Oyewole Folarin loves writing greeting-card messages and helping others find the words they need for life's special moments.
What Do You Say to Your Favorite Teacher or Professor When They Retire?
What do you write in a retirement card for a teacher? How do you congratulate someone on their retirement? Figuring out what to say to a teacher who has played an important role in your (or your child's) life can be a challenge. It can be time-consuming to find just the right words to express your gratitude and appreciation.
Say "Thank You" in a Unique and Memorable Way
Teachers work very hard to teach us the skills we need to realize our full potential in life. When they retire, we can acknowledge their dedication by wishing them all the best in their future endeavors and thanking them for their years of hard work, time, and effort. You can include funny retirement quotes and sayings in your note or letter to make it stand out from the hundreds of cards your teacher will receive. A unique, personalized message is something they'll remember forever!
To get ideas on what to say or write, here are some sample messages. If you like, you can also send some of these short retirement wishes via text/SMS, email, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any of the social networking sites.
Sample Retirement Card Messages From Students
- The knowledge you have shared with me is priceless, and I will remember your valuable lessons for the rest of my life. Congratulations on your retirement!
- [School/College] won't be the same without a teacher like you. Here's to a retirement that is filled with lots of fun and happiness. Goodbye, and thank you for being my mentor!
- We appreciate the time and effort that you've put into the teaching profession for [number] years. We join the members of the staff in wishing you a blissful retirement!
- Thanks so much for going above and beyond and bringing out the best in us. We promise that we will remember the lessons you've taught us and pass them on to the next generation. Congratulations on your retirement!
- If it weren't for your knowledge and teaching experience, we wouldn't have been nearly as successful in [school/college]. May God's endless blessings be upon you today and always. Goodbye!
- Words cannot describe how blessed we are for being among your students. We will truly miss your teaching skills! We wish you good health and lots of fun in retirement!
- You have made a huge difference in our lives, and you will remain forever in our hearts. Lots of love and best wishes to our retiring teacher and mentor.
- I am inspired by your vision and motivation, and I am so glad that I met a teacher like you in [school/college]. I wish you nothing but the best in the next stage of your life.
- Thank you for helping me learn how to attain my goals and overcome any difficulties that come my way. Congratulations on your retirement!
Things You Can Say When Someone Retires
- It's time to celebrate your exemplary years of service. Congratulations on your retirement!
- Best wishes to a friend, a mentor, and a leader. Congratulations on your retirement!
- Retirement is the end of one phase of life and the beginning of a new, exciting chapter. Congratulations!
- I wish you a wonderful retirement filled with lots of fun and happiness.
- I wish you a happy retirement filled with joy, goodness, and prosperity.
- You are a friend, a colleague, a leader, and a mentor. I wish you lots of fun and happiness! Happy retirement!
- I wish you good health and long life. I’ll miss you.
- I wish you good luck and pray that your future endeavors will be filled with abundant blessings—more than you can ever imagine. Have a blissful retirement!
- May all your dreams and wishes come true! I wish you a happy retirement.
- Wishing you all the best because you deserve it. Please accept my hearty congratulations on your retirement!
- Happy retirement! Thank you for inspiring me to always strive for the best and for helping me reach the top of the class. I wish you a blissful future.
- Please accept my retirement well-wishes as you move to the next exciting stage of your life.
- Relax and enjoy life to the fullest. I wish you all the best!
- I wish you a happy retirement! Enjoy the rest of your life without any stress or pressure from work!
Read More From Holidappy
Sample Messages for a Mentor Who Is Retiring From Work
- Dear [mentor's name], we commend your leadership style, dedication, and hard work. We pray that God will continue to bless and guide you through the years ahead. Congratulations on your retirement!
- Thank you for all your years of unselfish service to our great country and for leading by example. May you continue to find success wherever you go. We wish you a very happy retirement. You're an awesome mentor!
- Many people think that talented teachers like you are hard to find. I'm so grateful that I had a wonderful mentor like you. You've been my role model ever since I started [school/college], and for that I'm thankful. I hope your retirement is happy and fulfilling!
- You groomed us to become skilled professionals and made learning in this great [school/college] an interesting and memorable experience. I wish you a happy retirement!
- As you begin a new chapter in your life, I pray that God helps you discover new opportunities and strengths. Congratulations on your retirement!
- We appreciate God for His love, compassion, and grace upon your life. We'll think of you often, and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
- Happy retirement! I wish you all the best, my leader, mentor, motivator, and role model.
- We're so glad to celebrate your retirement party with you! Congratulations on your retirement!
- Happy retirement! You've always been good to me, and you set an outstanding example for all mankind. I wish you nothing but the best.
- You have always been an outstanding and visionary teacher who dedicated [his/her] life to the service of our great country. Happy retirement to our remarkable mentor!
- We laud your many achievements and years of hard work. Congratulations on your retirement!
- As you mark another important event in the journey of your life, we wish you the most rewarding retirement ever.
More Nice Things to Say to a Retiring Teacher or Mentor
- We salute you for your outstanding performance, and we hope to emulate it someday. We wish you good health and long life. Congratulations on your retirement! We’ll miss you.
- We celebrate and share in your joy as you retire from work. You have been a fountain of inspiration for us. For your tenacity, drive, and exemplary leadership qualities, we salute you. Congratulations on your retirement!
- Today, we celebrate you, we appreciate you, we treasure you, and we remain grateful to you for being a good mentor to us. Here’s to lots of fun and happiness in the years ahead.
- It’s indeed a great pleasure to share this special time with you. You are a tower of strength and knowledge. If the world had more people like you, it would be a much better place. We are who we are today thanks to your efforts as a teammate and a leader. Goodbye, and we hope to see you again!
- Thank you for the knowledge that you have shared with me. I admire your ambition! Thank you for being there for me. I will miss your kind words. Goodbye!
- The knowledge that you have shared with us is a treasure that will remain forever in our hearts, and we promise to pass it on to our children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. May God grant you all your wishes as you retire from work!
- You are a blessing to this generation. May this new chapter in your life usher in long life, good health, and wisdom! Happy retirement!
- You have been an inspiration. As a teacher, your skills have been exemplary. As a leader, your achievements have been remarkable. We wish you a happy retirement!
- We appreciate the good example you have set for us. May God in His infinite mercy grant you good health to continue your wonderful work! Happy retirement!
- We respect and admire your accomplishments, and we are proud to be associated with an industrious colleague like you. Have a blissful retirement!
- I hope that your retirement is full of fun and happiness and everything that you enjoy. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.
- Happy retirement to a motivator, a tutor, and a quintessential role model.
- Through your God-fearing nature and your exemplary achievements, you have created an enduring path for us to follow. Congratulations on your retirement!
- Thank you so much for your altruism, guidance, and useful advice. Here’s to a joyous retirement!
- Accomplished, inspiring, inventive, productive, cheerful, generous, industrious, devoted, thoughtful, and proactive are a few adjectives I'd use to describe you. Thanks for your years of hard work and dedication. Congratulations on your retirement!
Funny and Inspirational Quotes for a Retired Person
- "When a man retires, his wife gets twice the husband but only half the income." ―Chi Chi Rodriguez
- "As in all successful ventures, the foundation of a good retirement is planning." ―Earl Nightingale
- "Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had the time before to notice the beauty of my grandkids, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself." ―Hartman Jule
- "A retired husband is often a wife's full-time job." ―Ella Harris
- "Retirement means no pressure, no stress, no heartache . . . unless you play golf." ―Gene Perret
- "I'm not just retiring from the company, I'm also retiring from my stress, my commute, my alarm clock, and my iron." ―Hartman Jule
- “Retire from work, but not from life." ―M.K. Soni
- "Retirement is wonderful. It's doing nothing without worrying about getting caught at it." ―Gene Perret
- "There is a whole new kind of life ahead, full of experiences just waiting to happen. Some call it retirement. I call it bliss." ―Betty Sullivan
- "I'm retired—goodbye tension, hello pension." ―Anonymous
How to Write a Retirement Card
Follow the six steps below if you're having trouble figuring out what to write in a retirement card:
- Start with a personal greeting—for example, “Dear [teacher or professor’s name],”
- Describe your feelings about the retiree and the memories you've shared together.
- Acknowledge the retiree's dedication and contributions to the teaching profession.
- Thank them, and also wish them a blissful and rewarding life.
- Add a closing statement—for example, “Congratulations on your retirement," “Happy retirement,” or “Best wishes for a joyous retirement."
- Add your name at the bottom.
© 2014 Oyewole Folarin