18th Birthday Wishes, Texts, and Quotes: 152 Examples
In many countries, when you turn 18 you are legally considered an adult and are regarded as a grown-up. You can vote, get a loan or a credit card, drink alcohol (in some countries), and join the military.
18 is when adolescence ends. You are no longer a child, but a mature man or woman, free of the guardianship of your parents and other adults. However, along with being legally recognized as an adult, it’s also time to mature and start being more responsible.
As it is such an important birthday, 18th birthday wishes must be special. Here is a collection of wishes to inspire you. Feel free to select one to write on a card or send in a text message. If you like, you can modify any of the given quotes to make your message more personal. Here are also some pictures that you can send via text or social media.
How to Say It
1. Now that you’re 18, you’re responsible for covering for your own mistakes. Unfortunately, those don’t stop at any age.
2. You’re an adult now, but don’t let it go to your head. Seriously, the younger you think the younger you’ll stay.
3. Don’t worry, you still don’t have to take yourself seriously. We certainly won’t. Happy 18th!
4. Now that you’re 18, you’re both an adult and a teenager! Lucky you :) Happy Birthday!
5. You’re not a kid anymore. Happy Birthday and welcome to manhood!
6. On your 18th birthday, my number one piece of advice is for you to take a deep breath, do some reflecting, and make a cool start.
7. Turning 18 is a great life experience. Don’t miss the excitement!
8. Today my heart and soul will only sing one song for you, “Happy Birthday!”
9. Congratulations on this special day. The coming years of your life are sure to be exciting!
10. Enjoy the moment, the day, and your teenage years for as long as possible. Wishing you a memorable 18th birthday!
11. May your future be forever bright. To us, you will always be a source of light. Happy 18th Birthday!
12. Welcome to adulthood! It’s all downhill from here :) Happy 18th!
13. Throw an awesome party and have some fun! Happy 18th Birthday.
14. You might think you’re old because you’ve turned 18, and that’s only because you still don’t know anything.
15. Life is a journey, and you’ve only just begun. Happy 18th!
16. You’ve already brought us so much joy. I can’t wait to see what you do with your next 18 years.
17. Life is what you make of it! Happy 18th!
18. No matter what the future brings, I’ll always be there for you. You’re never too old to need a helping hand (sometimes two). Happy 18th birthday.
19. My advice to you on your 18th birthday is: don’t be afraid to make mistakes, to fall in love, or to ask for help. Also, save money (less fun but also very important.) Happy Birthday!
20. You are a star and I know you’re going to do wonderful things. Happy Birthday.
21. I am so happy to have you in my life. The best is yet to come. Happy Birthday.
22. Put away your worries for the day. Adulthood can start tomorrow but today we need to celebrate!
23. You did it! You held on for another trip around the sun. I hope we have many more together.
24. Now that you’re 18, I’m going to start coming to you for advice. And money. Happy Birthday!
25. You’re never too old to play games or dream big. I pray you keep a smile on your face and a youthful spirit.
Funny and Sincere
1. Even though you’ve turned 18 and are technically an adult, don’t be fooled. You are still a kid and will be for next 18 years!
2. The little girl I knew so well is now a woman! Happy 18th birthday, dear!
3. You’re no longer a kid and it’s time to start watching where you step. Welcome to the ever fun grown-up world!
4. Your sweet childhood is no more. It’s time to lament the end of your innocence. Still, Happy 18th!
5. Finally, after waiting 18 years, you’ve earned the right to buy more stuff! Welcome to adulthood!
6. Welcome to adulthood! I wish you a great 18th birthday and hope hope each and every dream comes true.
7. Personally, I couldn’t care less if you were 18 or 80. It all means the same thing to me: Time to party!
8. We all know for a fact that you are still just an 8-year-old with ten years of experience. I hope you have a great birthday!
9. Um. I think you’re awesome. Happy Birthday!
10. You’re never old enough to keep secrets from me, even if now, they now might have more consequences than before. Don’t forget that! Happy Birthday, dearest.
11. Just like your nose and ears, my love for you will only grow with the years. Happy Birthday!
12. Keep this up and soon you’re going to be 100 years old. Happy Birthday!
13. My only goal today is to make sure you have nothing to worry about. Save your worrying for tomorrow.
14. I’m lucky because today I get to celebrate the life of someone I love very much. As you go out into the adult world, I know that the values you’ve been raised with won’t leave you and that you will bring joy to many. Happy Birthday!
15. You are a blessing in my life. Happy Birthday!
16. You can grow older but please please please please please please please never get old. Happy Birthday!
17. So you’ll do my taxes for me this year, right? Happy Birthday!
18. Some of us really thought you might not make it to today because of your reckless childhood. Now that you’re an adult, I’m terrified of what you might do. Just kidding! Happy Birthday
19. I hope you’ll keep an open heart and open spirit as you gain life experience. Happy Birthday, dear one.
20. Thank you for all the joy you’ve brought us through the years. You have a special heart. Happy Birthday.
21. Happy, happy birthday for a dear, dear friend!
22. Since it’s your 18th birthday, I’m wishing you 18 times for your continued success!
23. Today, let’s not say 18 years old and instead say 18 years young.
24. Your age only matters to the police and insurance companies. To people who love you, you will always be ageless.
25. These are special years now, where you are neither very, very young nor very, very old. But for you I hope that they are very, very happy.
1. Now that you’re an adult, you have the power to control your life. Remember that with great power comes great responsibility. Your choices are now your own and you can’t blame anyone for the consequences. I know you will be be a responsible citizen and a great man. Happy 18th birthday!
2. The day you understood that everyone is imperfect, you became a teenager. The day you forgive them is when you will be an adult. Happy 18th birthday!
3. On your 18th birthday, we wish you a fantastic party and an even better year!
4. Now that you’re 18, you need to be careful—your parents can legally throw you out! Happy 18th!
5. Now that you’re 18, you need to be careful about the mischief you cause or else . . . we can sue you! Happy Birthday!
6. Great! Now I can arrest you legally ;) Happy Birthday!
7. We’ve known you were wonderful for each of the past 18 years. Hope you have a great party tonight!
8. Welcome to manhood. It’s time to leave childish things behind (even video games). Happy 18th!
9. Now that the most carefree days of your life are behind you, get ready for the burden of adult life. Happy Birthday!
10. Welcome to the adulthood club, where we only have one rule: No rules! Happy 18th birthday, dear!
11. On your first day of adulthood, I hope you enjoy the day and night as much as possible. And make sure you leave the tab for someone else.
12. Welcome to the club of adulthood. However, we’d prefer it if you didn’t let the police know because otherwise we’ll soon meet you behind bars. Happy Birthday!
13. You’ll soon find out that being an adult is much less exciting than being a child. But shhhh don’t tell anyone. That’s our secret. Happy 18th!
14. I hope you wake up tomorrow and realize how lucky you are to have had me as a friend for so many years. But that’s tomorrow. Today is about you. Happy Birthday!
15. Now is the time to decide what kind of person you are going to be, which is much more important than deciding your career. Choose wisely!
16. Another year older, and you just keep getting more amazing! I can’t wait to see what this year brings for you.
17. You’ve grown up and now it’s time for you to leave the nest. I hope you’ve been practicing how to fly! Happy Birthday, dear one.
18. As you become an adult, you will be more free in some ways and less free in others. You’ll definitely need to wear pants outside of the house. Happy Birthday!
19. Now you’re an adult. Please grow up, but never grow old. Please.
20. The choices you make today determine where you’re going to be tomorrow. Make good ones!
21. The world changed when you came into it. As you grow up, I hope you continue to make it a better and happier place.
22. The more you give, the more you get. Remember that I’ve given you a lot over the years. Happy Birthday!
23. You are sweet, beautiful, and kind. On your birthday, I hope you stay well.
24. I like so many things about you, they won’t all fit in this card. Just know that I wish you a very happy birthday!
25. You caused so much mischief as a child, I’m scared to see what you’re going to do as an adult.
26. Happy Birthday to one of the coolest people I know!
27. Happy Birthday! Best wishes for your 18th!
28. Happy 18th birthday to one of my dearest friends! Today is surely a day to celebrate!
29. I want you to know how much I appreciate you as my friend and that I respect your honesty and simplicity. I wish you a very happy birthday!
May everything lovely
And everything bright
Be yours on your birthday
From morning till night!
On your 18th birthday, may yours be
All things bright, sweet, and free
It’s time to party and time to celebrate
Hope you got to bed early, ‘cause we’re staying up late!
For a Daughter
1. May trouble never come to my daughter who has been a precious jewel to us for 18 years. Enjoy your 18th!
2. Today, my dear, I'll tell you how much I care for you and love you. My little girl is now 18 and no longer a little kid!
3. Our affection for you grows day by day. Enjoy your 18th birthday, sweetheart!
4. You were adorable as a child, and you are beautiful as a woman. But the best part is who you are on the inside. Happy Birthday, dearest.
5. Even though you may have less chances to play dress up, I hope you’ll never stop playing. Happy Birthday, sweet daughter.
6. Every day I thank God for you. Now that my little girl is turning 18, it’s hard to know where the years went, but I know that the best is yet to come.
7. Though part of me is sad to see you grow up, I’m also excited to see the woman that you’ve become. We are proud of you.
8. Happy Birthday, dearest daughter. Surprising though it might seem, you are and always have been a gift from heaven.
9. We’ve watched you grow up and taught you how to live the best that we could. In spite of us, you’ve turned out to be remarkable.
10. We always told you to be careful and you never listened. I’m looking forward to many more years of ignored advice.
11. You are still in the (late) morning of your life. Enjoy it while you can, dear daughter.
12. Only today, and only for you, I won’t tell any embarrassing stories about your childhood. Tomorrow, though, all bets are off. Happy Birthday, dear one.
13. Though you used to be small, you always had a big heart. Thank you for sharing it. Love you!
14. I love you every day, but on your birthday I get to talk more about it. Happy Birthday, daughter!
15. We loved and knew you first, but have been blessed to see many others love and know you these past 18 years. You have touched and will continue to touch many. Love you!
For a Son
1. Dear son, I don’t have to tell you how much I love you, but for your birthday, I will. I love you more than you could ever know, until you have your own son. Happy 18th!
2. We are so proud of you. You’ve already done so much with your first 18 years. I can’t wait to see what you do with the next.
3. We wish the happiest of birthdays to a loving son.
4. As you get older and stronger, remember who loved you first! (It was us.) Happy Birthday, dear son.
5. Son, please start saving up so you can take care of us in our old age. Also, Happy Birthday!
6. You are everything we could have asked for in a son and more. Happy Birthday!
7. You are growing up to be such a wonderful man. We are lucky to be your parents. Happy Birthday!
8. Be on your guard now, because we can legally kick you out of the house :) Also, we love you and Happy Birthday!
9. For a son who (almost) never disappoints, we wish you the happiest of birthdays!
10. Today we get the tab but starting tomorrow we take turns! This is adulthood. Happy Birthday, son.
11. You used to be adorable. Now you’re handsome. You used to be precocious. Now you’re educated. You used to be small. Now you’re tall. But no matter what else changes, you’ll always be our son. Happy Birthday!
12. We’ve loved you since day one! Happy Birthday, dear son.
13. Eighteen years ago, today seemed so far away. I don’t know where the time has gone, but I don’t know that I couldn’t be happier about who you’ve become. Happy Birthday, son.
14. I know you’re our son, but I feel like I’ve learned so much from you over the past 18 years. I can’t wait to see what the next 18 bring.
15. You are a wonderful son. Thank you for bringing so much joy to our lives over the past 18 years.
For a Debutant
1. Sometimes we never thought she'd make it, but there she went and grew up. Happy birthday to someone I love very much as she enters the adult world.
2. They say 18 years go by in the blink of an eye, and now I can say for myself it's true. Happy birthday to a very special person.
3. As you enter the world, I know you're going to bring much joy and happiness just like you always have.
4. Growing up might seem scary until you realize that none of us really know what we're doing. Happy birthday and here's to growing up but never growing old!
5. Now that you're 18, you'll have to be more careful about what you put online. Happy birthday, no longer little one!
6. You're only 18 and the best is still to come. Including an incredible party tonight. Watch out for what you post online tomorrow though!
7. On your 18th birthday, remember that you are never old enough to know what's impossible. Keep dreaming!
8. I look forward to having as much fun with you as an adult as we did when we were kids! Happy birthday!
9. I hope you committed any really heinous crimes last night because you can now be prosecuted as an adult. Not that I hope you're committing crimes. I'm just looking out for you.
10. Here's to another 18 years of pure fun and joy! Happy birthday to someone I love very much.
11. Life only gets faster as you get older. I hope you take some time to slow down and enjoy the moment. Happy birthday!
12. Hope you enjoy birthdays while they're still fun!
13. There are 18 things you need to know to prepare yourself for the next 18 years, but you learn them as you go. So . . . pay attention!
14. Don't stop dreaming or laughing or dancing, and you will never get old. Happy birthday!
15. I think I love you 18x more every year. This year feels a little different though, and I think you know why. Happy birthday!
1. :) < a smiley face for you on your 18th! Hope it's a special day!!
2. I hope your day is filled with lots of hugs from people you love (including me!)
3. You're never too old to be silly. Keep laughing!
4. Happy Birthday! Remember that age is just a number and the only people who care about it are people who don't really care about you.
5. This is just a text to tell you happy birthday and I love you and I can't wait to see you soon!
6. Did you know that sea otters hold hands while they sleep to keep from drifting apart? You're never too old to stop learning. Happy birthday!
7. Happy birthday, adult-ling! Time to start your life for real :)
8. Gooooooooooooooooood morning and happppppppppppppppppy birthday. 18 o's and 18 p's on your 18th birthday!
9. Stay in bed today! Don't get up! Stay young forevvverrrrrrr!!!
10. Hey you! Happy birthday :) Hope you have an incredible day and that we can talk soon
11. 18 years ago, you couldn't do anything by yourself. Now you can do almost everything by yourself. The next step is learning how to re-depend on other people. Happy birthday!
12. I don't know what you were expecting, but yeah, this is adulthood. Welcome to the club.
13. Happy birthday! Today, everything's the same and nothing is the same.
14. Enjoy birthdays while they're still fun! Happy birthday!
15. It's all downhill from here :P Happy birthday, sweetie.
16. You're only getting more beautiful with the years. I haven't seen you yet today but I know you look great!
17. You're just an adult in training and will be for the next few decades. Happy birthday!
18. I'm going to do you a favor and call you tomorrow when you're less busy. You're welcome and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
19. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) < 18 smiley faces for your 18th birthday! You've brought at least a million to my face already.
20. Yippie! You're 18! Time to have more adventures together!
21. You've grown from an adorable little girl into a beautiful woman. Happy 18th, dear!
22. 18 years young and the best is yet to come! Happy birthday!!!
23. It's okay if today isn't the best day of your life because you have many, many more ahead of you. Happy birthday!
24. Hey hey hey! Happy birthday day! Hey hey hey! I just want to say! Hey hey hey! Time to par-tay!
25. Just because you're 18 doesn't mean you know it all. THANK GOD! Happy birthday!
Quotes About Growing Up and Getting Older
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." —C.S. Lewis
"The old believe everything. The middle-aged suspect everything. The young know everything." —Oscar Wilde
"I am not young enough to know everything." —J.M. Barrie
"I think we are well advised to keep on nodding terms with the people we used to be, whether we find them attractive company or not." —Joan Didion
"We are always the same age inside." —Gertrude Stein
"I am convinced that most people do not grow up. I think what we do is mostly grow old. We carry accumulation of years in our bodies, and on our faces, but generally our real selves, the children inside, are innocent and shy as magnolias." —Maya Angelou
"The mark of an immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." —J.D. Salinger
"There is a certain part of all of us that lives outside of time. Perhaps we become aware of our age only at exceptional moments and most of the time we are ageless." —Milan Kundera
"I think she is growing up, and so begins to dream dreams, and have hopes and fears and fidgets, without knowing why or being able to explain them." —Louisa May Alcott
"The longer I live the more beautiful life becomes." —Frank Lloyd Wright
"You are never too young to set a new goal or dream a new dream." —C.S. Lewis
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." —Abraham Lincoln
"At age 20, we worry about what others thing of us. At 40, we don't care what they think of us. At 60, we discover they haven't been thinking of us at all." —Ann Landers
"You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt, as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear, as young as your hope as old as your despair." —Douglas Macarthur
"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Who keeps learning stays young." —Henry Ford
"Today is the oldest that you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again." —Eleanor Roosevelt
"You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old." —George Burns
"The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been." —Madeleine L'Engle