I would like to share some Bible verses that have helped me through the loss of a loved one in the hopes that they will help others as well.
Bible Verses for Death of a Loved One
The loss of a loved one is already devastating for anyone. When the loss is unexpected, the pain is beyond words. I know this because three years ago, my 19-year-old daughter passed away after an auto accident. My world came crashing down and I was engulfed in a wrenching pain that can only be known by another parent who has lost a child.
In the future, I hope to write more about my daughter and what God has taught me and is still teaching me, about the comfort He has given me, and the peace that is inexplicable. At this point, I can only write on the surface and without detail, but I want to share some Bible verses that have been and continue to be an encouragement for me in hopes that some other grieving mom may be looking for the same comfort and assurance that I searched for in the months following my daughter's accident. I hope these can help you as well.
Bible Verses for the Passing of a Loved One
- Those who have been ransomed by the Lord will return. They will enter Jerusalem singing, crowned with everlasting joy. Sorrow and mourning will disappear, and they will be filled with joy and gladness.
- The young women will dance for joy, and the men—old and young—will join in the celebration. I will turn their mourning into joy. I will comfort them and exchange their sorrow for rejoicing.
- Don't let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father's home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. And you know the way to where I am going.
- I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don't be troubled or afraid.
- Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began.
- Can anything ever separate us from Christ's love? Does it mean he longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? ... No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God's love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below. Indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- No eye has seen no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.
1 Corinthians 2:9b
- And God will raise us from the dead by his power, just as he raised our Lord from the dead.
1 Corinthians 6:14
- Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous. Be strong. And do everything with love.
1 Corinthians 16:13
- All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort.
2 Corinthians 1:3
- Through suffering, our bodies continue to share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies.
2 Corinthians 4:10
- For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands.
2 Corinthians 5:1
- For we will put on heavenly bodies, we will not be spirits without bodies.
2 Corinthians 5:3
- We would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord.
2 Corinthians 5:8b
- Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4: 6-7
- He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds.
- And now, dear brothers and sisters, we want you to know what will happen to the believers who have died so you will not grieve like people who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and was raised to life again, we also believe that when Jesus returns, God will bring back with him the believers who have died.
1 Thessalonians 4:13-14
- So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.
1 Peter 1:6-7
- Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.
- Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.
- He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.
- And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.
- God blesses those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
- The Lord hears his people when they call to him for help. He rescues them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.
- Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil to come. For those who follow godly paths
will rest in peace when they die.
- Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4
If you have a favorite verse that has helped you in times of trouble, please do share it in the comments!
For Those Who Are Suffering
During the worst days following my daughter's accident, God surrounded me with people who had gone through what I was going through—both in person and online. In fact, some of the greatest comforts for me during that period came from strangers online who are now friends. If you are struggling now, please feel free to contact me. I don't even begin to have answers, but I understand the pain and I will walk beside you and share your grief.
If you are the friend of someone who has lost a loved, please read my article on how to comfort a friend.
Tina young on August 16, 2020:
I was reading Giselle’s and christine posts about loosing their loved ones my son Shawnn was brutrly murdered July 9 in Sherman tx the people if that is how I should address them were caught now with young children still at home a sick husband and my sons son at home I am falling apart as both of you and so many others are I have always been a in wavering Christian but lately I have not found myself praying much so u have given me a little strength knowing how I am not the only one suffering right this minute too and have been given help from all the Bible verses shared peace b with u all
Gary on May 01, 2020:
Thanks for these Bible verses. They are really helping me coping with the lost of my wife and best friend of 38 years.
Read More From Holidappy
Christine Matthews on February 21, 2020:
I lost my oldest daughter on Nov. of 2018. She died in her sleep and I lost my only living brother Jan. of this year. The pain is still there and I know my daughter wouldn't want me to still be greiving. She was a happy, vivacious person. God has a plan for everything and every person and I know she and my brother are in a beautiful place but the pain is still in my heart. I miss them so very much.
Grandma Pat ... Martin, Lara and Mark on February 17, 2020:
I was at the hospital with my husband who was on his deathbed today (98 years old) he was the father of our two boys (1 died long ago) ...... I smiled and said to him....you will go to HEAVEN with your son Gregory and your Mom and Dad....and those of us (your other son and grand children will be praying for you and yours .... and missing you! God Bless You!
Otis Maffett on January 23, 2020:
Isaiah 57 verse 1 and 2 also Second Corinthian chapter one first three and four also Psalms 34 Verse 17 and 18
Dee on January 04, 2020:
I am a widow and I lost my only child, my 37 year old daughter one month ago. She was my life.
Mei on December 22, 2019:
I lost my mom this year and the grieving process is painful and emotional. I miss her presence although i know she is with God.
Dolina tubit on December 08, 2019:
I love words
Hollypop7 Carter on November 14, 2019:
Thank you l thought nobody cared.
Hazel on July 21, 2019:
Wonderful to be able to get me decent verses.Thank you.
Donna on July 20, 2019:
WHAT???!!! B A N D A G E S???
That’s not in the Bible
very bad stuff to not use a KJV
I guess that’s what happened
Binds. It’s binds. Binds is the word
Not Johnson n Johnson’s BANDAGES
COME ON! Bad bad bad
Gisell Mendoza Rodriguez on June 30, 2019:
I am 14 years old and I had just lost my only big brother who was 17 in June 31, 2019. His name was Michael Rodriguez. We have a different mother, but the same father. He was killed by a gang in Dallas Texas. He was in his car with his girlfriend, when some gangsters came up to his car and shot him in the head 12am. 7pm he didn’t handle the pain and gave up...
Nehemiah MA on May 30, 2019:
Bible app is very useful and and effective for me am using in church and youth meeting.
Martha Fiattarone on May 14, 2019:
My grandson's mother committed suicide a few days and my heart is broken. I am trying so hard to be strong. But all I want to do is cry. I know God is in control of all of this, I just want the why thoughts to stop. Lord help me and keep my grandson's heart from becoming angry .
jody senn on April 03, 2019:
we lost our 21 year old daughter in a tragic car accident the grief is almost unbearable but I know god is good and our faith in him will get us through thanks for sharing your words of your loss and the bible verses that give us comfort
Ruthie on December 07, 2018:
Psalm 119:75 King James Version (KJV)
I know, O Lord, that thy judgments are right, and that thou in faithfulness hast afflicted me.
One of the most perplexing aspects of the Christian Life is trying to understand God's purpose when defeat or affliction come into our lives. God knows the end from the beginning he knows what we don't know therefore we can know that all things work together for good to them that love God and are called according to his purpose. Until Christ returns we must simply Trust HIM! You have to know that whatever HE does is right and that our affliction is invested with his faithfulness.
I know you are at peace in heaven with
Jesus and I thank God for that but I will still miss you so very much! We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Nadia Charles on July 04, 2018:
My sister was missing on 3/16/16 and it hurt every time I think about where she can be for the two years, and on 4/9/18 My family and I was inform by the Miami police that her bones were found in an abounded Miami building, we know she was murdered, I am numb I cry at time than stop and say it can't be my beautiful loving baby sister, we have to wait for month to get the cause and time of death, my sister dream was to open a food pantry and that what I am trying to do here in GA, that's what is helping me with her death I know that God will send all the right people my way to help me open up the food pantry ( Cynthia Food Pantry) these one thing in life that no one can get use to is Death specially if you have a miserable death. But we have to know that our love ones lives with us I know I see my sister all the time go on my Facebook and read the story of her, what hurts at times is not knowing how she died I ask myself did she suffer all alone without any lo e one, was she help against her will I. That building, was she tortured, Lord only you know, my sister was such a caring and loving person she will always say that her relationship between God is her relationship she did love Jesus for sure. At times I do question God and say that all these evil people out here who is killing and harming children gets to live but these good people are dieing,, but why. Not that I don't trust you Lord you know my heart, I will forever love you, I excepted you into my life as my Lord and savior.