How to Write Thank You Notes for Doctors and Nurses
How to Say Thank You to Doctors and Nurses
Did they make you feel comfortable in their hands? Did they save your (or your family member’s) life? Did you find their professional services helpful? Did they provide excellent nursing care? Did they prescribe medication to relieve your pain? Did they make your surgery bearable? Did they handle your mental health disorder with a high level of professionalism? Did they respect your dignity? Are you pleased with the results of their treatment?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then that simply shows you how meticulous, empathetic, and compassionate they are. Therefore, it is important we try as hard as possible to commend them for a job well done.
Doctors, nurses, and other hospital staff who made an extraordinary difference in your (or your family member’s) life deserve a thank you note or personalized, handwritten card that can and will make them feel honored and appreciated.
The best way to express gratitude to a nurse or doctor for their time, effort, hard work, professionalism, and excellent care is to send a thank you note and let them know how their medical services or advice really made you feel.
Here are few things you should have in mind if you are in the process of writing a thank you card or letter of appreciation to a doctor or nurse who has provided quality medical care to you, or a friend or family member.
How to Write a Thank You Card
The opening of a card is often where most people get stumped about what to write. Follow the six steps below to help guide your thoughts about what to write in a thank you card:
1. Start your note with a personal greeting. For example: “Dear [recipient’s name],”
2. The next line should clearly state what you are thanking them for. For example:
- “Thank you so much for quickly stabilizing my blood pressure when I was going through a difficult time.”
- "Thank you so much for your early diagnosis and treatment."
- “I’m exceedingly satisfied with your professionalism and commitment to excellent nursing care.”
- “I’m so impressed with the results of my knee surgery.”
- “I’d like to thank you for the excellent care and treatment I received at your clinic.”
- “I wanted to write to say thank you for making me feel better in such a short period of time.”
3. The third line should briefly describe your feelings. Here, let them know how their services made you feel. For example:
- “My physical and mental well-being has significantly improved, and I would like you to know that I’m now back on my feet.”
- “You made my well-being your primary focus and I was always satisfied with the care you provided.”
- “Although I’ve yet to completely recover from my illness, I just wanted you to know that I’m seeing great improvement.”
- “The medications are helpful and I’d like to tell you that my pain is now a thing of the past. Thank you for being so kind and caring.”
- “If it weren’t for your early diagnosis and intensive care, I wouldn’t have bounced back to my usual self by now.”
- “The medical services I received from you during my stay in your hospital were exceptional. I felt at home throughout the whole recovery process.”
- “This is just a quick note to let you know that the medications you prescribed are providing great relief.”
- “Your hard work does not go unnoticed. Thank you for helping me to quickly get over my illness.”
- “I’m extremely pleased with the top-notch care I received from you.”
- “It feels so good to no longer be confined to sick-bed that kept me away from my family and friends for almost two months.”
4. Restate your gratitude. For example:
- “Thank you for everything you do.”
- “Thank you for being so compassionate.”
- “Thanks again for everything.”
- “I’m proud to have an amazing personal physician like you in my life.”
- “I’m so blessed to have you.”
- “I’m so grateful.”
5. Close the card with any of these phrases:
- “Yours truly,”
- “Warm regards,” or
6. Sign your name.
Messages for Doctors
- Thank you so much for making me feel happy and healthy at every stage of my life. You have no idea how great you make me feel. You are a wonderful surgeon who truly cares.
- Thank you for standing by me during this trying time in my life. I’d like to let you know that my physical and mental conditions have remarkably improved since the surgery. I’m so grateful for your excellent care.
- Thank you for keeping our hope alive during this stressful time when I had lost all hope of getting pregnant. Words are not enough to express my happiness and gratitude. You are such a reliable and respected obstetrician.
- Thank you so much for being extra careful about my health condition and general well-being. Throughout my stay at your clinic, I had no doubt I was in competent and caring hands. Thank you again for providing excellent care to every person admitted to your fertility center. You’re truly the best!
- Thank you for making a big difference in my life. You’re really a rare oncologist! I’m lucky to have met you.
- Thank you so much for being a positive influence on my life in so many ways. I’m seeing great improvement in my physical and emotional well-being. I would like you to know that I’m very pleased with the outcome of my surgery.
Messages for Nurses
- I just wanted to say thank you for your making my treatment bearable. The positive impact you had on my life when I was admitted to your clinic is immeasurable. Thank you for everything that you did to treat me. You’re truly an extraordinary nurse!
- I was extremely lucky to have such caring nursing home staff standing by me when I was ill. You made visiting and staying in the hospital as enjoyable as possible. Thank you so much for always putting your patients first.
- Thank you for your excellent care. When it comes to answering questions, giving emotional support, and giving medical advice, you are the best. Thank you again for keeping me in your thoughts.
- Thank you so much for paying such close attention to my health. I’ll always be grateful for having someone like you close to me. You are awesome!
- Thank you for being a caring nurse. You are truly the best!
- I cannot thank you enough for always keeping my family members informed of the status of my health. Thank you for everything you did to keep me alive.
- Thank you so much for supporting and comforting my family members whenever they were at your hospital. I’ll never forget the above-and-beyond follow-up service that we received from you.
- Thank you so much for giving my mother-in-law the excellent nursing care she deserved. She had a wonderful experience in your nursing home.
Thank You Letter Examples
Thank you for your patience, professionalism, hard work, and commitment to excellent medical care. The medications you prescribed are helpful, and I’m seeing great improvement in my physical and emotional stability. You are such an amazing [doctor/nurse]. Thank you so much for positively impacting my life in so many ways.
[Your full name]
I wanted to let you know that all your doctors and nurses are reliable, respected, caring, and friendly. If it weren’t for the amazing care I received and the proper medical decisions that were made when I was seriously ill, I wouldn’t have regained consciousness by now. You are one in a million. Thank you for being kind and caring while I was ill, not only to me but to my friends and family members, as well. Thank you again for everything you did to resolve my health issues in a timely manner.
[Your full name]
© 2018 Oyewole Folarin