Encouraging Words, Messages, and Quotes for Cards
Encouraging Others with Words
Words are powerful tools. When a friend is discouraged or having a difficult time, the right words can clear their outlook and lift their spirits. Other times, there may be a person who does great work and deserves an encouraging note, and the right words from you will make all the difference.
Friends, teachers, and co-workers are just a few of the people in your life who might appreciate some encouragement. An example of a message for a teacher is, "I really appreciate the extra time you take to make sure that your students learn. I can tell you have a natural gift of teaching, and you work hard to put it to good use."
It may be difficult to know what to say to someone to inspire hope, especially if you have not been blessed with the natural gift of being able to encourage others. The following quotes, messages, inspirational sayings, and religious words can be used or adapted for a variety of situations.
Quotes to Lift Spirits
The following is a hand-selected collection of encouraging quotes to be used to lift the spirits of a friend. Credit is given on all quotes that I know the source of.
- "Mistakes are proof that you are trying."
- "Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny." —C.S. Lewis
- "Your value doesn't decrease based on someone's inability to see your worth."
- "Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday." —Dale Carnegie
- "Some days there won't be a song in your heart. Sing anyway." —Emory Austin
- "When you let your light shine, you unconsciously give others permission to do the same." —Nelson Mandela
- "Be strong, you never know who you are inspiring."
- "It might be stormy now, but it can't rain forever."
- "Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love." —Mother Teresa
- "You haven't failed until you quit trying."
- "Your day will go the way the corners of your mouth turn."
- "Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."
- Hope is the little voice you hear whisper "maybe" when it seems the entire world is shouting "no!"
- "Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm." —Winston Churchill
- "Whenever life sucks, remember you're going to die someday."
- "What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise." —Oscar Wilde
- "Don't let your struggle become your identity."
- "Take pride in how far you have come and have faith in how far you can go." —Christian Larson
- "Someday, everything will make perfect sense. So, for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears and keep reminding yourself that everything happens for a reason."
Religious and Christian Words of Encouragement
- "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." —Jeremiah 29:11
- "I believe in the sun even if it isn't shining. I believe in love even when I'm alone. I believe in God even when He is silent."
- "I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, do not fear, I will help you." —Isaiah 41:13
- "In this world you will have trouble, but take heart. I have overcome the world." —John 16:33
- "When God gives you a 'no,' give him a 'thank you.' He was protecting you from less than his best."
- "For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." —Timothy 1:7
- "We know that in all things, God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." —Romans 8:28
- "Let your hope make you glad. Be patient in time of trouble & never stop praying." —Romans 12;12
- "God is using your present circumstances to make you more useful for later roles in his unfolding story." —Louie Gliglio
- "The same power that raised Christ from the dead is inside of you." —Romans 8:11
- "Sometimes God lets you hit rock bottom so that you will discover that He is the rock at the bottom."
- "If you lean on the strength of God, then it is not possible to fall."
- "You are a life saving light in the darkness of a cave full of people who need you."
- "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." —Philippians 4:13
- "I am praying that God grant you the wisdom to know what is right and the strength to do it."
- "God knows how you feel and will take care of you because He loves you."
- Bible Verse Condolences
Messages for Any Occasion
- Keep me in mind and know that you can call me anytime you need anything or if you just want someone to talk to.
- Your actions have proved that you are not the type of person who gives up easily. I admire that in you.
- I understand that you have a burden to carry on your own, but remember that if you would like help to bear the weight, I am here to help.
- I appreciate all the hard work you put in on a regular basis. I just want you to know that at least one person has noticed.
- Your humility is inspiring to those who are watching your success.
- The initiative you show in your work is outstanding.
- I believe this is one moment you will look back on with pride, even though it seems so difficult now.
- Your spirit has the energy, strength, and stamina of 10,000 horses.
- Keep up the good work. I am rooting for you.
- I don't think I tell you often enough how grateful I am for all that you do for me.
- When times get tough, I know I can count on you.
- Thank you for having the courage and dedication to stay the course when most people would probably give up.
- I want you to know that I am thinking of you and wishing you the best.
- You are an amazing person whom I am blessed to know.
- Sometimes when we face challenges, we can't see all the good that is coming from our work until after we're done. Unfortunately, our work is never complete, so there is much good that we cannot see.
- Keep doing the great work that you are doing.
- Thanks for all that you have done and continue to do.
Message for After an Illness or Injury
- May your knowledge that I care about you comfort and assure you that you are not alone.
- I am sorry you are not feeling your best. I am thinking of you and wishing you a quick recovery.
- I am praying for you to have peace about your health concerns, strength to recover quickly, and comfort for your pain.
- Being under the weather when the weather is really nice out is no good. I'm sorry you are missing out.
- I believe God allows suffering to provide people an opportunity to show grace and compassion while comforting those who suffer. Expect me to take this opportunity to comfort you.
- "The pleasure of success feels best after experiencing the pain of failure."
- "Inspiration can only be borrowed from others. Permanent inspiration requires perseverance."
- "The most difficult challenges reap the greatest rewards."
- "Even the mighty oak starts as a small acorn."
- "Patience makes time your most powerful asset."
- "It's not the things that we can't control that will define our success."
Create Your Own Message
Writing your own message of encouragement is not too difficult if you know the right words to use. Here are 15 words you can use including nouns, verbs, and adjectives. Mix and match these words and add something personal create a relevant message of encouragement.
Words of Encouragement