Oyewole Folarin loves writing greeting-card messages and helping others find the words they need for life's special moments.
Congratulating a friend on their newfound parenthood with a note or card is a thoughtful gesture, but it can be difficult to know exactly what to write (especially if you are not a parent yourself). Use the ideas in this article to help you craft a sincere message of congratulations for a friend, coworker, or family member who has recently had a baby. You can use the examples below as-is, combine and adapt them to fit the recipient's situation, or simply read over them for inspiration before writing your own original note.
Handwritten cards tend to be the most appreciated, but if the person you are congratulating is more of a colleague or acquaintance than a close friend, you can also send or share one of these parenthood messages via text/SMS, email, Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, Instagram, or any other social networking site. Now, let's take a look at some heartwarming ways to congratulate someone on the birth of their new baby!
What to Write in a Card for New Parents
- A child is a gift from the universe. I'm so excited to watch you lead by example and show your child what it means to be an awesome person. May the joy of parenthood bring even more happiness into your life!
- Congratulations on the monumental achievement! Don't be too strict with the little one—I'm sure your actions alone will serve as a shining example for them. I'm so excited to watch you love and care for [name] over the next few decades. They are so adorable!
- Please accept my sincerest congratulations on the safe arrival of your baby. Raising a child comes with great responsibility, but don't worry—I'm sure you're cut out for it. Happy parenthood! You're gonna do great.
- As parents, it is our responsibility to nurture and protect our children but also to give them the freedom to be creative and seek joy in whatever way comes naturally to them. Congratulations and enjoy parenting!
- Parenting is fun! Never deprive your child of play and always keep an eye on them when they're trying to show off! Congrats on your little champ!
- Between feeding, napping, and diapers, babies are very difficult to please. My kids are six and eight now, and the struggle to please them continues. I wish you good luck and happy parenting!
- I'm so happy for you! I know you'll be a fantastic example for your little one and that when they grow up, they'll be a better person for it. Congratulations on the arrival of your newborn. Don't forget to cherish these moments—[name] will be a teenager before you know it!
- Show love and care to your child, and you'll undoubtedly find peace, hope, and success in your parenthood. I can't think of two better people to bring a new life into this world. Congratulations on the birth of your baby!
Your children need your presence more than your presents.
— Jesse Jackson
More Congratulations and Well-Wishes for Parenthood
- It is a thing of joy to join you in celebrating the safe arrival of your baby. As parents, we have the opportunity to be a far greater influence in this world. Enjoy parenting!
- Care for your children, but don't forget to let them care for you as well! Our children teach us so much, and that is the true joy of parenthood. I wish you and yours good health and happiness today and in the formative years to come!
- Even at this early stage, your moral values begin to become instilled in your child, which is why I am confident that [name] will grow up to be an amazing person. Be mindful of what you do in children's presence because as they are watching you, they are also learning from you. Congratulations on the birth of your baby!
- Raising a stellar kid that will grow to be an amazing asset to your family and society at large requires a lot of sacrifice. I know you are ready for this rewarding and life-changing experience. Congratulations on the arrival of your baby!
- Looks like you've just been given the most important assignment of your life! Make sure you take good care of your child and enjoy every minute of it. Congratulations and happy parenting!
- May you find joy in your new role as a parent, leader, and guardian. Congratulations on the birth of your baby!
Your children will become what you are; so be what you want them to be.
— David Bly
Sample Baby Shower Card Messages
- During this important new phase of your life, be prepared to sacrifice your time, effort, and sleep. It's not all bad, though! Your child will light up your world. Congratulations and enjoy parenting!
- It was such a joy to spend the afternoon with you at your baby shower ceremony. All of our love and best wishes are with you and your new child. Congratulations on [name's] arrival!
- Part of the joy of growing up is being blessed with a newborn baby to look after. Here’s wishing you good health, happiness, and beautiful memories as your child grows and thrives in your care.
- Congratulations on your child’s birth! I hope they bring a new source of joy and pride to your life. Happy parenting!
- The upbringing a child receives can have a great impact on what they become in the future. I know you will teach your child to be kind, tolerant, just, and righteous in their deeds. Congratulations on the arrival of your new baby!
- It is no small feat to give birth to a baby. Congratulations on the arrival of your new bundle of joy!
The most important thing that parents can teach their children is how to get along without them.
— Frank A. Clark
Additional Messages for the Arrival of a Newborn Baby
- Don’t rely on games and toys alone—remember that time spent with your children is of the utmost importance in parenthood. Here's wishing you strength, courage, and health in the years ahead. Congratulations!
- A parent's number one priority is their child. Be sure to show them your love and care as often as you can. They will make you so happy!
- The best advice I can give you as a parent is this: be sure to spend as much time as possible with your child before doing anything else after coming back home from work. Childhood is precious and you don't want to miss out on a minute of it! Congratulations and happy parenting.
- One of the most delightful things about taking care of a newborn is that every time you feed them, they smile up at you. Congratulations, and may your baby live to see the brightest of days!
- Welcome to this new phase of your life! Take some time off, cherish the new life you've brought into the world, and enjoy parenting!
Don’t worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you.
— Robert Fulghum
Religious Wishes for the Parents of a New Baby
- May God help you show love to your child from the beginning of their journey until the end of yours. I wish you success in parenthood!
- May God give you sustenance without measure as you expand your family. It takes a lot of patience to raise a child, but the joy that accompanies it is immense. May God bless you and your family as you embark on this exciting journey!
- Parenthood requires immense amounts of time and attention daily, but with the Lord in your corner, you are sure to be successful. Congratulations and happy parenting!
- May God grant you and your baby years of good health, and may He remain by your side as you navigate parenthood with joy and abundance. Congratulations!
- May God give you the strength, patience, and wisdom to raise your new bundle of joy confidently! Accept my warm wishes on the birth of your baby.
- Your baby is a special gift from God. May your journey be blessed and may your child live a long and healthy life in His image. Congratulations and happy parenthood!
- Congratulations on the birth of your precious new child. May God’s light, guidance, and protection be upon you today and in the days to come as you embark on the exciting journey of parenthood.
- Teach your child the way of the Lord, and they shall thrive in your care. Congratulations on the safe arrival of your baby!
- I give glory to the almighty God for blessing you with a healthy pregnancy and a safe delivery. I continue to pray for strength, abundance, and happiness for you and your baby. Congratulations!
- Never see your child as a burden. Remember that there are many people who are still asking God for such a favor but have yet to receive it. It is now your primary duty to spend as much time with your baby as possible and show them love and affection often. Congratulations!
- May the Lord—who took care of you and who brought you forth from your mother’s womb—continue to bless your life and the life of your child as you continue on the path of righteousness.
© 2016 Oyewole Folarin
Mel Carriere from San Diego California on August 07, 2016:
Great suggestions. These things should be obvious to everyone, but unfortunately are not.