Gift Ideas for 9-Year-Old Girls
Introduction: Shopping for a 9-Year-Old Girl
Let's face it: Shopping for a girl is rarely easy. My daughter is almost 9 and she's quite opinionated. So, while preparing for her upcoming birthday, I thought it would be also helpful to create a guide with gift ideas for 9-year-old girls for you all.
Girls at this age are not quite pre-teens. But, their interests are maturing. One day, they might think it's still fun to play with Barbies and American Girl dolls. Then, next thing you know, they're listening to Justin Bieber and experimenting with make-up.
The age of nine is pretty much a bridge over the gap between the childhood and pre-teen years. Personally, I don't want my daughter to grow up too fast. But, at the same time, I still want her to enjoy some of the things her peers are interested in -- with reason, of course.
Additionally, many girls are now interested in gender-specific items, meaning that many gift ideas that would be equally acceptable for boys or girls might not be as appreciated as in the past. Oh yes, it's starting.
Below, I've compiled a list of gift ideas for 9-year-old girls. If you have suggestions on ideas I might have missed, please share in the comment section below! For now, in this Hub, you'll find information on:
- Traditional gifts
- Entertainment gifts
- Electronic gifts
- Sport-related gifts
- Girly-girl gifts
Traditional Gift Ideas for 9-Year-Old Girls
Traditional gifts for 9-year-old girls include board games, dolls, stuffed animals, and other collectibles. Before you go gift shopping, find out whether the recipient is a "doll" girl, an "animal" girl, or otherwise.
For example, my daughter has never been into dolls. Instead, she's always played with stuffed animals. In fact, look inside the heirloom doll crib and cradle in her room and they are filled with animals rather than dolls. She loves animals -- from stuffed animals to stories or movies about animals and visits to the zoo or aquarium.
Doll Gift Ideas:
- Classic dolls. For doll lovers, Barbie is still a classic, along with all of her friends and accessories. Fortunately, Barbies are inexpensive and can be found anywhere. More expensive dolls include American Girl Dolls, clothing, accessories, books, and more.
- Antique dolls. Perhaps there's an heirloom china doll in the family that could be gifted? Girls at this age are probably old enough to care for and can appreciate antique treasures. 9-year-old girls may not be playing with dolls as much, but instead collecting them and showing them off.
- Doll houses. When I was a young girl, I was always fascinated by doll houses. I loved the miniature beds, tables and chairs, and many other furnishings and accessories. With their increased dexterity and the danger of small parts having passed (do check to see if there are younger siblings), a 9-year-old girl is the right age for such gifts.
Collectible Gift Ideas:
As with dolls, some girls enjoy collecting other items, organizing, and displaying them. My daughter has a shelf about 12 inches below her ceiling along which her entire collection of stuffed animals is on display.
Some collectible gift ideas include:
- Beanie Babies or other specific brands of stuffed animals
- Miniature tea sets
- Small glass animals or ballerinas
- Painted ceramic boxes.
We love to play games at our home! Board games and the like are a great way to connect with family members. Consider these:
- Connect Four
- Scrabble or Scrabble Jr.
- Monopoly or Monopoly Jr.
- Sequence or Sequent for Kids
- Checkers or Chess
- Story Cubes
- Apples to Apples
Entertainment Gift Ideas for 9-Year-Old Girls
When considering entertainment gift ideas for 9-year-old girls, we're talking books and movies. 9-year-old girls are usually in the third or fourth grade, and most read independently at this age. That said, there's a wide range in reading abilities and interests. Fortunately, book stores usually arrange by grade level (3-5 grade or 4-6 grade, for example). For girls who are more accomplished readers, make selections at the upper end.
Book Ideas for 9-Year Old Girls
Consider these book selections for 9-year-old girls, among others:
- Goddess Girls series
- Shadow Horse
- Junie B. Jones series
- American Girls Mysteries
- Fashion Kitty
- Harry Potter series
- Geronimo Stilton series
Movies and DVDs for 9-Year Old Girls
As with boys this age, 9-year-old girls are often interested in DVDs that are not animated. Consider the messages that may be present in some of the movies that are rated PG or PG-13. Films that include mature language, sexual themes, drug or alcohol use, or violence may not be appropriate for 9-year-old girls.
Electronic Gift Ideas for 9-Year-Old Girls
Like boys this age, 9-year-old girls generally love gadgets -- from MP3 players to gaming devices, and even cell phones.
For nearly two years, my daughter has been begging for an iPod Touch. This is basically a mini iPad, or a smart phone that is not a phone. You can listen to music, watch movies, play games, and email. Still, we should wait one or two more year(s) before considering this expensive gift.
Hand-held gaming devices like Nintendo DSIs and gaming systems like the Wii are also favorites of girls this age. If they do not have the console or system, that might be worth considering for a gift, although they are expensive. Alternatively, a game is a much more affordable present for a 9-year old girl (ranging in price from $10-40, depending on whether it's new or used). Be sure to check the game ratings to ensure that mature themes or excessive violence aren't featured. We buy games that are rated E for everyone. Those that are rated T (teen) or M (mature) will have to wait.
Gaming Ideas for 9-Year Old Girls
Consider these games/themes:
- Just Dance
- Mario Brothers
- Let's Draw
For a 9-year-old girl who enjoys music and already has an MP3 player, you can easily gift new tunes. iTunes gift cards are available in many denominations, and they're easy to redeem.
Gadget Gifts for Girls
Sports Gift Ideas for 9-Year-Old Girls
Girls love sports! If your gift recipient is on a team, or participates in individual sporting events, you can find many ideas for presents. Here's a short list of sports, with associated gift ideas:
- Skiing/snowboarding: hats, gloves, socks, skis, snowboards, jackets, boots
- Bicycling: helmets, bicycle locks, bicycle shoes, bicycles
- Volleyball: shorts, shoes, volleyballs
- Soccer: cleats, shin guards, soccer balls, practice goals
- Swimming: swimsuit, goggles, swim cap
- Gymnastics: leotards, gym shorts, wrist bands
- Basketball: shorts, basketballs, basketball hoop
Don't forget non-team sports, including sledding. Any type of sport that interests your 9-year-old girl should be considered for gift-giving.
9-Year-Old Girl Gifts
Girly-Girl Gift Ideas for 9-Year-Old Girls
If you are brave enough to indulge the girly side of a 9-year-old girl, there are several gift ideas to consider. However, before you purchase, be sure to check with parents or guardians to make sure that your gift is acceptable from a parental aspect.
There are a number of gift ideas for 9-year-old girls that can help them explore their feminine side:
- Costume jewelry. My daughter has a charm bracelet from The Gap and loves to collect additional charms. Each charm is only $5, which makes them a super incentive on a monthly basis to behave well. If the 9-year-old girl has her ears pierced, a pair of non-allergenic earrings is also a great gift idea.
- Dress-up clothes. Girls this age love trying out new looks. Whether you get a tutu, a unique hat or cap, or a feather boa, she will probably be thrilled.
- Purses/handbags/wallets. Find an inexpensive version that your 9-year-old girl can use to try out. She may not have much to put in it, other than a hairbrush or her diary, but that's not the point.
- Lip gloss. From my standpoint, the only make-up a girl this age should wear is lip gloss. You might consider a small mirrored compact (with permission from parents or guardians) for special events.
- Shoes. Yes, it starts young! Girls love shoes, and a fun, less practical pair might be the perfect gift.
- Hair accessories. Clips, headbands, ribbons, and bows. There are many hair accessories to choose from, many of which are inexpensive and fun.
- Perfumed lotions or bubble bath. While actual perfume may still be a few years away, girls this age love scented or perfumed lotions or bath gels.
What Gift Ideas for 9-Year Old Girls Sound Best to You?
Questions & Answers
© 2011 Stephanie Hicks