Blake started out scribbling in cards over 30 years ago. Though his handwriting is mostly unchanged, the content has improved.
What to Write in a Birthday Card for Mom
Moms are special people. Writing a birthday card message for your mom can be daunting because it's so difficult to express the feelings of gratitude you have for the amazing impact that her life has made on yours.
Celebrate your mother's life with an awesome message of admiration, gratitude, respect, and adoration. If you have a close and casual relationship, you might want to write something funny in her card. Here are a bunch of examples of sincere, meaningful, funny, and inspirational things to write to your mom on her birthday. Mix these words with your own to create the perfect birthday card message.
Meaningful and Sincere Birthday Messages for Mom
- I’m not only celebrating your birth today. I’m celebrating my own luck in being born to such a great mother.
- If it weren’t for you, I’d never been born. But there are so many more reasons you are an important part of my life, and I want to wish you a happy birthday.
- Mom, I hope you have a very special birthday, because you are a very special person to me.
- You’re a beautiful, loving, amazing, wonderful woman, and being a little older today can’t change that. I am wishing you a happy birthday.
- I hope today is the one day this year that you get to feel at least as special as you always make me feel.
- A birthday never went by that I didn’t feel special to you. I am wishing the same for you today.
- I can’t imagine a world where you were never born, and I’ll never be able to imagine how different life would be if I didn’t have you as my mother. Happy birthday! Today we celebrate the blessing your life has been to me and many others.
- You are the most wonderful, caring woman I know.
- Mom, you were born to be my mom _____ years ago. I am very grateful you were born for that purpose and for so many other great reasons.
- Because you clothed me, fed me, changed my diaper, kept me safe, and taught me stuff, I want to say a special happy birthday to a very special person.
Funny Birthday Messages for Mom
I won't suggest that all people write a funny message to their mothers for their birthdays, but if you have a mom who appreciates humor, go for it. Here are a few ideas of themes to get you started:
- I knew exactly what you wanted for your birthday this year. Me... out of the house for a day. Happy birthday, Mom!
- It’s amazing how good you look for your age, considering all the grief I gave you when I was younger.
- Remember how I used to give you really funny looking homemade birthday cards? Oh yeah... I still do. (You have to have a sloppy looking homemade card for this to work.)
Quotes and Sayings About Mothers
Use these quotes for inspiration:
- “My mother... she is beautiful, softened at the edges and tempered with a spine of steel. I want to grow old and be like her.” ―Jodi Picoult
- “If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?” —Milton Berle
- “All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” ―Abraham Lincoln
- "One of the very few reasons I had any respect for my mother when I was thirteen was because she would reach into the sink with her bare hands—bare hands—and pick up that lethal gunk and drop it into the garbage. To top that, I saw her reach into the wet garbage bag and fish around in there looking for a lost teaspoon. Bare hands—a kind of mad courage." —Robert Fulghum
- “I realized when you look at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” —Mitch Albom
- “Mother’s love is bliss, is peace, it need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. If it is there, it is like a blessing; if it is not there it is as if all the beauty had gone out of life.” —Erich Fromm
- “God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers.” ―Jewish Proverb
- “My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her.” —George Washington
- “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power. Or the climbing, falling colors of a rainbow.” —Maya Angelou
- “Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; A mother’s secret hope outlives them all.” —Oliver Wendell Holmes
- “As mothers and daughters, we are connected with one another. My mother is the bones of my spine, keeping me straight and true. She is my blood, making sure it runs rich and strong. She is the beating of my heart. I cannot now imagine a life without her.” ―Kristin Hannah
- “A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.” ―Washington Irving
- “A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary.” —Dorothy Canfield Fisher
- "A suburban mother’s role is to deliver children obstetrically once, and by car forever after." —Peter De Vries
- “The phrase ‘working mother’ is redundant.” —Jane Sellman
- "A mom reads you like a book, and wherever she goes, people read you like a glowing book review." —Robert Brault
- "A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie." —Tenneva Jordan
- "If you have a mom, there is nowhere you are likely to go where a prayer has not already been." —Robert Brault
- "A mom’s hug lasts long after she lets go." —Author Unknown
- "Mom: the person most likely to write an autobiography and never mention herself." —Robert Brault
Birthday Messages for Mothers from Young Children
If you are a little kid or a dad trying to figure out how to help a little kid, these should give you an idea of what to write. In this case, simple is better (and remember, moms love drawings!).
- For your birthday, I want to give you extra hugs and kisses.
- You are the best mommy in the world.
- Mommy, you make me happy. I hope you have the best birthday ever!
- Daddy and I want to wish you a happy birthday!
Christian Birthday Card Messages for Mom
If your mom is a Christian with a strong faith, the most meaningful thing you can write may be a religious message. Don't forget that Bible verses can go well with your message. Choose one that is encouraging, and write the entire verse in the card. Here are a few examples of religious birthday wishes for mothers:
- May the Lord bless you and keep you another year!
- I thank God not just today, but many days for the blessing you have been in my life. Today I get to officially celebrate what I know in my heart every day.
- It’s amazing all the good that God can do through a single life like yours. Happy birthday to an amazing woman and mother!
- Happy birthday to the only person besides Jesus who can love me unconditionally.
Imogen on August 06, 2020:
I just saw the comments and realised how little people use proper grammar. It saddens me...
Khiara on March 26, 2020:
Thank U my mum turns 31 tomorrow I made her a card
Sheetal Sharma on March 24, 2020:
These messages wrote by you guys are amazing. You really put our thoughts and blessings into words. Our mind really never strike write words when it comes to wishing someone close to our lives.
I recently purchase a greeting card for my mother on her birthday from https://paperkami.com/ . These guys just do wonders like you. The difference is that they do it in crafting field and you help in making these amazing 3D pop up greeting cards complete by your quotes.
sophie on March 23, 2020:
shivangi on October 05, 2019:
amazing ideas thank u
Unicorns on April 14, 2019:
Such wonderful things to write to ur mom!
Mary on January 31, 2019:
Thankyou so much today is my moms bday and i was writing her a card. Couldnt think of anything to write so i searched on google. And found this website! I only looked at the first verse and wrote one down. Then i realised there were more funny, inspiring messages lol. Hope she likes it
Bek on December 07, 2018:
wow these are great my mum really appreciated the genuineness.
hi on October 25, 2018:
Titiksha on October 16, 2018:
It was good l tried it on my mom
werew on July 24, 2018:
that was good for me to do for my mom
Hannah on May 14, 2018:
Thank you so much
Kat on May 13, 2018:
Mommy, i love you so much your the best mom any one could ever ask for your pretty your funny and i could go on for days i just want to say i love you to the moon and back❤️
MISS_BOSS_LIFE on April 11, 2018:
NICE I THINK SHE WILL LIKE IT
meisha on March 29, 2018:
i think she likes it
Mailey on January 19, 2018:
Shannon on December 01, 2017:
Love this because I’m writing my mums card and I really wanted to write something special her birthday is tomorrow! Happy birthday to my lovely mother!
Baba on October 11, 2017:
Sky Brough on September 17, 2017:
It's alright but I need a little more things to write! My card is really big✌
ali on July 28, 2017:
I love it
imagyn on June 16, 2017:
I love this it is awsome because today is my mom's birthday
happy_person on November 20, 2016:
Thanks. My mom is going to be so happy. Her birthday is coming up soon. And I have been waiting to write her an amazing birthday card for once in her life.
Bidi able on September 20, 2016:
this webpage helped me a lot. Thanks
KAitlin on February 07, 2016:
This is an amazing website and I bet my mom will love it on her birthday card.
Jonas Rodrigo on July 27, 2015:
I've never been an expressive child, or an expressive person in general. This is a helpful hub.
donkey on April 30, 2015:
This is a great website
gerhiusogho on October 12, 2014:
I like this page!!!
Thekd304 on November 04, 2013:
Thankyou so much this helped me so much LOVE THIS WEBSITE!
taw2012 from India on March 20, 2012:
nice hub. the words written on mothers b'day card really matters !!!
Aj on March 08, 2012:
Profound and moving. Thank you.