can modify it, make all the difference in the world. Before we get into that here's a list of some of the more basic rules:
1. Everyone Brings at least one gag-related gift. Optionally you can also have everyone bring one serious gift.
2. Gifts are Exchanged.
3. Once guests arrive have them sit in a circle.
4. Choose who to start with and go around the circle until all gifts are opened.
Unique Ways to Throw or Modify a White Elephant Gift Exchange:
1. Define what type of gift guests need to bring: This could be a gift that's homemade, already used, or that costs a predetermined amount of money.
2. Have everyone dress up: My favorite way of doing this is an ugly Christmas sweater party. Another way that we've tried is to have couples dress up in costume.
3. Give out a prize: This could be given out for the best white elephant gift, the ugliest sweater, or whatever else you want. A little competition really brings down the house!
4. Stealing Gifts: After gifts have been chosen they can then be stolen. If you decide to do this, then it's usually a good idea to lock the gift after it's been taken a few times. You'll have to decide to do this during the original round of gift giving and allow the victim of your theft to open a new gift or go around the circle once to open gifts and another time to steal.
5. Wear it: If the gift can be worn or put on, then the opener has to put it on. This can be hilarious, but be sure you have the appropriate crowd!
6. Mustache Madness: This one is a little bit out there, but if you give it a chance it's really funny. Buy a pack of self-adhesive mustaches and have everyone where a different mustache. I promise it adds to the madness and fun!
10 Hilarious White Elephant Gift Ideas
1. Big Mouth Toys Toilet Mug:
No, you don't have to go there, but "potty" humor is usually a winner at a white elephant party.
If you want to go this direction, then you could also consider one of those overly used reindeer poop dispensers. I think you'll find that this mug gets a much better reaction from your guests.
Other than it's looks there's really not a whole more to say about this mug except that it's ceramic, and enticing when its filled with M&Ms or other candy as you can see to the right. Or if they want to use it, believe it or not the mug actually works quite well.
2. The Hillary Nutcracker and Bill Clinton Corkscrew Combo Set:
You can imagine the laughs you'll get from this one. This set includes the Hillary Nutcracker and the Bill Clinton Corkscrew as you can see on the right.
Believe it or not the Hillary nutcracker can actually take down some pretty tough nuts to crack and as advertised has "stainless steel thighs".
We gave this out one year and it was stolen several times before it locked. The couple that received it still tells me that they still use it and it's a great conversation starter when they're hosting parties.
Overall the set is somewhat pricey, but Hillary and Bill can be purchased separately if you have a lower budget.
3. Christmas Story Nightlight
If you're going to go Christmas-themed, then why not go with something that brings back funny memories.
This Nightlight, made in the likeness of the Christmas Story movie, is truly a "major award".
I actually have a friend who displays a full-sized replica of this light in his window each year at Christmas. It's always the talk of our street.
4. Emergency Underpants
My friends and I are always teasing each other about getting old. I always say if you're going to have to go through the pains of growing old why not make it a fun occasion?
These emergency underpants are a way of doing just that. That being said this is much more of a gag gift, then something you'd use in a real emergency.
Although if someone tried to really use them, then that would be another funny story as well.
5. Canned Unicorn Meat
So you might be asking yourself why you'd ever want to give away a can of unicorn meat. My response to that is simple; no one has time to hunt down a unicorn anymore.
The best part? It tastes just like the Unicorn your Mom used to make for you when you were a little kid.
In all seriousness this gift idea is another classic for your white elephant exchange.
*Unicorn Can Tip: It opens from the bottom just in case your guest can't get to it fast enough.
6. Family Blankeez
Before we go on with number 6 I just wanted to say that I was joking in number 5 and would never eat a real unicorn.
Now that we have that settled, here's a gift that's really funny if it comes upon a gullible party guest. Why? Well if you didn't figure it out, then maybe I should send you one as there's nothing inside!
For those of you who still can't tell yet, this is basically a box for you to pack other gifts inside of. While the cost of it sets you back a little, I promise it's priceless for the looks you'll get back from your friends.
7. Potty Putter Golf Set
Last time we held a white elephant part I gave one of these out as a prize for the ugliest sweater. My guests literally fought over it.
Some wanted to actually use it while others wanted to give it to their Dads. Whatever the case may be, this gift is a hit.
The potty putter set comes with an entire toilet golf set. This includes a golf putter, golf mat, flag, a "do not disturb sign" and 2 golf balls. It's come down in price over the last year so be sure to look around to find it under $10.
8. Bacon Themed Gag Gifts
Bacon themed paraphernalia has become popular over the last few years so number 7 is more of a general item.
I've seen adhesive bandages, gumballs, wallets, lip balm, air freshener, toothpicks, mints, clothing, and just about everything you can think of. Take your pick.
9. The Yodeling Pickle
While it doesn't have in iPhone jack the yodeling pickle is still perfect for all of the yodel-loving guests that you'll have at your party.
It's also been said that if you have this pickle playing or hear Justin Bieber singing that it's just about the same thing.
So it's a great replacement gift if you can't afford the CD.
In addition, since I've bought this yodeling pickle my dog Dexter can't stop cuddling it. Strange, huh?
10. Butt Face Towel and Soap (Bundle)
Just to let everyone know, number 9 isn't even a gag gift at all. It's time to separate your butt from your face from showering and here's an easy way to do it. Simply buy soap with "butt" on one side and "face" on the other.
Another must-have accessory is the butt face towel sold by Westminster. Now we can all kiss and show affection to our loved ones without being worried about a little mix up.
10. Redneck Soda Can Holster Belt
With Duck Dynasty increasing in popularity this year camouflage is becoming more of a fashion-trend than ever. This Redneck soda can holster is perfect for taking with you to Nascar or sporting events.
Hey, it's a lot easier than wearing cargo shorts and putting a can in each pocket. Buy two and double the fun.
White Elephant Gift Idea Reader Poll
What type of gift will you be giving out this year?
Your Comments are Appreciated
I'd love to hear about all the funny white elephant gifts you've given and received in the past. Help our readers out by leaving your favorites below so they can get some good and funny ideas as well.
© 2013 TopTenChristmas