45 Funny Ways to Say Hello
There are a bunch of things that you can do to make your day (and someone else's) more interesting, even with something as small as how you greet them! A simple “hello” normally does the trick, but maybe you want to switch it up a bit.
Just Say “Hi!”
It seems with more and more technology flooding our markets, we are becoming out-of-tune with the world around us—people in particular.
You might have noticed that people would rather stare down at their phones, pretending to do something important, or even make brief eye contact then stare away as you pass by, all in an effort to avoid saying something so simple as a greeting. This is not even just for total strangers, but acquaintances alike! It’s a common courtesy that is slowly slipping away as we indulge in social media and in a virtual world where we get so used to talking to people electronically that we forget how to do it face-to-face. We need to break this cycle of utter social awkwardness!
I don’t know about you, but when a friendly stranger simply smiles and says “hello” as they walk by, it makes my day better.
Don’t be that person who pretends not to see the people walking by. Be social, be happy, make your day better with real interaction while you also brighten up someone else's! If you are bored with saying “hello,” here are a few ways to mix it up!
Funny Greeting Tips to Try
Nearly any greeting can be funny if you say it the right way! Here are a few handy tips to try to ensure you amuse your amigo!
- Accents: Add a silly accent to your greeting. (Erro! G'day, mate!) Your friend will simply smile and probably call you a dork, but the smile was worth it, right?
- Silly voices: Who doesn't like silly voices and sounds? Try a few out. If you have a kid yourself, you know what noises you'll make to get a smile!
- Impersonations: If you do any impersonations, that'll make your greeting extra amusing, even more so if it's a lousy impersonation!
- Jokes: Start the conversation with a joke! Imagine answering the phone and hearing this: "How do you call a fish? You drop it a line!"
- Foreign languages: Switch it up by answering your mom's phone call with a little French or Japanese! It'll leave her confused, that's for sure! (More on these later!)
Saying Hello to Kids
- Hello, sunshine!
- Howdy, partner!
- Hey, howdy, hi!
- What’s kickin’, little chicken?
- Hey there, freshman!
- My name's Ralph, and I'm a bad guy.
- Hi, mister!
- I come in peace!
- Put that cookie down!
- Ahoy, matey!
Saying Hello to Family & Friends
- ‘Ello, gov'nor!
- Top of the mornin’ to ya!
- What’s crackin’?
- GOOOOOD MORNING, VIETNAM!
- ‘Sup, homeslice?
- This call may be recorded for training purposes.
- Howdy, howdy ,howdy!
- How does a lion greet the other animals in the field? A: Pleased to eat you.
- Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya.
- I'm Batman.
- At least, we meet for the first time for the last time!
- Hello, who's there, I'm talking.
- Here's Johnny!
- You know who this is.
- Ghostbusters, whatya want?
- Greetings and salutations!
Saying Hello to Your Love
With a significant other, anything goes as long as you are not disrespectful. If they don’t marry you because of how you say hello, well, then they are not the one for you.
- ‘Ello, mate.
- Heeey, baaaaaby.
- Hi, honeybunch!
- Oh, yoooouhoooo!
- How you doin'?
- I like your face.
- What's cookin', good lookin'?
- Howdy, miss.
- Why, hello there!
- Hey, boo.
"Hello" in Other Languages
- Aloha: Hawaiian
- Hola: Spanish
- Que pasa: Spanish
- Bonjour: French
- Hallo: German
- Ciao: Italian
- Konnichiwa: Japanese
Do you send "Thinking of You" cards to friends and family?
Questions & Answers
What do I say if she keeps asking me where I got her number from?
Before I give you my amazing list of awesome answers, I encourage you to get the numbers from the people you are actually calling. It can avoid this whole awkward, creepy part.
Here are some ways you can try to get around the question:
I found it in my phone and thought you put it in.
I was fighting a bear, and in return for sparing its life, it gave me your phone number.
I found it on the "most beautiful people on Facebook" Facebook page.
I borrowed "Captain Jack's compass," and it led me to a piece of paper with your number on it.
I asked Siri for the phone number of the most beautiful girl on Earth.
I found it on a piece of paper in my Lamborghini.
I saw the name "Angel" in my phone and decided to call it.
It was on my "missed calls" list, how did you get my number?
I know a guy.
I was going to come up with some impressive story, but I'll just tell it to you straight. My dad works for an agency that must not be named. He works on projects that I can't talk about but said that I could only have communications with one person. You're that person.Helpful 91