Father's Day Card Messages for Dads, Stepdads, and Grandfathers
Are you wondering what to write in a Father's Day card? Figuring out a special message for your dad or husband can be a challenge, but with a little help, it will be easy. Usually, the toughest part of writing a greeting card message is getting started. After that, it comes out naturally.
Many of the Father's Day cards you find in stores make fun of the stereotypes of dads, which gives you an opportunity to show your dad how unique and cool he is. Make your Father's Day message sincere or funny. Use any of these examples for your card; combine or change them as you need to make them fit the dad who will receive your gift of words.
Father's Day Messages
These are written in a conversational tone. This creates a more personal feel than messages that start with "may you..." Just act like your dad is sitting next to you. Whatever you would say out loud will sound the most natural.
- You took your job of father seriously, and that included making me laugh as often as possible.
- I like having a dad who can be smart, funny, and strong. You can handle any situation with your Swiss Army knife of skills.
- I can't imagine what my life would be like without you in my life. I know it would have been much more difficult.
- I am grateful for the opportunity to be your son/daughter. You enrich my life, and I owe much of my character to you.
- Dad, you have been a provider for me all of my life. Thank you for giving me everything I needed and a lot more.
- You have been a great role model. I look up to you and think of you when I need to make a tough decision. Thank you for teaching me how to be wise.
- Thanks for acting like a kid when I was a kid, acting like a friend when I needed a friend and acting like a parent when I needed one. You have played many roles for me.
- The older I get the more I realize how important it is to have a dad like you. You have provided stability in my life and the love and acceptance I needed.
- Dad, I enjoy spending time with you. I am glad I have a dad who is cool enough to hang out with me. Thanks for all the great times we've had together.
- Dad, I can’t imagine what life would have been like growing up without you. Thanks for being a great dad!
Funny Father's Day Wishes
Use these funny Father's Day messages for your dad if he has a good sense of humor. Keep in mind, though, the funniest messages are usually personal and specific to the person.
- You're still my favorite dad!
- You used to let me win when we played games because I was little. Don't expect me to let you win just because you are getting old. I'm competitive.
- Some people say that dads just sit around watching TV and drinking beer, but I know you guys do a lot more. I know you also like to go fishing, watch sports, fix the car.
- Has anyone ever made you realize how much of your life you gave up just to raise a kid? It doesn't seem like you ever had any authority for making wise decisions.
- My therapist told me most of my problems come from how you treated me when I was a kid. Don't worry. I took off my belt and spanked him for disrespecting an authority figure.
- I think I figured out that moms are there to make sure we survive our first few years of life. And we have dads to make sure we survive the rest of our tough life.
- The scariest time in my childhood was when mom would say, "Wait until your father comes home." The few hours of worry were definitely worse than your punishment.
It is appropriate for mothers to acknowledge the father of their children on Father's day. These are some examples of things to write in his card.
- You have been a blessing to me and our children. Thank you for showing our kids what a father should be.
- Thank you for being my partner in our war against our children's shenanigans. It has taken our powers combined to keep them alive, well and fed. I couldn't have done it alone.
- You're not just a superhero to the kids, you are to me, too. Happy Father's Day!
- Thank you for providing for our family, making life fun, and allowing me to be able to say, "Just wait until your father comes home."
- I had fun making the kids with you. We make a good team. Thanks for everything.
- You are exactly the father that our children needed. I'm glad to have you as much as I know they are glad to have you. We are blessed!
Stepdads are not blood relatives, but they are important and do matter. Father's Day is a great time to honor a stepfather for his role in your life. If you have a great stepdad, then you can use one of these examples of what to write in his Father's Day card:
- I hope you realize how much of a blessing you are as my step dad. Happy Father's Day!
- You deserve to have a nice Father's Day. You deserve it because you're my stepdad!
- I appreciate having you as my stepdad because I learn a lot from you.
- If there was a Stepfather's Day, then I'd wish you a happy one. Since there isn't one, you'll just have to have a happy Father's Day!
- The cool thing about stepdads is that they choose to be a dad after meeting their step children.
- I can't think of a better guy to have as my stepdad. Thanks for being so cool!
Grandfathers are sometimes forgotten on Father's day. Remember to send you wishes to yours if you're lucky enough to still have him around. As a father to your own parent, his parental influence reaches you indirectly. As a grandparent, he directly enriches your life. Honor his past and present role.
- Thank you for the legacy that passed on to your future generations. It's not only your children who benefit from having you as a father. I wouldn't be what I am without your influence.
- You have been like a second father to me. I appreciate getting your perspective on life because you have a lot of stories, wisdom, and humor to share.
- I know there is already a Grandparent's day to celebrate grandparents. I thought you'd like to know that I appreciate your role as a father as well.
- I am lucky to have such a close relationship with my grandfather. I am thankful for my father, but you enrich my life beyond what a father can provide.
- As the patriarch of the family, you carry weight on your shoulders. I am confident that you can handle it. Thank you for being a great example of fatherhood and grandfatherhood!
The Importance of Fathers
Before you write in your Father's Day card, take a moment to think about the impact fathers make on their children's lives. These large and small details show the many reasons we have to thank our dads for being dads. Below, you'll find the statistics that show what a huge difference a dad makes in your life. You have plenty to thank your dad for this Father's Day.
Children from fatherless homes are:
4.6 times more likely to commit suicide,
- 6.6 times more likely to become teenage mothers
- 24.3 times more likely to run away,
- 15.3 times more likely to have behavioral disorders,
- 6.3 times more likely to be in state-operated institutions,
- 10.8 times more likely to commit rape,
- 6.6 times more likely to drop out of school,
- 15.3 times more likely to end up in prison while a teenager.
This data comes from fathersforlife.org.
How do you rate your father?
If you were to give your dad a grade, what grade would he earn.See results without voting
More by this Author
Words have the power to tear down or build people up. Use these words of encouragement to help someone who needs a little inspiration. These are encouraging quotes.
These examples of anniversary wishes can help you determine what to write in an anniversary card. Celebrate love together with written words that are meaningful, delightful, inspiring, or funny.
Use these thank you card messages to help you with wording for your card. Expressing your gratitude and saying thanks can be difficult. Edit these to fit your situation.