Crazy Funny Ways to Send Mail to Your Friends
Whether you have a soft spot for the failing postal system or you just want to make an impression, sending something through the good ol' fashioned mail is a way to show a friend or loved one you care. Did you know that the postal service will deliver things other than letters or packages? Check out some of these wacky and zany ideas for an unofficial celebration!
Send a Wooden Postcard
- For a friend's fifth wedding anniversary, why not send a wooden postcard?
- Send a wooden message for someone who has just bought a new house.
- Wood mail can be sent for a variety of occasions to say, "you mean more to me than paper!"
If you have any artistic ability, you can carve a small picture or design right on the front. Save your money and cut your own wood card out of old unused furniture. Just make sure it can't give your friend (or the postman) splinters.
Get Your Creative Juices Flowing...
Send a Ball
Whether you want to celebrate a big game on TV, a big win, or just challenge a friend to a competition, you can send a ball right through the mail with no packaging. Just stick on an address label and a cute message and let the postman toss your friend a ball.
- Soccer ball
- Rubber ball
- Giant bouncy ball
If you are still nervous about sending a store bought ball through the mail, you can send one through this service called Send a Ball. They even have a ball that says, "Sorry I dropped the ball" as a cute way to send an apology. Who wouldn't forgive you after that attempt?
The World's Smallest Mail
This will either delight or annoy your friends. Send fairy mail. Teeny tiny little letters in honor of...
- A new baby
- A little girl's birthday
- A little hello
- Congratulations from the tooth fairy
A company called Leafcutter Designs will help you, so you don't have to inscribe the world's smallest message on a piece of scrap paper. If you want to attempt it yourself, go for it!
Things you can purchase from Leafcutter's...
- Do it yourself miniature mail postal kit
- Miniature packages
- Matchbox theater
- Puzzle cards
- Recipe dice
Candy is a part of every American holiday, so pick out a colorful box of candy, stick an address label on and that is that! Kids will love getting a box of Junior Mints, Skittles, M&M's, or Mike N Ike's. Make sure you grab the candy that is in a box, not a bag, to minimize the possibility of ripping.
- For Easter, send a giant plastic egg filled with candy and affix the postage and label all along the cracks of the egg to prevent spilling.
- Send candies filled in a plastic bottle.
Random Mail Items
- Why not send your friend a sombrero? Make sure the one you choose is sturdy, and tape your mailing address right on it. No box necessary!
- How about a lime? Just stick an address on it with a promise for a night of margaritas. No wrapping or packaging necessary.
- Send an orange that says, "ORRANNGE you glad __________" You fill in the blank!
- Send a canister of play dough with a note about the stress relieving properties of playing!
Why not send a gift in honor of summer. Try sending a..
- Flip flop
- Beach ball
- Bottle of bubbles
- Hula hoop
Sarah, an artist and mom- blogs about her adventures with mail art. Some of her ideas are found in this book at Amazon called Good Mail Day, A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art. The ideas are endless.
Check out the wooden spoon she received as a message!
There is even an International Union of Mail Artists. It is a community of artists who send art back and forth to each other, and some of the artwork is incredible.
Make an Origami Giftbox
Ideas for Boxes
If you decide you still need a box, use these recycled items to send a package.
- Empty cereal box
- Shoe box
- Craft storage tray with a lid
- Old fashioned lunchbox
- Tea tins
- Pencil boxes
Unique Care Package Ideas
For a traditional care packages, you can add a special touch with these unusual ideas.
- A box filled with little balloons containing one dollar bills.
- Care package theme such as Get Well Soon, Have a Sunshine Day, I Love You, Decadent Delights, Morning Pick Me Up.
Pick items that center around a theme. For a package that helps your college student wake up in the morning, send an old cereal box filled with specialty teas, gift card to Starbucks, some Powerbars, small bottle of shampoo, washcloth, etc.
No matter how you decide to send a piece of mail, your friends and family will feel treasured and loved because of the time spent to use snail mail verses a text or email. And one last thing- it would help to bribe your postman with random cookies and treats- just in case he isn't in a whimsical mood.