Love Notes for Your Spouse and Secret Hiding Place Ideas
Hidden love notes are an easy way to show your loved one that you are thinking about them by bringing a surprise to their heart and smile to their face at unexpected times. If you are looking for a way to spice up your romantic life and show your spouse you love them, leaving love notes tucked into inconspicuous places should do the trick.
Any small pad of paper will do, but if you want your spouse to recognize your notes, you may want to have them all the same color, or design. When I started leaving notes for my husband, I found a 5 by 7-inch notebook at Walmart. The pages were lined and were four different colors. I write the notes and then fold them in half, then in half again. If I have a very small area I want to hide it in, the note gets folded one more time. It's important to write the note, and fold it up rather small, so it can be hidden easily. Make sure to write your spouse's name on the front of the note so that he/she will realize that it is meant for them. Otherwise, they make think it's just a scrap of paper and not even bother to pick it up and read it.
The following is a list of ideas for small love notes that you can leave in various places where your spouse will find them. Love notes can be as short or as long as you want them to be. The key is to find places that your spouse goes to on a regular basis, to make sure they will be found sooner rather than later.
At our house, I have started putting dates on my notes to see how long it takes my husband to find them. We laugh if it takes months for him to find them. No matter how long it takes him to find each note, they bring us closer together when he does. No matter what the message, you can always sign off with an "I Love You" or a "Love," Your Name. Sometimes my husband finds them again and loves to show me notes he re-finds from a few years ago.
Classic Messages of Love
- You mean more to me than anyone.
- I love you more than... (fill in the blank with something they know you love!)
- Thank you for all you do for me.
- Thank you for all you do for the kids.
- You're a great mother to our children, and I love you more for it.
- You're a great father to our children, and I love you more for it.
- I love our life together.
- You make me very happy.
- Not only do I love you, but I really like you a lot, too!
- Thanks for supporting my dreams.
- Thanks for loving me even when I'm not that lovable.
- You're my best friend.
- You're the love of my life, and I'm so grateful to have found you.
- You are a blessing to my life.
- Your love nourishes me.
- Snuggling with you is one of my favorite pastimes.
- Thank you for being a blessing to my children. (This works if it's a second marriage as well as a first.)
Secret Places to Hide Love Notes
- Desk drawer
- Clothing drawer
- Inside the checkbook (if the other person writes the bills)
- Purse or wallet
- Lunch bag
- CD collection
- Magazine or book that they are currently reading
- Bathroom drawer
- Linen closet
- Where the pet food is kept (for the person who feeds the pets)
- In a bag of birdseed
- Clothing or jacket pockets
- In the hamper
- Under the laundry detergent
- Mixed in with the mail
- Computer bag or briefcase
- Under the computer mouse
- In a drawer that they frequently use
- In the refrigerator under their favorite food/drink
- Under a pillow
- Hidden in the leaves of a plant (if they water the plants)
- Inside gardening gloves or work gloves
- Inside a pair of boots or shoes
- Inside gloves or mittens
- Paper clipped to a newspaper
Special Messages and Where to Hide Them
- Your scent drives me wild. (under a perfume bottle or aftershave)
- I love your scent . . . perfume or natural. (under a perfume bottle or aftershave)
- I'd walk a mile barefoot to spend time with you. (in a shoe)
- Your smile lights my heart. (attach with tape to a tube of toothpaste)
- I don't need food when I have your love. (under or in a type of food they love . . . cereal box, under a can of soup, etc.)
- These are sweet, but your love is sweeter. (in a cookie package)
- Your love means more to me than money. (in a wallet)
- Let's have some pillow talk tonight. (on or under a pillow)
- I hope my love keeps you as warm as this jacket. (in a coat pocket)
- You are the sunshine of MY life. (under or near sunglasses)
- You can drive me anywhere, but you always drive me wild. (in a car)
- You sock it to me with your love. (sock drawer)
- You always look beautiful/handsome to me. (attach to a mirror)
- We make beautiful music together. (hidden on a piano under cover of the keys, in an instrument case, inside music books)
- You're the most beautiful photograph I could take. (inside a camera case)
- You fished for my love and caught me hook, line and sinker. ( in a fishing tackle box)
- I love you more than my favorite ice cream. (in the freezer)
- You light my fire. (in a wood holder next to the fireplace, or where ever you keep matches)
- Let's heat things up tonight. (same as above)
Love Letters of Famous People
There are books that have been published that contain love letters of famous people throughout history. Sometimes borrowing lines from these letters, or poems will add a little spice to a marriage. Knowing that a spouse went to all the trouble to look this information up, and write it down as a sharing of similar sentiments should make the receiving spouse feel even more loved.
Love notes are an easy way to add a bit of romance to your marriage. And writing them only takes a little bit of time and effort. If you decide to start leaving a few love notes around the house, please leave a comment below at some point in the future if your spouse appreciates them. And especially if it brightens your life together.
It is now 2017, and my husband just showed me a love note he found in an old pair of shoes he was donating to Goodwill. Because I put dates in my notes, we both got a good laugh at the date. It was from 2011! Apparently, he didn't wear those shoes much! Nice to know that even six years later, love notes can still bring a smile to your loved ones face!
Love Notes Poll
Do your write love notes to your significant other?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2013 Karen Hellier