70th Birthday Wishes and Sayings: What to Write in a Card
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. said, "To be seventy years young is sometimes far more cheerful and hopeful than to be forty years old." This is a fun thing to write to someone in a 70th birthday card.
If you need some help with writing the right message, you've found the right page. This is a list of some funny and sincere sayings that are written specifically for someone turning 70.
It's a big one. With average life expectancy in the upper seventies, 70 will be the last milestone birthday for most people. Plus, it may be the first milestone birthday after retirement. Use a funny saying to tickle the wit and humor most 70-year-old people have, or send a really sincere birthday wish.
Funny Sayings and Jokes
Quotes and sayings are a great way to spice up a birthday card, especially if they're relevant to the specific milestone birthday.
- Turning 70 means two things: you survived the 60s and you survived your 60s.
- When you're 70 years old, you become more thankful for "the big things in life." For example, large print crossword puzzles.
- Don't worry if your youth seems to be escaping you at age 70, you can't expect to catch all the grandkids!
- If your kids and grandkids look down on you in your 70s, you only have yourself to blame. You encouraged them to eat their vegetables and drink their milk.
- The problem with getting old isn't so much that you slow down, it's that the rest of the world doesn't.
- When you turn 70, you deserve to be respected. Too bad life isn't fair.
- When you hit your seventies, you start getting congratulated again for not having to wear a diaper. People say, "You did it! You made it to the bathroom!"
- At 70, the mind runs faster than the body.
- No one decides to turn 70, they just happen to be lucky enough to still be able to breathe.
- 70-year-old people still have the whole rest of their lives ahead of them.
- "Being 70 is not a sin." –Golda Meir
Here are some funny birthday messages. Use the milestone to poke fun at age and the way people handle birthdays.
- You look great for somebody who's turning 80!
- Now that you're in your 70s, it's time to grow up and stop acting like an irresponsible 60-year-old.
- Now that you're 70, you can never drive as fast as your age in miles per hour again, for the rest of your life.
- Now that you are 70, all your years of dieting, exercising, and doctor's visits are really starting to pay off.
- If I could go back in time, I'd buy your birthday gift the year you were born. It would have been much less expensive 70 years ago.
- I've been thinking about myself possibly turning 70 in the future, too. Let me know if it works out well for you.
- I was going to write you a really great poem for your birthday, but I couldn't think of any words that rhyme with seventy.
- You are an impressive 70-year-old person, but as an 80 year old, you'll be amazing. Stay impressive and be amazing in 10 years!
If you don't feel like being funny or making fun of the aging process, you can always just be a nice person. Send one of these sincere messages:
- I am blessed by knowing such an amazing person in his/her 70s.
- 70 is an awesome number for such an awesome person! Keep getting better as you get older.
- It's amazing that such a great person can develop in only 70 years.
- The world has been blessed by such an amazing person for a whole 70 years!
- You are just the right age to be a really cool senior citizen.
- I'm wishing you another 30 great years of life before you officially turn old at 100.
- Have a really fun 70th birthday, you only get to turn 70 once.
If all that you need is a theme to brainstorm ideas for the card, here is a list of some themes that go with the age of 70:
- Senior citizen discounts
- Grandparent status
- Social security
- Nursing home
- Aging issues: memory, eyesight, etc.
- Breaking a hip
Use caution when making a joke about something that might be a serious concern for the 70-year-old, such as going into a nursing facility. Fun birthday cards make light of human nature more than making fun of specific people, so be general and use good taste.