Blake started out scribbling in cards over 30 years ago. Though his handwriting is mostly unchanged, the content has improved.
Christmas and New Year Greetings
This list is meant to give you ideas that will inspire you to write your own holiday greeting messages. As many know, holiday greeting messages can be difficult to write, especially if you want to be unique and creative. Your card will be compared to other holiday cards being sent by friends, family, and business acquaintances throughout the season, so you want it to be good.
In the spirit of the holidays and the end of the year, these examples focus on being thankful, giving good cheer, and wishing for a bright future. Holiday cards are the perfect place to reflect, encourage, thank, and send warm wishes.
Use the examples and tips below when writing your next Christmas card masterpiece.
What to Write in a Christmas Card
Christmas is a time to think about what you’re grateful for. And if you're Christian, that means Jesus Christ.
Christmas cards are sent out annually with the intention of sending a special holiday message to family, friends, coworkers, employees, and clients. The reasons for sending cards are numerous, but they always tell someone you are thinking of them. They can be especially fun because you can send a gift or update those you have not been in contact with about your life. You may want add a photo of your family.
Example Holiday Card Messages
- Wishing you an abundance of friends, happiness, and fun this holiday season.
- We should live every day like it is a holiday and be thankful, spend time with family, and look hopefully toward the future.
- Hoping you are surrounded by love and warmth this holiday season. Merry Christmas.
- Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- We wish you health, comfort, and prosperity this holiday season. Season's Greetings!
- May your home be filled with the joy of family and friends this holiday season.
- Your presence is the best present you could give me this holiday season. Happy holidays!
- May your home be filled with peace and joy this holiday season.
As this year comes to a close, I am thinking of all the blessings of I have received. I am also grateful for the important people I have met, including you. No one knows what this next year has in store, but I'm hoping for good things for the both of us.
Funny Christmas Card Messages
- Santa was laid off this year. Good thing we have a stimulus package under the Christmas tree.
- Energy and environmental experts predict that, at current consumption rates, Santa will run out of sustainable coal for stockings by 2020. Stop being so naughty!
- I bought you a car for Christmas this year… I meant card. Oops, did I say car?
- I bought this envelope for you and they threw in the Christmas card for free.
- I would tell you, “Merry Christmas,” but I don’t think it would work out between you two.
- Did you know Santa has dyslexia? He often spells his name, "Satan."
- Too bad we can’t show each other the same Christian love on the road and in department stores the way we do during Christmas time.
- He knows when you are sleeping … He knows when you’re awake … He knows when you’ve been bad or good … He knows how much you make … He's the government.
- It's ironic that as we gain weight during the holidays, our wallets lose it.
- Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year's resolution failure.
- What do you get when you take away all the hassle of shopping during Christmas time? A holy day. Happy holidays!
- If you divorce Christmas using the Santa Clause, Christmas becomes X-mas. Then you can marry Holly Day!
- Wishing you a holiday season filled with stress, cold, and anger. Hey, at least I'm being realistic.
- Sorry kids, Santa died. But the good news is now you can listen to Santana songs instead.
- I think the holidays were created to punish those who have been naughty. I must be on the naughty list every year, cause I feel punished.
- I have an idea, let's make a day every year when people are pressured to be kind, generous, happy, and patient. Oh wait, that's already been done. Merry Christmas!
- Santa is just proof that fat dudes are the jolliest. Have a jolly Christmas!
Religious Christmas Card Messages
- Merry Christmas. Praise God! Jesus has been born.
- Great things come in small packages. God’s gift of baby Jesus was the greatest gift in the history of the world.
- Today is just another day we should thank God for sending Jesus to teach us how to love each other and give us hope and salvation.
- We hope you feel the love of Jesus Christ this holiday season, who is the true reason for our celebration.
- Christ’s birth has changed everything. Be joyous as you celebrate this holiday season.
- The reason we give is because Jesus gives to us. The reason we love is because Jesus loves us. The reason we celebrate is because Jesus gives us a reason to celebrate.
- The best way to celebrate Jesus is to think of what the world would be like without Him, and rejoice that He was born.
- Christmas is Independence Day for sinners.
- Praise God. There is hope for the gentiles. Christ is born.
- This is the most important birthday celebrated each year.
- The best gift ever given was the original Christmas gift of Jesus Christ–God’s gift that keeps on giving.
- Share the love of Jesus this Christmas season.
- Your love for others reminds me of the love Christ has for all.
- May God bless you and your family this Christmas season.
- Jesus is the gift of Christmas.
- Every day we have the gift of Christ's love. Merry Christmas.
- May the love of Christ provide you and your household with peace this Christmas.
Holiday Message Tips
- Think about your reader. Don't write something funny if you can't imagine that the person understanding the joke, and don't write something Christian if the person does not believe in God or is part of a different religion.
- Use the word "Christmas" when referring to the holiday if you celebrate Christ's birth. If you work for a company that won't allow the word "Christmas," use the word "holiday" instead.
- Get your cards sent at least two weeks in advance. If you are late, change the date to the next year and be the first Christmas card sender of the new year.
© 2009 Blake Flannery
HALIDU BEGE NIGERIA on December 20, 2013:
Christmas is the gentlest, loveliest festival of the revolving year - and yet,
for all that, when it speaks, its voice has strong authority.
Deya Writes on December 06, 2013:
Haha, I really liked the "I bought you a car for Christmas this year… I meant CARD. Oops, did I say car?"
Prince micheal Asunmo on December 31, 2011:
Wish all my friend in house happy new years
Tunji on December 31, 2011:
Good of you
Ankit Kumar on December 29, 2011:
Merry Christmas to all!
Ajinkya on December 25, 2011:
Merry cChristmas to everyone!!!
Wisdom hogan on December 25, 2011:
Hapi x-mas 2 all my palz..wishing u all d very best of d season.1 luv
harsh on December 25, 2011:
merry Christmas to you and your family
Landarling on December 24, 2011:
Peace nd luv 2 u all ,show luv 2 evry1 .merry christmas nd hapi new year
yen mina on December 24, 2011:
merry chrismas to all, no battle, no poverty,everyone stay peacefully,more earnings to meet the expenses.. , fast grow economic
emmanuel henry on December 24, 2011:
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY FRIENDS AROUND THE WORLD I LOVE U ALL AND I WILL ALWAYS DO AS LONG AS MY God LIV EARTH...
ritu on December 23, 2011:
Alicizy on December 23, 2011:
Merry christmas 2 all ma loved ones nd family nd 2 all d@ i dont know.... Wishin evry1 a prosperous new year in advance. Plenty love!
paulo on December 22, 2011:
merry christmas to all especially to my wife and prosperous new year
misua on December 22, 2011:
merry christmas to everyone. especially to my loveydovey and kids...u guys are the meaning of christmas..
lhou on December 22, 2011:
Merry Christmas to ALL & blessed New Year!!!
ella on December 20, 2011:
happly holidays to all the ppl i dont know!!
lourde on December 18, 2011:
MARRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY FAMILY AND FRINDS AND DONT FORGET THE "LIL BABIES" HOPE U HAVE A GRAET NEW YEARS :)
baben on December 15, 2011:
merry xmas all over the world!
mommy on December 12, 2011:
merry christmas to everyone!!
Manoi kt on December 09, 2011:
Happy cristmas in all world
Bob on December 03, 2011:
Here is a funny.
Merry Christmas. We hope your Christmas is as good as ours!
ELoiSE on October 17, 2011:
Here's a good one: Anyone who believes that men are the equal of women has never seen a man trying to wrap a christmas pressie!
Nicole on December 14, 2010:
I love the funny ones. I am terrible at thinking of things to put in my cards -- Christmas or other wise. Thank you. I will be using some of these this holiday season! Happy Holidays to all!
Eastern Rainbow on December 09, 2009:
hello i'm you newest fan. hope you fan me too
PearTreeGreetings from Rexburg, ID on December 07, 2009:
These are fun, terrific messages your readers can include on their holiday cards. I’ve known people who have knocked themselves out creating their own Christmas photo cards, but freeze up when they’re ready to write a personalized note in each one. Even your tips show a great sense of humor. Thanks for sharing!
Legacy Wellness from Katy, Texas on November 09, 2009:
Great Hub. Really good advice. I am the absolute world's worst at sending cards on time!