Birthday Gift Ideas For Men: From A Man's Viewpoint
Over the years I have been bought many so-called men birthday gifts, some of them have been great and some of them downright awful.
Despite what many ladies may think, men do actually talk to each other about great memorable birthday presents, and yes we do discuss things other than football and drink. (Not many other things though...)
We have one single thing in common and that will never change. It is this: men are really boys who have never grown up. I would suggest many ladies already know this, but sometimes I wonder if they really do, or do they just decide to ignore this fact.
You have heard remarks like boys and their toys and the facts are that this is completely true. Would I like a mini remote-controlled helicopter for my birthday or a bottle of expensive aftershave? Every single time I will choose the aftershave. Like heck I will! Have no doubt if I had the money in my hand, it would be the helicopter every single time.
Would I like a pair of socks for my birthday gift or a Swiss Army knife?
Would I like one of those hideous skincare kits or a new electric screwdriver that does stuff?
Men like things that do things or are just fun to have. There are hundreds of them and we don't like anything that would have the words practical or sensible involved. Shoes, new ties, new shirts, or underwear are not gifts. They are things we need so not even close to being the same.
I will include a whole range of perfect birthday gift ideas for men and hopefully men around the world will benefit from this article. There are many birthday presents for men that we really will love so please enjoy the read.
This is a super fun game and is ideal if the guy is in anyway competitive.
This is one of the best presents that I have ever received. It is a fantastic game and suitable for a few or groups of people.
I have yet to meet a guy who doesn't love this game.
What's Hot and What's Not!
Allow me to begin with what we don't want. There is a long list but it is worthwhile doing this to remove any idea that we gain a single moment of pleasure from receiving any of these. Sure we might smile but if we say "that is nice," it is very likely your idea of a gift appears on this list.
- Shoe types that we don't normally wear or strange colours
- Cheap trainers that make our feet look huge
- Track suits... Sorry but I just hate them
- Socks (If they are in a pack that is even worse)
- Big patterned shirts or strange colours
- Ties (Some are ok)
- Plastic Belts (Leather ones are great)
- Clothes in general are a bad idea.
- Skincare products
- Shaving products like foam
- Just about any of those horrible sets that come out at Christmas qualify for this list
- Shoe shine kits: my number one hate!
- Pens with our names on them: even we know who we are (Moon pens are ok)
- Those books that say 100 things a man should know, etc.
- Stupid combinations like three golf tees and a mug in a box
- Jigsaws of Florence or any other city
- DVDs about how to communicate our feelings or any of that nonsense
- Self-help books: we hate most of them
I have no doubt I will add to this list but that is enough for now.
The Worst Birthday Gifts
One example of the worst gift I ever received was a shoe shine kit. The brushes were so small that I had to hold them with two fingers and you can probably guess how much shoe polish I got on them.
It is now confined to the bin and I think this is the best place for it to be honest.
Be Honest Please, No I Mean Really Honest - I think we have all been guilty of this
Have you ever bought your man any of the following as a birthday present
Gift Ideas For Less Than $10
I have put together a short list here of some great gift ideas for less than $10. The monkey one is fantastic fun and men love it. There will always be times when we want a gift for a man but also don't want to spend a fortune. Any of these will tick the boxes I promise you. Men are not as hard to please as many people think.
If it makes us laugh or if we can eat or drink it, then you are on to a winner.
Fun Gift Idea - The Flying Monkey
Great Cheap Fun Birthday Gift
We have had a ball with this thing in the office. I know it's sad actually but honestly you have no idea just how many times this monkey was fired around the office, and the amount of laughter that was enjoyed.
Now I know this sounds silly, but please do not forget that we guys really do not grow up. Therefore something as stupid as this can create a lot of fun in the mind of a man.
Gift Ideas for Men Who Have Everything
Now for the interesting part of this article. I can make you this promise that if you buy any of these suggested gifts for a man's birthday he will utter words like fantastic, great idea, how did you think of that, I can't wait to use this, and many more superlatives.
All of these should be recognized as being excellent in the eyes of any male. We like birthday gifts that we can use, play with, and most important have fun with. I will give you a very long list so please remember that any of these will be very well received.
- Concert tickets for artists we like.
- Tickets to a good play. Try to find out about plays we would actually like to go and see.
- Tickets for a BIG sporting event
- DVDs of our favorite films - things like Die Hard, Silence of the Lambs, The Godfather, The Matrix, Full Metal Jacket, and Saving Private Ryan are best.
- Music. It has to be our favorite artists and hopefully in either MP3 mode or a CD we can play in the car.
- For smokers: we like lighters a lot, especially really good ones like Zippo with our favorite team on them.
- Gadgets. You can pick almost any useful gadget under the sun and we will love it
- Tools are good as long as we have mentioned we need particular ones. Please don't buy those ones that you find in pound shops as they break whenever you use them and they are useless.
- Wine. Tou can never go wrong with wine or any alcohol for that matter. Red is best!
- Glasses but they have to have a logo: I mean beer glasses and not spectacles.
- Toys. Yes I said toys, I mean like toys for grown ups (mini helicopter, train sets etc).
- Car stuff. We love our cars and we like most things that are associated with cars. not silly stuff though: we won't use those.
- Adventure things, like a day rallying, hot air balloon, paint balling, or off road driving
- Binoculars. We love them. I don't know why but we do.
- Digital Cameras. The more stuff that we can fiddle with on them the better.
- Key rings with a torch on them. Silly but true.
- Just about anything to do with a computer
- Anything to do with our favorite football or hockey team, especially tickets to a match.
- Kindle for reading: we love those a lot
- Put money on our Amazon account especially for Kindle.
- A bottle of Jack Daniels: don't know why we like it but we do!
- Subscription to a magazine that we like: that means we will think of the person at least 12 times a year
Once again I will continue to add to this list but that should be enough to get you thinking.
Probably The Best Car Accessory In The World
Every now and then along comes something special and also a bit different. I think this is one of these products. I would also wager that not many men will actually have this so it will make a great birthday gift.
This is especially true if the man you are buying it for uses his car a lot or is out and about on the road. and believe it or not it costs less than $20. That makes it a great value buy in my opinion.
This is just a great thing for a guy to have in his vehicle. It can be used for writing on, for lunch and a load of different things. I got one and as soon as I did, many of my friends and colleagues got one too.
This is just something that I think makes a great gift idea and something that most guys can make use of, and will probably not own
Sometimes A Gift That Makes Us Smile Is All We Need
Sometimes a funny birthday gift idea for men is all that you need. This is especially true if the guy you know is like a friend of a friend. This is also true if the man already has everything, or you are just not sure exactly what he already has.
It is also a great idea if you are going to a birthday party as it will introduce a bit of fun and humor to the party.
30th Birthday Gift Ideas
If there was one birthday that I hated it was certainly this one. Leaving the twenties was painful and entering the thirties was also horrible. They say today that being 30 is the new 20 and that may well be the case but for me it was just awful. There was something about that age transition that depressed me. Thankfully it didn't last for long but it was a significant change in attitude and the way I started to think.
I must have blanked most of it out because I don't remember what I received as a gift nor can I remember the actual celebration. One thing I did know was that I did not have or want a party nor did I want anything that reminded me I had turned thirty.
There are plenty of other gifts like this of a similar nature. As long as it involves drink, then you can be pretty sure it will be well received. This can be anything from a coffee mug, to a wine glass or a beer tankard like this one.
40th Birthday Gift Ideas
So the old man has reached the splendid age of 40 and life in theory has now begun. Most men by this stage have been married a few years and you are probably running out of ideas on what to buy him. I remember my own 40th birthday very well and it was a great one. We went away for a fantastic weekend in Galway and had an absolute ball. So a weekend trip away is a great idea and just to be able to chill out, eat great food, and have a drink and celebrate worked for me.
My daughters bought me a new watch for this birthday and it was a cracker. My good lady took me away and also bought me a new set of golf clubs and life could not have really been much better.
50th Birthday Gift Ideas
This was a great birthday. To reach the milestone of being half a century old is something pretty amazing and should be celebrated in style. I had two fantastic parties, one with my family and one with my work colleagues. We also went away to Geneva for four days and that was a wonderful experience as we flew through the Swiss Alps to reach our destination and also visited Switzerland.
This is a great age for men and honestly we will love almost any gift especially if we happen to be grandfathers at the time. I have added a short list below of ideal gifts for a 50 year old man who still thinks he is 21.
Fun at fifty. This was a birthday that I really enjoyed and it is a turning point for many guys. They have survived half a century and should have by now done all the main things in their life.
50 is a great age to then plan out the other things in life that they have always wanted to do, but have just never had the chance. For most guys this will be travel of some kind. This books helps with some great ideas that can be added to a bucket list of things that you should do in life.
If he drinks red wine he needs one of these. Sipping a glass of red wine in the evening is certainly one of life's joys. There are few things in life I enjoy more than cracking open a nice bottle of red.
For those men who appreciate the taste of red wine, and how it should be served, then they will fully appreciate this great gift idea. Wine needs to be allowed to breathe and owning one of these is the best way of serving the perfect glass of red wine.
This is a nice fun mug for anyone coming near retirement age. Although men age, the reality is that inside the head, we really do not, though we probably should.
60th Birthday Gift Ideas
We are now approaching the time when we are just about to retire or are most certainly thinking about it. Like any of the big birthdays the 60th birthday really should be a special one.
At this time and especially with retirement firmly in mind and on the horizon, the best types of gifts to buy will be based around that person's likes and hobbies. Now of course no two men will be exactly the same and I have many friends who have just reached this birthday and they all like slightly different things.
There is however a general theme to what they like which may help guide you along the way to getting a great birthday present for someone who has reached 60 years of age. These themes include books and reading, tools so as they can develop their hobbies, and gardening is also very popular.