What to Write on a 50th Birthday Card: Wishes, Sayings, and Poems
What to Write
50 is a huge milestone birthday and writing in someone's card can be a lot of fun. The following ideas will help you figure out what to write. Sometimes you want to say something sincere, reflective, or inspirational, and sometimes a funny message is the best choice.
Consider the person to whom you are giving the card, and choose a message that suits them. Use these examples to write your own message.
Chances are, if you are writing a 50th birthday wish to someone, you want your message to be funny. Here are some examples of humorous things to write:
- Now we can round your age up to 100!
- Congratulations! Now you are older than every 49-year-old in the entire world!
- You are one of the youngest 50-year-old people I know! That's only because you just turned 50.
- "Ahhhhh." That’s the sound you will make every time you sit down in a chair from now on. "Uhhhhh." That's the sound you will make every time you get up from a chair from now on. Happy 50th!
- If your life was a dollar, you’d be half spent. Unfortunately, most people’s lives aren’t even a dollar.
- You’ll never believe where I just heard your favorite song: in the elevator!
- Now, you can have higher expectations of yourself. Now, you'll be lucky to look 40 on a good day.
- Did you know that 50% of 50-year-olds will make it to 100? Did you also know that 50% of all statistics in this card are false?
- You're halfway to 100! Here’s to optimism, whether it is realistic or not.
- Here's a math problem for you: Does 50% of the lung power of a 25-year-old, plus two times the number of candles, equal 100% of the candles blown out? You're right, that is not a math problem. That's your problem.
- Congratulations on reaching the magical age of "getting out of heavy lifting and manual labor." No one wants to be to be blamed for a 50-year-old's slipped disk or heart attack.
- Just so you know, it’s fine with me if you want to turn 49 again. I understand.
- Turning 50 should at least help your memory in one way: 50 is an easier number to remember than 49.
- If you could wake up tomorrow morning and be any age you could choose, you probably would not care because you are grateful for waking up at all.
- Enjoy your 50’s. These may be the last 10 years of your life that you actually know how to work the remote control for your TV.
- I’m sorry to inform you that your 50-year-warranty has expired on your back, knees, and memory. Luckily, your lifetime warranty on your heart is still in effect. Of course, that expires when you do.
- People of your age are usually conservatives. At 50, you need to conserve your energy.
- To stay a friend of a 50-year-old, you have to be discreet or dishonest.
- Something about your first digit recently changed, and I'm not talking about your thumb.
- 51 will be tons of fun if you can manage to accept your new age during this difficult year.
You know you're 50 when:
- Your birthday cake’s content is 50% wax.
- You start telling people you are 60 just so they'll tell you that you look great for your age.
- Pumping gas is considered as much of a workout as pumping iron used to be.
- Your common sense works much better than your sense of hearing or sight.
- You no longer mind if the speed limit is the same as your age.
- You compare yourself to a redwood tree to make yourself feel young.
- You could teach a history course by memory alone on the last half century.
Since turning 50 is a huge milestone, you can use this opportunity to write something meaningful. Here are some serious and sincere things you can write:
- I can think of 50 reasons you should have an awesome birthday this year.
- 50 is the perfect age to do something unexpected. Go surprise someone.
- Take care of your big 50-year-old heart. We love having you around!
- You have lived a large chunk of life, and I have enjoyed being around you for the chunk that I have known you out of your 50 years.
- God has been perfecting you for the last 50 years so that you can be used by him for great things the rest of your life.
- If you didn't accomplish all that you set out to do, you still have plenty of time!
Here are a couple specific 50th birthday poems you can use for your card:
You try to do the math to make it work
But you find it's your own leg you jerk
Your age is described as valuable gold
There's no denying you're getting old
You've learned a lot through the years
No time for tears while facing fears
You've aged gracefully and with style
Hoping you stay around a good while
Even though you made it to the age of 50
And everyone around you thinks it’s nifty
You may not agree that getting older is all so great
You think it would be better if the big 5-0 could wait
If you're looking to write something that sounds more like a quote you can try one of these:
- At 50, you have had 50 years to acquire 50 miles of wrinkles.
- 50-year-old people are much more selective. They have selective hearing and choose their battles wisely.
- Gratitude becomes much easier with age. You become more grateful for being alive.
- You have 10 years left to accomplish all that you wished to accomplish before age 60!
- 50 is the new 49, with an extra year of experience.
- You only get to turn 50 once, but you get 49 practice birthdays.
- A 50-year-old has the potential to be unstoppable, as long as he keeps moving.