Blake started out scribbling in cards over 30 years ago. Though his handwriting is mostly unchanged, the content has improved.
What to Write in a 40th Wedding Anniversary Card
At 40 years, it gets difficult to imagine life without the other person. It hurts to think about if one of you died before the other, and the loss would be great.
Fortunately, this anniversary is a time of celebration and recognition. It's a time to acknowledge the past and look forward to the future.
Whether you are writing an anniversary message to your own spouse or friends reaching this milestone, you'll find the inspiration you need.
40th Anniversary Messages for Your Spouse
- I'm glad that we have been able to grow older together over the last 40 years.
- The only thing sad about being married to you for 40 years is that we can't live together forever. I know that we'll get to be together in heaven, though.
- Forty years seems like 40 days when you're with your best friend!
- I can't believe it has been 40 years, and I still feel like a newlywed with you.
- I suggest we celebrate our 40 years together by doing what we like to do best, spending time together.
- Thank you for 40 years of commitment despite my faults.
- I thought I loved you as much as I possibly could at 30 years, but I'm finding that I'm more in love with you with each decade that passes.
- We have grown together so much over the last 40 years that I can't imagine life without you.
- We've had 40 years to learn all the imperfections in each other, but we've also had 40 years to become more patient with each other.
Anniversary Wishes for Family and Friends on Their 40th
When you have friends or family celebrating their anniversary, it's a nice gesture to send them a card congratulating them. Here are some ideas for what to write to them on their special occasion.
Read More From Holidappy
- Who would have thought on your wedding day that 40 years later you'd be getting a card from me congratulating you on such a long marriage?
- I can think of at least 40 examples of how your marriage inspires younger couples.
- Your marriage is over the hill now that it's 40. Just make sure you don't have a mid-marriage crisis.
- At this point, one year is only 1/40th the total time you've been married. Your next year together is only a sliver of your marriage, but we know it will be a sweet one.
- After 40 years, what advice could I give you? You could teach a class on marriage.
- We hope your 40th is even better than your 39th!
- Your marriage is older than people who are in their 30s. Does that mean you got married as babies? You don't look that old.
- You've made it to four decades, and now you're only one more away from half a century. We hope the next decade is full of great times!
40th Anniversary Quotes
Use one of these when you want to add wit or wisdom to your anniversary message.
- “Being in a long marriage is a little bit like that nice cup of coffee every morning... I might have it every day, but I still enjoy it.” —Stephen Gaines
- “One day, in your search for happiness, you discover a partner by your side, and you realize that your happiness has come to help you search.” —Robert Brault
- “If you live to be 100, I hope to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.” —Winnie the Pooh
- “Marriage is a mosaic you build with your spouse. Millions of tiny moments that create your love story.” —Jennifer Smith
- "You never know anyone until you marry them." —Eleanor Roosevelt
- “The older I get, the less time I want to spend with the part of the human race that didn’t marry me.” —Robert Brault
- “The bonds of matrimony are like any other bonds; they mature slowly.” —Peter De Vries
Romantic Anniversary Poems
Write your own love poem if you can, and add some specific details about your relationship. If you need a little help getting started, these poem examples may work well.
Four decades later, we are still in love
And we still fit each other like a glove
Today is an opportunity and a blessing
And at forty years, we're still progressing
The Time Really Flies
Each time I look into your eyes
I feel like I won a great prize
We have grown old and wise
And we learned to compromise
Forty years we've been allies
With you, the time really flies
Related Anniversary Articles
- 10th Anniversary Wishes, Quotes, and Poems to Write in a Card
A 10th wedding anniversary marks a significant milestone for a relationship. Here are some example messages you can use in a card, text message, or a love note to your spouse.
- 20th Anniversary: Wishes, Quotes, and Greeting Card Messages
These are 20th wedding anniversary wishes that you can write in a card. These poems, quotes, and messages are varied enough for you to find the perfect sentiments.
- 30th Anniversary Wishes, Quotes, and Poems to Write in a Card
These are examples of what to write in a 30th wedding anniversary card. Use these wishes, quotes, and poems to craft the perfect message for your spouse or a happy couple.