Retirement Messages to Write in a Card
Sending your retirement wishes is a good way to honor hard work. The best messages acknowledge accomplishments, use a little humor, and wish the retiree a great future.
Even with great intentions and efforts, retirement messages can be difficult to write for a co-worker. If you have to remain in the workforce yourself, you might find that you feel envious when someone retires. Don't let your envy prevent you from wishing a retiree a happy retirement. Keep in mind all the time they invested at work to achieve this goal.
Below you will find a collection of examples that can be written in a retirement card or used in a speech. Customize these for the retiree you know.
Retirement Congratulations Messages
- Enjoy your new status as a retiree! It's the last time you'll need to start a new job.
- Don't forget to spend a little of your extra time with us. We're so happy for you!
- I have to be honest with you. I'm a little jealous.
- Time to relax and do whatever you want! Congratulations!
- It's great to see someone retire who is as deserving as you. Make sure you work just as hard at relaxing as you have in your long career.
- Your career has earned you money over the years, but now you get to cash in on all the time you've earned. Spend it well.
- I am happy to see you retire at just the perfect time. Actually, any time is the perfect time to retire.
- You are one of the hardest workers I have ever known. You deserve a great retirement, but I know you will still keep yourself busy.
- This is the beginning of the rest of your life and the rest of your life. Congratulations on your retirement.
- Best wishes for an awesome retirement. Keep working hard, but be your own boss.
- Just as your work has been long and satisfying, we wish you a long and satisfying retirement.
- Congratulations on your retirement! If you get bored, you know you can call and hang out with us.
- We'll miss you. You are one of a kind and not easily replaced.
- You will remembered for the things that you did here. Thanks for your years of hard work and dedication. Congratulations on your retirement.
- We're glad that you are retiring, and we are looking forward to spending more time with you. Best wishes.
- Retirement is the working person's wish come true. Here's to finally getting your wishes granted!
- You can be taken out of the workforce, but the work force can never be taken out of you. I am confident you'll never stop working on things you love to do.
- To stay balanced in life, work like you're retired and retire like it's your job.
- If you found happiness or fulfillment in the workforce, then it's likely you'll do the same now that even more possibilities are open to you.
Funny Retirement Wishes
- It's time to take some time off!
- God retired after just 6 days of creating the heavens and the earth. What took you so long?
- Now you get a new boss who knows about your true work ethic, organizational skills, and excuses. Spouses make the toughest bosses. Good luck!
- There are all sorts of things that you will have to learn how to do off the clock now, like making coffee.
- You're used to multitasking. Whatever you did, you were making money at the same time. Now you will be able to focus on one important thing: keeping your money.
- Best wishes in your retirement. Here's to watching your grandkids instead of the bottom line.
- No one ever stops working, they just get a new boss. Your boss lives in your own house. Good luck getting time off.
- Don't worry about having enough money to retire. You only need a lot of money if you plan on living a long time.
- Think about the thousands or even millions you have earned over the years in your career, then ask yourself why you weren't able to retire much earlier.
- If we could all have the same attitude you've had these last days before retirement, we'd all be a lot less stressed at work. Nothing would get done around here either, but that's not the point.
- Your new job is to ensure that you enjoy your retirement. The hours are flexible, and you have complete autonomy.
- Re-tiring is when you replace old tires with new tires. Isn't that more like what your employer is doing?
- You can put new tires on an old car. That's what you are doing now, 'retiring.'
Sometimes it is appropriate to use a quote in a card. This can add humor or depth to your words.
- "Sooner or later I'm going to die, but I'm not going to retire." –Margaret Mead
- "A retired husband is often a wife's full-time job." –Ella Harris
- "Don't simply retire from something; have something to retire to." –Harry Emerson Frosdick
Message Writing Tips
Use these tips to help guide your thoughts about what to write in a retirement card:
- Consider the person's situation: If the person really loved their job, then he or she might really miss work in retirement. It's okay to acknowledge that.
- Make your retirement message original: They will get a hundred messages like, "Best wishes on your retirement." Give your words a little more thought.
- Be careful with the humor: If you've ever worked any job, you know that some coworkers have a sense of humor and others are just grumpy. It's the same with retirees, although you are more likely to get away with humor now that the work is over.
- Acknowledge hard work: Let the retiree know that you realize how much he or she worked and contributed to the company or to society.
- Wish the retiree a great retirement: It seems obvious, but you might forget to send happy retirement wishes. Close your message with something like, "Best wishes for a long and happy retirement."
What's the toughest part of writing a retirement card message?See results without voting
More by this Author
Words have the power to tear down or build people up. Use these words of encouragement to help someone who needs a little inspiration. These are encouraging quotes.
Use these thank you card messages to help you with wording for your card. Expressing your gratitude and saying thanks can be difficult. Edit these to fit your situation.
Use these examples of baby congratulations messages to help you figure out what to write to the new or expecting parents. Pregnancy congratulations wording is also included.
No comments yet.