Blake started out scribbling in cards over 30 years ago. Though his handwriting is mostly unchanged, the content has improved.
What to Write in a Child's Birthday Card
Usually, kids are much more excited about their birthdays than adults are. For children, birthdays are a true celebration, and each birthday is considered a milestone, even if it isn't a round number. Birthdays for kids involve a recognition of growth, not just aging. And with that growth comes new experiences, abilities, responsibilities, and levels of trust.
Below you will find birthday messages for the following types of kids:
- Small children
- School-aged kids
Birthday Wishes for Young Kids
Kids come in all shapes, sizes, ages, and temperaments. These birthday messages are for the small and young type. These wishes wok great for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th birthdays. For these kids, it's a good idea to keep your message short and sweet, just like the kids.
- As you grow, we hope you know our love is growing too!
- I hope that when today is all done, you can say that your birthday was fun.
- You're getting so big, I can't believe it!
- Take a big breath like a gasping fish. Blow out your candles and make a wish.
- You are my favorite birthday boy/girl, and I want a big hug!
- Today, you're the superstar of the party. I hope you have fun!
- You're the cutest __ year-old I know.
- You are the star of the day. Shine bright like your cute smile.
- You just keep getting cooler each year.
- For a girl: You are the birthday princess, and we hope it's a magical day.
- For a boy: You are growing up and becoming a little man!
Birthday Wishes for School-Aged Kids
School-aged kids will be able to read your birthday message, so you can put a lot of thought into it. Consider using one of these:
- You're getting older today and that's cool, but you're still not old enough to quit going to school.
- Forget your homework and forget making your bed, it's your birthday and it's time to party!
- More responsibility comes with each passing year, but you are getting smarter so you have nothing to fear.
- It's really fun to see you grow older!
- I remember when you were born, and I can't believe you are already __ years old.
- Our greatest gift is being blessed with you for our child.
- Students look forward to new friends at school. Writing new letters is certainly cool. The thing to remember is that you are a jewel! Have a happy birthday and don't be a fool.
- Seconds make minutes, and minutes make hours. Hours make days, and days make months. Months make years with smiles and cheers. Here comes another happy year!
Birthday Wishes for a Son
These messages can be used for your son on his birthday:
- This last year has been a fast one. We're proud of all that you've done. We're really glad that you're our son. We hope your birthday is really fun.
- I was going to write something in your card that is sappy, but since you're my son I'll just wish that your birthday is happy!
- I have a birthday gift for you, but you have been a birthday gift for me as a parent for __ years.
- You are making us more and more proud with each year that goes by.
- We hope you're as excited about your birthday this year as we were the day you were born. It was a magical miracle to meet you.
- May God continue to guide you and bless you as you grow as a person. Happy birthday!
- You're growing up so fast, I'm starting to feel old. It's worth seeing you become the wonderful young man that you've become.
Birthday Wishes for a Stepson
- I love having you as a stepson. I hope your birthday is a fun one.
- Even though I didn't give birth to you, you are special to me, and I'm so proud of the little man you are becoming.
Birthday Card Messages for a Daughter
These messages can be used for your daughter's birthday card:
- It's easy to see how much of a blessing you are to your family, friends, and others. We are really proud to have you as our daughter.
- Eat as much cake as you can without having to hurl. Have fun on your birthday. You're my special little girl.
- We can see that you are growing in maturity, character, and intelligence at a much faster rate than your are aging. We are excited to see what comes from you.
- Daughters like you are an inspiration to those who know you. I am one person you motivate to do my best. Have an awesome birthday!
- The day you were born was one of the happiest days of my life, and your birthdays will always be very special. You are a priceless gift.
Birthday Wishes for Stepdaughter
- I am very happy to be able to call you my stepdaughter. I hope your birthday is a special time. Have a blast!
- I may be your stepparent, but I am just as proud of what you've become as I could be. You are blossoming into a beautiful young lady with great character. Happy birthday!
Read More From Holidappy
- Birthday Messages: What to Write in a Birthday Card
What should you write in someone's birthday card? Here are over 90 examples of birthday messages, wishes, and quotes organized by category, including funny, milestone, belated, family, quotes, etc.
someone who cares on January 21, 2020:
I think there should be some for older kids to friends.
Gracie on September 02, 2019:
How about birthday greeting for a teenage boy
Name on March 22, 2019:
think you should put more love and make them more for younger kids that are not in school yet.
.... on April 14, 2018:
Well I think you should put more meaning into it (if you understand)but what I mean is that I’m not making a list I’m making a paragraph.
Alex on March 18, 2017:
God had given you guys all a new year of life to celebrate your own birth even though you have given your mom a really hard time through her pregnancy and our birth just like I had given to my mom!! Therefore all of you guys should respect your mom and be happy with what she has given you!!!
Micheal from United Kingdom on April 10, 2015:
It is the simple things like this that matter so much. Thanks.
Karen Hellier on January 22, 2013:
These are great. I think you should write for Hallmark cards...ever thought of it? Voted up!
Deepali from India on January 22, 2013:
Good job Blake,
actually whenever we plan to give cards to our kids we normally keep on repeating some typical quotations.
Your hub is a great idea regarding this.