Blake started out scribbling in cards over 30 years ago. Though his handwriting is mostly unchanged, the content has improved.
What to Write in a 20th Birthday Card
A 20th birthday is significant because it comes between the milestones of 18 and 21, is the first year after the teens, and marks a new decade. It's also the last decade before people start making jokes about being old, middle-aged, or over the hill.
Since the jokes about being old aren't relevant yet, you'll have to be a little more creative. Inside jokes are great if you know the person well enough, but that's not always possible or appropriate. If you're feeling stumped, use these 20th birthday wishes for inspiration!
Funny 20th Birthday Quotes
Writing something funny on a birthday card is always a great idea. In this case, you just need to say something related to turning 20. Here are some ideas to help you:
- Somehow you have survived being a teenager! Congratulations!
- Did you hear about the 20-year-old who was still cool? Yeah, me neither. Happy 20th!
- You have no excuse to act stupid; you're not a teenager anymore, and you're not old enough to drink yet!
- You make 20 look cool!
- Do you hear that? Your twenties have quietly arrived.
- I can think of 20 reasons you should have a good birthday.
- You look so much older than you did last year when you were a teenager.
- After 20, the decades start flying by.
- You're no longer at risk for teen pregnancy!
- You're halfway to 40!
- I was going to write you a really nice poem for your 20th, but I couldn't figure out any words that rhyme with twentieth. Zenith? Behemoth? Thirtieth?
- I hope that you will finally start acting like an adult now that you are in your 20's.
- Just think, only 10 more years until you're 30!
- You are the youngest 20-year-old I know!
- You are the perfect age to do anything. Actually, you're just the perfect age, period.
- What most 30-year-olds wish for on their birthday is to be your age again.
- You have 10 years until you are 30, but who's counting?
- 20 years is only 10,518,975.3 minutes. It doesn't seem so old when you think about it that way, does it?
Sincere 20th Birthday Messages
These birthday wishes for a 20-year-old are a little more on the sincere side. If you want to write something serious or meaningful, use these ideas for inspiration.
- I hope that your 20th is everything that you dreamed it could be.
- I can't believe you are in your 20s. I hope this proves to be an excellent decade in your life.
- May your wisdom increase as you move out of your teenage years.
- I wish you the best on this milestone birthday.
- You've done more in two decades than some people do in a lifetime. Here's to the decades ahead!
- You've grown into an amazing, intelligent, and caring individual. Here's to meeting your 20s head-on!
- Happy birthday to one of my favorite people. You are an amazing 20-year-old!
- I am so glad to be able to wish you a happy 20th birthday!
- Don't have a happy birthday; have an ecstatic one!
- Welcome to the third decade of your life!
Poems for Someone's 20th Birthday
Poems are a great way to convey a sincere or funny message to someone on their 20th birthday. Use one of these example poems or write one of your own!
You're 20 and that's a big deal
Because you're no longer a teen
There's no sadness yet to feel
Your 20s are yet to be seen
Read More From Holidappy
20 Looks Good on You
I still can't buy you a beer
But I'll tell you the truth
You're wearing another year
And 20 looks good on you
Change Your View
Being the perfect age must be rough
Being in your physical prime is tough
You're expected to be all grown up
But you're really still just a young pup
20 is just the beginning of getting old
And your next milestone will feel cold
Because 30 is coming soon for you
You'll have to start changing your view
Tips for Writing Birthday Messages
- Just because someone is having a milestone birthday doesn't mean your specific message has to be related to their age. You have many options for themes, so don't limit yourself.
- When writing a birthday message, focus on your relationship with the recipient. A card for a coworker should be written differently than a card for your son or daughter.
- If you're writing a birthday message for a Christian, add a religious element to your note.
- Be creative and have fun! The more you enjoy writing a birthday card, the more the recipient will enjoy reading it.
Is 20 the Perfect Age?
© 2013 Blake Flannery
Madinka on January 03, 2019:
Shola on October 17, 2017:
My plan is to have a birthday party for my 20th next year as I want to really have a good celebration to start my 20s.
Swarna on July 19, 2017:
Hi Darling Happy birthday.... Enjoy ur new life start
Blake Flannery (author) from United States on April 28, 2014:
Patti, I love your answer to the question. Attitude goes a long way!
Patti on April 28, 2014:
Having reached 70, I certainly believe 20 was not the perfect age. Actually, I never looked back and thought it was the perfect age. 30, 40, and 50 all had different advantages and superior in different ways to being 20. Although I know I am "old" by the world's standards, I love what my mother-in-law used to say: "Old is 15 years older than you are."
Would love to have the strength and stamina I had at 20, but hey I'm not old yet!!
Mackenzie Sage Wright on December 19, 2013:
This was great. I love the first one... I think I'm going to write that on my son's 20th birthday card. He's got a couple more years yet but that's one that'll stick in my memory. Great hub.
torrilynn on December 19, 2013:
These were some nice messages to write inside a 20 year old's birthday card. Most of them were funny. Thanks for the read . Up and funny.