Blake started out scribbling in cards over 30 years ago. Though his handwriting is mostly unchanged, the content has improved.
The messages below are meant to inspire you to create your own perfectly tailored anniversary card. Some are worded for a couple, and others are worded for a spouse or significant other. Some are funny, some are inspirational, and some are simply congratulatory.
Think about who you are writing to and decide which of the following types of messages will work best. Tap into your own feelings and experiences and compose something special.
Time with you is my most precious resource. Our anniversaries remind me to be grateful about our past and hopeful for our future as we enjoy the present. Thank you for your time and your love.
What to Write in an Anniversary Card for a Couple
If you are not part of the couple having an anniversary, your message doesn't need to be quite as sentimental, but it is a good idea to include something specific about the couple if possible. This will make your card memorable. Here are some ideas to get you started in writing your own special message to a couple:
- You two are an inspiration to those who are lucky to know you.
- Every year brings you closer to a lifetime together.
- Here's to two imperfect pieces that fit together perfectly.
- Thanks for being a couple of role models of marriage. Happy anniversary!
- We're hoping you two are blessed with many more years together.
- Happy anniversary to a couple of people who probably shouldn't have gotten married, but somehow have still managed to make it work all these years.
- Congratulations on another anniversary that proves that you are blessed with each other.
- I am happy to know two amazing people who have been together for an amazing amount of time. That's you two!
- What an awesome thing it is to be together for so long. Congratulations!
- Knowing you two are together brings me comfort and hope.
Here's an example message from parents to their kid. This is a real message and is so cool it needs to be included in this collection:
- The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Remember, all fences have a purpose. Good fences protect what is yours and remind you of what is another's. Build such fences together and repair them promptly when needed. Love, Mom and Dad
Anniversary Wishes for a Significant Other
Use these as a good start, and add something specific and personal to make it really great.
- Happy anniversary to the person I want by my side for whatever may come our way, for the rest of our lives.
- A year seems like a day when I'm with you. So it seems like we've been together for __ days, and everything with you is always shiny and new.
- You are truly a blessing from God. Thank you for being my partner, spouse, lover, and friend.
- No one else would understand our relationship, and no one else in this world would understand me the way you do. Thank you for sharing this life with me.
- One day a year to recognize 364 other days of putting up with me doesn't seem fair. Thank you for your unending kindness and patience.
- This proverb describes the truth for us today: He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord (18:22).
- The longer we're married, the more I realize that I got the good end of the deal.
- Time flies when you are having fun, and it has been a blast being your (wife/husband).
- We've both grown together through these years. I am looking forward to maturing even more with you.
- Anniversaries come and go, but you and your love has been and will be constant.
- I still can't think of any reasons you would put up with me all these years. I'll try again next year.
- Thank you for the love that you show me regularly. You are generous with your time, energy, and forgiveness.
- I am insufficient at expressing myself with my words. I want to thank you for loving me anyway.
- You have made me a better person by loving me for who I am. Happy anniversary!
- I like our anniversaries, especially since I get to celebrate with you!
- I'm looking forward to loving you another year.
- The years seem to be going faster and faster. I think that's because I am having more and more fun with you.
- It's fun to look back on all the events and changes we have experienced together, but it isn't as fun as thinking about our future together.
Anniversary Wishes for Your Husband
Let your husband know how much you respect and cherish him. Anything you can say in your anniversary card to build him up and acknowledge his commitment will work nicely. These are examples to get you started:
- You are tough at the right times and sensitive in the right ways. Thank you for being my rock.
- Even though we don't always agree, I always feel loved. I respect you deeply.
- No one has been through all that we have been through together. I appreciate your steadfast commitment and perseverance.
- You know me better than anyone else in the world, and you love me more than anyone else in the world. You are simply amazing!
- When I try to imagine a perfect husband, I visualize you. I guess we've been together so long my judgment is no longer objective.
Anniversary Messages for Your Wife
Let your wife know how much you love her with a sincere anniversary message from your heart. Use these to get ideas and make your message extra special:
- I wish we had gotten married earlier, just so that I could be married a little longer to such an amazing wife.
- I still can't believe I have you as my wife, but I must say I'm used to being spoiled.
- Having a wife like you is a dream come true. I am glad that I have stayed asleep for so long.
- You deserve a great husband. Thanks for giving me a chance, even though I'm not perfect.
- I know it isn't always an easy job to be my wife, and I appreciate your patience and commitment.
Funny Things to Write in an Anniversary Card
- Each anniversary, it gets a little easier for me to accept the fact that you will be stuck with me for the rest of my life.
- Today we celebrate your most difficult accomplishment, staying married to me all these years.
- If I had to choose to do it all over again, I would marry you again... I'm not so sure about having the kids, though.
- Happy anniversary! Now if I can just remember your birthday this year, I'll be in good shape.
- I can't imagine where I'd be without you... I'd probably be dead.
- No matter what happens, I know that I can depend on you. Maybe that's why I do so many stupid things. Happy anniversary!
- God proved his sense of humor when he matched us. He also proved he's a genius.
- Good thing you are better at forgiving me than I am for making your life difficult. Happy belated anniversary! Will you forgive me again?
- We've been together so long I can't remember how to wash my socks from my bachelor years. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever did know how to wash my socks.
- I was going to get you an anniversary card, but I thought it more fitting that I get you a sympathy card for our anniversary. Misery loves company.
- It's that magical time of the year again. Oh wait, it isn't Christmas. It's just our anniversary.
- The best part of being married to you is that I know you won't testify against me if I'm ever on trial. I wouldn't testify against you either, even if you killed me.
Words to Use in an Anniversary Card
Famous Quotes About Marriage
These are some nice quotes related to anniversaries. Use these quotes as a way to spice up a personal message and make it more memorable. If credit is not given, then assume that the originator of the quote is unknown. None of these are original to me.
- "Life is better with your best friend, that's why I married mine!"
- "Being in a long marriage is a little bit like that nice cup of coffee every morning. I might have it every day, but I still enjoy it." –Stephan Gaines
- "The first 50 years of marriage are always the hardest."
- "Marriage is getting to have a sleepover with your best friend, every single night of the week." –Christie Cook
- "A great marriage is not when the 'perfect couple' come together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences." –Dave Meurer
- "I've fallen in love many times. Always with you."
- "I adore you, you crazy, gorgeous, wonderful (but also sometimes quite weird, but still very lovely) person."
- "There is no pretending, I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then."
- "A successful marriage isn't the union of two perfect people. It's that of two imperfect people who have learned the value of forgiveness and grace." –Darlene Schacht
- "The perfect relationship is never actually perfect. It's just the one where both people never give up."
- "Sexiness wears thin after a while and beauty fades, but to be married to a man who makes you laugh every day, ah, now that's a real treat." –Joanne Woodward
- "The ultimate purpose of marriage is not to make us happy, but to glorify God." –Nancy Leigh DeMoss
- "Falling in love is easy, but staying in love is very special." –Anonymous
Shivam awasthi on May 30, 2018:
SHEELA on May 13, 2018:
HOW TO WRITE FOR FIRST ANNIVERSARY OF MY JOB FROM YOUR SUPPORT
suman magar on April 10, 2018:
how to write the 5th marrige aniversary
Prof Attorney Fajobi Ibukun Oluwumi; PhD. on April 06, 2018:
Fascinating and excruciating webpage for the loved ones globally....Oops!
Kamal on March 28, 2018:
15 years of marriage and still going strong with lots of love and a happy family been thru lot of up and down but Jesus brought us thru amen
Elaine on June 26, 2017:
our daughter met and fell in love with her husband in England, but after a short life together he had to go back to America. Having a long distance relationship for two years he asked her to marry him in 2016, after all the stress and heartache of being apart and only seeing each other when ever they can and organising a wedding from the UK they were married in City hall San Francisco in August 2017. After only having a week for their honeymoon they had a long process of getting him accepted by the immigration for him to come over here to live and be with her. Finally with many tears much happiness he was accepted and he arrived in March 2017. Their 1st anniversary is on the 22nd August this year.
Hope I haven't gone on too much about there love story, but hoping you could help me put something together in their card which reflects what has taken place in their past 3years.
my e-mail is........... email@example.com
Barbara Abbott on January 02, 2017:
Hi there, thanks for sharing this important article and recently on my friends anniversary she got a hand stamped bracelet as a gift from her husband, which was elegant and couple name stamped on it which was amazing and her husband suggested me http://annbijoux.com for more hand crafted jewelry which can be the best thing to show love and care for your dear ones.
molson on November 10, 2016:
25+ years of marriage and the last year has been a real struggle with careers, empty nest and mistrust. Anniversary is coming up and we are working to save everything and not let a bad few months ruin 25+ GREAT years.
Blake Flannery (author) from United States on August 04, 2015:
How about something like...
You and I have been through a lot over the last 3 years. Each struggle has taught us about ourselves and ultimately strengthened our relationship. I know our time together is really only just beginning. I thank God for giving me these last 3 years with you, and I look forward to what He has in store for us in the future.
Teresa on August 03, 2015:
My boyfriend and I have been together 3yrs today. This relationship has had alot of mistrust mainly on his behalf. We have been very distant/tolerable with each other. Been literally to Hell and back the last 2 yrs. He was love at first sight for me. His name is David. But despite all of that we're still together . I tell him,"God gave me you,(a song by Blake Shelton).
Blake Flannery (author) from United States on April 12, 2015:
If you want some specific help with what to write in your anniversary card, leave some details here in the comments section. The visitors to this page and I will give you custom help. Make sure to tell us about the couple and a vague idea of what you want to say in your message.