Card Greetings and Gift Ideas for a Stepmom on Mother's Day
In the weeks leading up to Mother's Day, card shops, drug stores, and super markets start to fill up with chocolates, greeting cards, and other fun goodies for all the dedicated moms out there who do so much for their kids.
But what about stepmoms? Where do they fit in? Should you give a card to your stepmother that just says Happy Mother's Day? How you choose to acknowledge your stepmom depends on the relationship you have with her, how often you see her, and how long she has been in your life.
The most important thing, though, is that you do acknowledge your stepmother's role in your life, whether you choose to do so on one special day of the year or on many different occasions.
If you want to create a one-of-a-kind greeting card for your stepmom, you could buy a pretty blank card and fill it with your own special greeting. You could also make a handmade card and write something similar to any one of these greetings. Whatever you choose to write in your card, make sure it comes from the heart. You can't go wrong with words that are written with sincerity, honesty, respect, and gratitude.
Happy Mother's Day to Stepmom
Here are a few example messages to help you create your own message:
- You spend all of your time looking after our blended family, but today is your day! Sit back, relax, and let us take care of you! Happy Mother's Day!
- Thank you for being a part of my life. You are a good friend and a great stepmom! I hope you have a fabulous day full of all the things you bring into our lives: joy, laughter, good food, and great friendship!
- I am lucky that you are my stepmom. Thank you for making my dad happy and our home warm and welcoming!
- I want you to know how much I appreciate you. You give so much to our blended family and you do it all with such patience.
- I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day, stepmom! Thank you for everything you do to make our home a happy home! I am thinking of you today.
- It's Mother's Day and I want you to know how much I appreciate all the motherly love and affection you have given me over the years. Thanks for being such an awesome stepmom!
As part of a blended family, it's possible that you may not be able to spend Mother's Day with your stepmom. You can still make any day after or before Mother's Day extra special. If you are looking for creative ways to spend a special day with your stepmom, why not try a few of these ideas:
- If the weather is nice, prepare a picnic lunch and head to the park for a relaxing meal outside.
- Take you stepmother to a spa and get manicures or pedicures together.
- Help your stepmom finish some gardening or Do-It-Yourself/ Handyman projects she's been working on.
- Go for high tea at a fancy hotel or charming cafe.
- Attend a fun workshop on a topic you'd never have thought of exploring on your own. Go to clown school! Learn how to make homemade soap. Try your hand at indoor mountain climbing. Having a fun adventure with your stepmother is a great way to strengthen the bonds between you.
- A gift basket filled with natural spa products, cruelty-free cosmetics, or healthy, organic snacks makes a unique, eco-friendly gift. They can be ordered online, or you can do a little bit of research and assemble your own basket. (Just make sure you don't give your stepmom a basket filled with cleaning products. Unless she is crazy about cleaning her house, your best bet is to stay away from gifts that require extra work. Mother's Day is about relaxing and your stepmom would most likely appreciate day off!)
- An origami paper flower bouquet will last longer than fresh cut flowers. Plus, you can write special messages for your stepmother on the flower petals or leaves. For instructions on how to make an origami flower bouquet, check out the video below!
What do you call your stepmother?
Breakfast in bed is a Mother's Day classic. You can try making a special brunch or breakfast for your stepmom, or you can plan a grand meal for everyone in the family, with your stepmother as the guest of honor. If you don't know what to make, these cooking tutorials may provide some inspiration!
The most important thing about wishing your stepmother a Happy Mother's Day is that you put some thought into the gift you choose for her. When you write something in her Mother's Day card, write something that let's her know you appreciate her and want to thank her for being a part of your life.
© 2014 Sadie Holloway