Blake started out scribbling in cards over 30 years ago. Though his handwriting is mostly unchanged, the content has improved.
What to Write
Being lucky enough to wish someone turning 80 a happy birthday doesn't make writing in their birthday card any easier. This birthday marks a huge milestone. With this card, you have the opportunity to acknowledge a long and meaningful life.
80 is beyond average life expectancy, so reaching this age is a blessing. Likewise, people at this age are a blessing to be around and there's a lot to learn from them, even if you don't agree with everything they say. Use the following examples to help you come up with a great birthday wish for the new 80-year-old in your life.
It's okay to write something funny in these cards. If you make it to 80, then you probably have a sense of humor. Your card can help the birthday boy or girl not take their age too seriously.
1. How much would you be worth at your age if you were wine? Not as much as you're worth to me, my friend.
2. You are the youngest 80-year-old I know.
3. I can't believe you are 80. You don't look as old as a 70-year-old who has aged 10 years.
4. It seems like you were in your 70s just yesterday! Oh wait, you were.
5. Remember when you were hitting your first milestone at 10 years old? I don't. I wasn't even born yet.
6. You're not in your 70s anymore. Good thing 80 is the new 60.
7. Don't let anyone in their 90s tell you that you're too young to do anything. You have a maturity beyond your years despite your youthful looks.
8. It's a good thing you've had 80 years to develop your sense of humor because I'm relying on you to say something funny.
9. If you have the best birthday you have ever had, then today will be better than at least 80 days of your life. Most people can't say that.
10. At your age, you no longer want to hear, "You look good for your age." That's not saying much at 80.
11. At 80 years old, I am sure that you don’t want to waste a lot of time reading a long message in your card, so I will keep this one short. You inspire me!
12. You are twice as old as a 40-year-old, which means you are twice the fun.
13. You have experienced a lot. If there is something to learn, you have learned it. The key now is trying to remember it all.
14. Enjoy your 80s, because you probably won't remember much of them when you're 90.
15. Once you hit 80, time speeds up. Everything else seems to speed up too.
1. You definitely wear 80 well. Reaching 80 is a great accomplishment, but you make it seem easy and effortless. Enjoy your special day!
2. You are the most active 80-year-old I know. I can only hope to be as active and productive when I turn 80. I wish you many more fruitful years.
3. Wishing you a grand and glorious 80th birthday! May your heart be filled with happiness.
4. You have successfully navigated through 80 years of life! Way to go!
5. Enjoy this special day and prepare for many more.
6. They say that wisdom is not measured in years, but there is a wealth of wisdom to be found in the 80 years that you have as experience.
7. You are 80 today, but you don’t look a day over 60. Your joy and passion have preserved you well, and I wish you many more wonderful years.
8. A lot can happen in 80 years. You have written many stories over your life, but you are not finished yet. Enjoy your 80th birthday and preparing for the next chapter.
9. Let’s see: You have seen World War II, the Korean War, the war in Vietnam, and the rise of the Beatles. You could teach a history class from your own perspective.
10. Turning 80 represents a great deal of knowledge and wisdom.
11. You have made many sacrifices in eighty years and set an example that I hope to follow. Thanks for being such an inspiration.
12 .You have taught me so much in my life, but I know I have a lot more to learn from you. I look forward spending more time absorbing your wisdom.
13. They say that age is just a number, but it is so much more than that. Your 80 years are especially remarkable. You have taught me many lessons, simply by the way you live your life.
14. There are those that attempt to teach through long speeches, but you have demonstrated your lessons in life simply by living yours over the last 80 years.
15. You are truly an awesome inspiration. Here’s to many more fruitful years.
16. In the 80 years that you have lived on this planet, you have done much to leave a legacy that will last. Enjoy your 80th!
17. What does it feel like to have seen 8 decades of life and accomplishments? It has to feel great to have seen so much and to be able to talk about it with those you love.
18. I was just thinking how funny it would be to watch you attempt to blow out 80 candles, but I decided to let you slide on this one. Having successfully endured 80 years has earned you a pass.
19. You have set a high standard over the last 80 years that I aspire to reach.
20. You have brought so many moments of joy and happiness in other's lives. I hope that your 80th birthday is filled with abundance.
21. You have done so many remarkable and unforgettable things in your life. I simply want to wish you a remarkable and unforgettable 80th birthday.
22. You are deserving of much honor for all that you have done in your 80 years. The world is a better place because you are in it. Enjoy your special day.
Poems About being 80
I heard old people like poetry
So I started writing this down
But you're not really old
So I won't make you frown
Wishes for Grandparents
- As I think about you turning 80, I'm grateful for the blessing you have been my entire life. You're still the perfect age to by my grandparent.
- Your favorite grandchild would like to wish you a happy 80th birthday.
- Now that you are 80, you can tell stories to prove how easy kids have it these days. Could you text me your stories?
- I can't believe you are already 80. It seems like it was just my short lifetime ago that you were in your 50s.
- I thought that having grandchildren was supposed to keep you young. I must not be doing my job. I guess I'll just have to keep you young at heart.
- It's hard to imagine you as anything other than my grandparent. I've only been around for a few of the 8 decades that you have!
- Knowing an 80-year-old is already cool, but having a grandparent turn 80 is even better.
- I'm already looking forward to telling you happy birthday on your 90th, and every year between now and then.
King Bee on July 17, 2017:
Wishes for Grandparents
1. As I think about you turning 80, I'm grateful for the blessing you have been my entire life. You're still the perfect age to ***be*** my grandparent.
The Shaare Zedek UK Family on March 22, 2017:
You are deserving of much honour for all that you have done in your 80 years. The world is a better place because you are in it. We truly hope you enjoy your special day.
With much love,
Simi, Emilie, Yasmin, Emma, Katie, James and Gail.