Blake started out scribbling in cards over 30 years ago. Though his handwriting is mostly unchanged, the content has improved.
When someone does something nice for you, being thankful is the easy part. Expressing thanks is not always so simple. Though difficult, writing a great thank you note is a win-win. The gesture communicates what you think and how you feel. And hopefully, the recipient will feel as good as you do about their generosity. This may lead to more generosity.
Thank you notes are better when written in a personal way with well-expressed thoughts and feelings. Use these sample thank you messages on this page to express your gratitude.
Example Thank You Card Messages
- Only someone with great taste could get me such a cool gift. Your generosity is as great as your sense of style.
- I think you know me better than I know myself. Your gift was exactly what I wanted, even though I didn't know I wanted it.
- I couldn't find a card that expressed my gratitude the way I wanted. I need a card that gives you a big hug.
- If you could see my face right now, you'd see a look of gratitude.
- You made a difference because you are so caring and thoughtful.
- I am grateful for you and your generosity.
- Words can't express the gratitude I feel when I think about what you have done. I'll just say thanks.
- You are truly a blessing in my life. I am not sure what I would do without you. Thanks for all you do.
- Taking the time to help me was a very nice thing for you to do. I know that you are a person who sacrifices for others without thinking. Thank you.
You must be psychic because you got me exactly what I wanted!
- The longer I am around you, the more I realize that you are a genuinely generous and caring person.
- I don't know if I should thank you or whoever made you such a nice person.
- I don't think I could find a more thoughtful, generous person.
- You are so generous, I know you'd give me the shirt off your back if I asked. Good thing I'm not asking.
- You deserve a bigger thank you than this card. I will remember what you did.
- I consider you a gift from God, so I guess I should send Him a thank you card. I know His address, but could you tell me how much postage I'll need?
- You have been extremely supportive through this difficult time. You may not realize what a blessing you have been. Thanks for your help.
- You have encouraged me during a time when I needed encouragement. Thank you.
- That was a really cool way to surprise me. I really like the way you set everything up and made it an awesome time.
- Thank you for thinking of me and taking the time to be kind. You have a great heart.
- I appreciate the timing of your help. You helped right when I needed it most.
Funny Thank You Messages
Being funny in a thank you card is appropriate as long as you don't take for granted what the person did or gave you.
- They say that giving to others can improve your mood and outlook on life. In that case, I think you owe me a thank you for accepting your generosity.
- Whoever said "It is better to give than receive" surely never met you.
- If I could pay you back in imaginary money, you'd be the richest person in the imaginary world.
- It's beginning to look like we have a relationships that is 'give and take.' In this case, you're doing most of the giving.
- I have a complaint. You treat me so well, I'm having a tough time finding something to complain about.
- I think I'm going to have to file bankruptcy, because there's no way I'll ever be able to repay you.
- If I got you a thank you card to match the size of your generosity, it wouldn't fit in your mail box.
How to Thank Someone for a Gift
These are examples to help when someone gave you a gift.
- Do you have limits to your generosity? All I can say is, wow!
- I don't know anything else to say except thank you.
- You must be reading my mind, because you got me exactly what I wanted. I guess I don't have to actually say thanks since you can read my mind.
- Your generosity and your investment of time has been a blessing. Thanks!
- You are thoughtful and generous in your gift-giving. You picked a perfect gift for me.
- I appreciate your generosity. You are one of the most generous people I know.
- Only someone who knows me as well as you do would know to get me __. Thanks for knowing me. I'm thankful for knowing you.
- You gave me an awesome gift that I will thoroughly enjoy.
- I love my new ____. You really picked out a great gift.
- Thanks for being thoughtful. Your gift means a lot to me.
- How did you know what I didn't even know I wanted? Thank you!
Read More From Holidappy
Words of Gratitude
What to Include in Your Message: Thank You Card Tips
These are some general tips for a thank you card. None of these things are necessarily must-have items, but you can choose the parts that fit your situation:
- Mention your feelings. This is not to be confused with your thoughts. Feelings include words like: surprised, delighted, elated, overwhelmed, etc.
- Mention your thoughts. Sometimes it's nice to explain how you will use the gift or specific things you like about what was done or given to you.
- Think of a creative way to compliment the person. Saying "I don't know how you are so amazing at giving gifts" sounds better than "The gift is perfect."
- Speak to the importance of your relationship. Talk about how important the person is in your life, not just what they did or gave you.
- Offer to do something nice or give the person in return. In some cultures, it is customary to give a gift when a gift is given. You don't necessarily have to give anything to the other person, but it's o.k. to offer to take someone out to dinner who has just taken you out to dinner.
- Use humor. Inside jokes work well, as long as you are staying positive about what you are thanking the person for.
- Match the amount of writing to the size of the gift or service. If the person gave you a nice present, then a card will do. If the person made large sacrifices and went above and beyond, then you may want to write a thank you letter.
Who Should You Thank?
Throughout your life, you'll encounter many people who deserve a thank you. Sometimes people will do or give things in a formal way. This will happen when tied to an occasion, such as a baby shower. Other times people will do things unexpectedly, such as helping you fix your car when it has broken down.
Regardless of the formality, the following are a few people who you'll probably end up thanking throughout your life.
- Family members
- Pastors or Ministers
You get the idea that just about anyone can deserve a thank you. The question is not just who deserves thanks but more about when to send a thank you note.
When Should You Write a Thank You Note?
As a rule of thumb, thank you cards and letters should be sent as soon as possible. If you are thanking people for attending a large celebration event such as a wedding, the typical time frame for the thanks is one month from the event.
Here are some occasions that warrant a thank you letter or card:
- After receiving a gift
- After someone does a favor for you
- After a job interview
- When a teacher Inspires you
- After a party has been thrown for you
- When a profitable business deal is made
- When medical staff take great care of you
- When you're feeling blessed by a friendship
Some people think that if they don't get their thank you card sent in a certain window of time, then they should just forget it. This is not true. You can always send a thank you card late. Although not ideal, late is better than never.
It's always the right time to show gratitude for things others have done. Most people don't expect to be thanked for wedding or graduation gifts until at least a month or so after the event. This gives you plenty of time to write something personal or funny in your thank you card.
What Not to Write in a Thank You Note
Just in case you don't know what not to do, here are some examples to distinguish a bad message:
- I spent as much time writing this thank you as you did choosing a gift for me.
- The gift you sent wasn't exactly my taste" or "I am glad I was able to take it back for a refund.
- I know you were just trying to help, even though it ended up making everything more difficult for me.
- I almost forgot to send a thank you card because I forgot what your gift was.
- Thanks for nothing.
Leave Your Own Thank You Message Example
Kat Marvin on July 21, 2020:
Thank you very much for helping us, really I have been so puzzled. Am happy of this, God bless you
Frontliners on April 11, 2020:
alex campbell on January 25, 2020:
thank you for teacher
shirley doherty on July 14, 2019:
Do you have other subjects for wording help other than "Thank You" suggestions?
Melanie on June 13, 2018:
I need help thanking 2 store clerks. They paid for extra gasoline for me when I only had $2.00. I didn't know til I got back to pump. I was overwhelmed by the gesture. I think I cried all the way home. I'm a regular customer
but don't know them very well. I never ask for money from anyone. I'm just having a tough time and I guess they picked up on it. I want to thank them but don't know what to say. Ideas? Many thanks!!!!
Nelly on January 16, 2018:
Want to write a thank you note to someone helped long time ago with job ,and loose the job willing to thank him and ask for more favour.
Sally on December 25, 2017:
Niki Bechus on January 02, 2017:
Was looking for words to write expressing my gratitude to a very generous & wonderful woman. I found exactly what I needed plus how to go about doing it on your site. Excellent info & advice, many thanks to you...
Hiya from India on March 01, 2015:
an awesome collection, thank you so much.
Blake Flannery (author) from United States on October 11, 2014:
I love your thank you message!
kk23#45 on October 10, 2014:
this hleped me sooooooooooooo much this web site is the bom .com !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Julia Rexford on September 15, 2014:
This list is a cool idea; I often lack for things to write in my thank you cards! Thanks for putting this together.