Graduation Messages, Greetings, and Sayings: What to Write in a Card
A graduation is a momentous event that deserves a congratulatory message that fits the occasion, but these messages can be difficult to write—especially once you get past the "congratulations" part. It's likely that the graduate will go through his or her cards very quickly, throwing away the majority of them immediately after removing the money enclosed. This may put your mind at ease some.
Use the examples below to help you figure out exactly what to write in your card. Change the message examples to fit you and the graduate, and have some fun with it. Graduation is a fun time, so your message should be fun, too. If you prefer more serious wishes, examples of sincere messages are also provided below. These will work as high school or college graduation wishes.
General Graduation Congratulations Messages
Say congratulations to a new grad with these graduation wishes:
- Congratulations graduate! We wish you the best of luck in the future.
- You did it! Now it's all over. Or it's all beginning, depending on how you look at it.
- You get a piece of paper, but it means so much more than that. I hope you feel proud of your accomplishments.
- All your hard work is done, you have graduated. Well, maybe all your hard work isn't over just yet. Congratulations and good luck!
- Education is the key to unlocking your potential. The diploma helps a little, too.
- Your graduation proves all of your hard work and determination.
- I hope you continue to be blessed as your abilities continue to grow.
- I knew you could do it, and I am proud of you.
- I am confident you will continue to succeed in life. Keep up the good work.
- You did it: now it's time to celebrate!
- I wish you many more successes in the future. Congratulations, graduate!
- You have not only graduated from high school, you have graduated into adulthood. Wishing you the best things in your future to come.
- Today proves something we have always known about you: you're pretty smart.
- I am wishing you a great sense of accomplishment as you celebrate your hard work.
- Success is yours! You did it! Way to go!
- Continue to learn as a life learner, and you'll graduate life successfully.
Funny Graduation Messages
- Don't worry! I'm still smarter than you, and you will still get advice from me all the time.
- Graduation day is the happiest day for a student. It's also the scariest day.
- I guess I have to stop calling you an idiot now that you've graduated. Don't worry though. I'm smart enough to come up with plenty of other names to call you.
- Sometimes people who are trying to make a profession out of going to school accidentally graduate. Oops!
- I had a nightmare last night. I graduated with your major and had to try to get a job.
- Miracles do happen! You have proven that anything is possible, even if it doesn't seem very likely.
- Isn't it amazing how far people can go now that Google and Wikipedia are around to help you with your studies?
- I'm not going to congratulate you because I know the harsh reality that comes after graduation. I offer my sympathy instead.
- You did it! You finally graduated. It's about time.
- Now that you've graduated, maybe you're smart enough to figure out how to pay back your student loans.
- If you thought school was tough, you're right, it's all a piece of cake from here.
- All that hard work for a piece of paper? Congratulations on getting your piece of paper.
- I am sure you feel much smarter now that you have graduated. Just last week you weren't a graduate, so you must have gotten much smarter.
- What now? That is the question.
- Congratulations on getting your degree. Maybe you will make enough now to pay back your student loans before you die.
- You get to wear a funny hat. All your hard work has paid off, and the hat is yours. Congratulations.
- Just think: now you get to add some initials after your name.
- Write me a 50-page essay analyzing the value of a diploma versus the value of a good education. That's your first assignment as a graduate.
- I don't know about you, but when I see diplomas, I start imagining dollar signs. Congratulations on getting all that money... I mean, your diploma.
You will find many sayings you can use in a graduation card message, but the following are especially cool. Use these sayings to spice up your message in a simple yet meaningful way.
- "Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten." –B.F. Skinner
- "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance!" –Andy McIntyre
- "Life is my college. May I graduate well, and earn some honors!" –Louisa May Alcott
- "The important thing is not to stop questioning." –Albert Einstein
- "The man who graduates today and stops learning tomorrow is uneducated the day after." –Newton D. Baker
- "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." –Nelson Mandela
- "The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet." –Aristotle
- "Education is the key to unlock the golden door of freedom." –George Washington Carver
- "An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." –Benjamin Franklin
- "The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows." –Sydney J. Harris
- "A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad." –Theodore Roosevelt
- "Education is learning what you didn't even know you didn't know." –Daniel J. Boorstin
- "Education is all a matter of building bridges." –Ralph Ellison
Tips for Writing Graduation Card Messages
- Stay positive. Give the graduate a feeling of hope, even if the job outlook isn't so hot. Don't rain on the parade.
- Be concise. After opening the 30th graduation card, it is likely that the over-educated graduate will be skimming the messages and plucking out the money and gift cards. Make your point quickly, unless you have something extremely clever or heartfelt to say.
- Be original. This is a general rule of thumb for any greeting card message. Unfortunately, you are reading this because your originality needs a jumpstart. Never mind, just copy something from the internet.
- Be careful with the jokes. For example, if you are going to make some joke about how much money it costs to go through school, it's a good idea to put a few bucks in the card. This will make the joke a lot more fun.
- Include a piece of advice. If you can think of something helpful, a little advice goes a long way. If you need a little inspiration, watch the video below.