30 Thank You Messages for Father Figures
There’s a time for everything. There’s a time to poll the fatherless and record their social and emotional ills, and a time to discuss ways to help them survive the odds. There is also a time to say “thank you” to the men who actually stand in the gap and help the children succeed.
Countless men, many unnoticed, consider fathering a part of their daily duty; and many people whose lives they touched reaped lifetime benefits from their counsel. Some shared more than counsel: time, money, skills and even their names with children who were not biologically theirs. The following messages are for them.
Feel free to copy any message and complete it with “Thank you. I love you” or something similar. Send a message not only on Father's Day, but whenever their good deeds come to mind.
(I) Beginning at Home
(for the man who helped to raise another man’s child)
- My definition of father is “the man who loves and cares for me.” That’s you—always!
- Among the wisest choices my mother made, was her choice of you to share our lives.
- Your picture on my wall is in the place where my father’s should be; and in my heart, you fit the spot perfectly!
- Blood ties are great. Heart ties are greater. What we have is by far, the greatest!
- Some father-child bonds are only human. Supernatural bonds, like ours, are only divine.
- Yours were my father’s arms, the day you walked me down the aisle, and every time before and after when you lent them to me.
- I wanted you to be my father since the first time I saw you and my mother look at each other. You have been an instrument of joy in our lives.
- You awakened my sense of belonging when you gave me your name. You gave me a sense of purpose when you introduced me as your child.
- God knew that if He’d let me choose my father, I’d choose you. So He brought us in together in circumstances I’d relive any day, for the reward of being your child.
- I got my first three wishes: a home, a father, a future. I have just one more wish: that I could show you how much I appreciate them.
(II) By the Way
(for the authority figure who loved and nurtured incidentally)
- Whenever my lips say “Coach” my heart says “Daddy.”(Replace “Coach” with “Pastor” or “Uncle” or “Godfather” or whatever is appropriate.)
- That day when you first put your hand on my shoulder, you put a permanent smile on my heart.
- When I count my blessings, I begin with you, walking into my classroom and into my life.
- When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw that you cared, and I wanted to be everything that I could be. - Mary Rita Schilke Korazan
- I thought that patience, politeness and pardon were masculine nouns. They were so much a part of you.
- Given all the abuse in the news, it gives me great honor to declare that you treated us girls with sensitivity and dignity.
- I'm still growing because of the three Rs you taught me: reading, reasoning and responsibility.
- Road trips with you were the best part of my life; they took me from boredom to bravery.
- You never taught me the meaning of integrity; you simply lived it.
- You inspired me not to waste energy being ashamed of who my father became, but to spend my focus on becoming who God designed me to be.
(III) Above and Beyond
(for the mentor who sacrificed to make positive changes)
- Mentors like you are God-sent! Before you, there was nothing good to remember; since you, so much good have filled my dreams.
- You showed me the road to walk on; then you left footprints for me to walk in.
- You were my light when I lost my way; “Sure you can make it” you used to say. For years I followed your caring voice and finally learned the power of choice.
- The adult I have become grew out of the struggles you helped me overcome.
- For the Lord corrects those he loves, just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights (Proverbs 3:12). Now in hindsight, I appreciate that you valued me as much as you did your own child.
- Eating at your family table was like finding love in a dish. Both my stomach and my heart were nourished.
- My sanity stabilized when we spent time together. You were my stress-reliever.
- Whenever I have a tough decision to make, I visualize you standing beside me. I repeat my options while looking at your face and choose the one that makes you smile. It never fails.
- You're the single most influential person in my life; you taught me to pray, to persevere and to prosper.
- Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise (Proverbs 13:20). It is the greatest compliment when someone tells me how obvious it is that I learned from you.
The Father Figure Poll
Have you had at least one outstanding father figure in your life?
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Dora Weithers