Gift Ideas for 10-Year Old Boys
Buying Gifts for Preteen Boys
Welcome to the pre-teen years! As the mom of 4 kids, ranging in age from 7-13, I can say that gift ideas for 10-year old boys can be especially challenging. I know that its tough to come up with gift ideas for this age range. That's why I put together this article to help parents, guardians and relatives.
Generally speaking, kids this age are truly in between childhood and young adulthood. While they may still have juvenile interests, many are transitioning toward more grown-up desires - mostly with respect to technology and entertainment.
Before you head to the shopping mall, or browse the Internet, know your gift recipient. Some 10-year old boys still have strong interests in specific characters (e.g. Harry Potter or Percy Jackson) or specific sports teams or leagues. Kids that have older siblings may have slightly more mature tastes than those that are the oldest in the family. Another key suggestion is to be sure to try to talk to your 13-year old first. Trust me, they are not always forthcoming when it comes to gift ideas, but you might be surprised what you will learn just by putting forth a few simple questions.
I've grouped a range of gift ideas for 10-year old boys into several categories below: (1) sports; (2) technology; (3) practical gifts; (4) gaming ideas and (5) entertainment. You should be able to find an appropriate gift for a preteen boy here... or at least get a good start on ideas!
What Interests Your 10-Year Old Boy?
Sports Gift Ideas for 10-Year Old Boys
My sons love sports! When its football season, they love football. And, when its baseball season, they love baseball.
My 10-year old son is a loyal fan - no matter if his team is winning or losing, he cheers them on. On the other hand, my 13-year old follows the top teams.
If you are shopping for a preteen boy that is a sports enthusiast, consider these sports gift ideas:
- Team football jerseys
- Sports equipment (balls, bats, mitts, helmets, hoops, goals, etc.)
- Sports memorabilia (trading cards, signed balls and/or posters)
- Brand-name T-shirts - my son likes Nike and Adidas
- Team pennants
- Fathead room decals (giant, life-sized stickers of your favorite athlete)
- Team emblazoned room décor items - wastepaper baskets, sheets, pillows, bedspreads and much more
- Tuition for youth sports camps or programs - Pee Wee Football, Little League baseball, etc.
Gaming Gift Ideas for 10-Year Old Boys
There are many gaming systems offered for kids of all ages, and even more games available with new ones coming out each year!
At our home, the kids have Nintendo DS consoles (handheld game system), as well as an Xbox 360. Many of their friends own Wii systems and/or Sony PS3. There are also games you can play on your computer and applications to download to phones.
Experts say that new game consoles will not be offered until 2013. So, your best bet right now is to consider adding to individual game collections.
Before you purchase a new video game for a 10-year old boy, check the ratings. Games rated "M" for mature often include violence and/or sexual themes. Even games with a "T" rating for teen may not be appropriate for a 10-year old boy. If in doubt, ask a salesperson or read online reviews.
Popular gaming gift ideas for 10-year old boys include:
- New versions of NCAA, NFL, NBA and MLB sports games
- Lego games (Harry Potter Lego, Lego Batman, Indiana Jones Lego, Lego Star Wars, etc.)
- Mario games
- Backyard sports games (Backyard baseball, Backyard football, etc.)
- Movie-themed games (Harry Potter, Batman, Disney movies and more)
- Rock band games
- Dance dance revolution
Entertainment Gift Ideas for 10-Year Old Boys
Beyond video games and sports, 10-year old boys enjoy movies and some even like to read (yes, shocking, isn't it?) Each year for Christmas, I get my boys at least one new book and usually a DVD movie, as well.
Not sure what's hot this year? Consider this list:
- Harry Potter movies
- Harry Potter books - still popular after many years
- Percy Jackson book series by Rick Riordan
- The Seekers book series by Erin Hunter
- Dragon Slayers Academy series by Kate McMullan
- Chronicles of Narnia series
- D.J. MacHale's Pendragon series
- Children cookbooks (yes, even boys like to cook!)
Tech Gift Ideas for 10-Year Old Boys
Most preteen boys are into tech gifts. At the top of the list for my 10-year old son this year is a cell phone! He really just wants to be able to text his friends, but I'm sure a new iPhone would be a huge hit (dream on, Joe...)
Depending on your budget, there are many gadgets you could consider when shopping for gifts for 10-year old boys.
Keep in mind that not all boys will take good care of these items that can easily become lost or broken:
- iPod Nano
- iPod Touch
- Other mP3 players and accessories
- Laptop computer - many inexpensive notebook versions available
- Cell phone - you don't have to go with the new iPhone4! There are basic models that still allow for easy texting available for less than $50 with generous rebates (hint: go for an unlimited texting plan to avoid a shockingly high cell phone bill)
Traditional Gift Ideas for 10-Year Old Boys
Although you might think that 10-year old boys are only interested in sports and video games, there are some traditional gifts that are always a hit with this age group.
From my experience, preteen boys often appreciate the following traditional gifts, as well:
- Monopoly games - many varieties of the classic board game
- Clue board game
- Playing cards
- Themed Lego sets (some very complex and expensive sets out there too)
- Scrabble game
- Spy ware
- Nerf guns/accessories or Nerf balls
- Roller blades
- Other sports equipment - snowboarding, wakeboarding, sledding, etc.
Don't forget other items that may be required for some of these gifts. Helmets, gloves, boots, bindings, even batteries!
Gift Cards are Always an Option!
Sometimes you just cannot figure out what gift to get for a 10-year old boy. Fortunately, at this age, many kids are eager to go shopping to pick out their own presents. When you give a gift card, they can sometimes get a great deal with post-holiday discounts, or even combine gift cards to get a more expensive gift on their list.
Many retailers offer gift cards in a range of dollar amounts (generally $25-$100). My son likes gift cards from Target, Old Navy, Wal-Mart, Game Stop, and a variety of sports stores. Since he owns an iPod, my 10-year old is always excited to get iTunes cards that allow him to choose new music for his device.
Be sure to check the fine print regarding potential expiration of gift cards. You'll also want to make sure that the gift card doesn't accidentally get tossed in the trash along with wrapping paper and envelopes!
Where are you going to shop for gifts this year?
Questions & Answers
© 2010 Stephanie Hicks