Oyewole Folarin loves writing greeting-card messages and helping others find the words they need for life's special moments.
What to Write in a Thank You Note or Card
Life can throw a person many ups and downs over the course of their life. You likely have a particular person or a group of people who listen and provide insight to help you navigate rough patches and big decisions. When they invest so much in you, a thank you may be in order to express appreciation for their time and care.
If you're brainstorming ways to show gratitude to a counselor, one great idea is to send them a heartfelt handwritten note. Although writing a personal message can seem like a daunting task, you can use this basic formula to help you get started:
- A personal greeting
- What you are grateful for
- How much you appreciate their care and guidance
- The difference they made in your life
If you still don’t know the words to write, I've provided a few notes, messages, quotes, and sayings you can use to get started!
Types of Counselors
Sample Messages for Short Thank You Notes
If you want your message short and sweet, you can use general phrases such as:
- Thank you very much. I really appreciated your help with this decision.
- Your advice and guidance helped me think through my situation. Thank you!
- Thank you for your kind words. I'm so grateful you're in my life!
- Thank you for your wonderful advice.
- I really appreciate your advice and encouragement.
- I’m so grateful for your suggestions and will take them to heart.
- I'm thankful for your words of wisdom.
- Please accept my heartfelt appreciation for your support during this time.
- Thank you for your encouragement during this difficult time.
- Your advice and care helped ease my pain. Thank you for caring!
- I found your advice very helpful and appreciate your time!
- Thank you for your time and attention.
- No words can express how thankful I am for your suggestion. It was a huge help!
- I appreciate you taking your time and energy to help me with this.
- I wanted to say thank you for helping me quit my substance addiction.
- Thank you for helping me find happiness.
- Thanks for spending time with me. I know you're busy, and your care means the world to me.
- Words cannot express my gratitude for your help in saving my marriage.
- Thank you for reviewing my curriculum vitae. Whatever happens, I appreciate the work you put in to help!
- Thank you for your professionalism and care in this matter.
- I appreciate your friendly presence and kind assistance in addressing my issue.
- Thank you for your compassionate heart and concern.
- Thank you for taking time to understand the root of my problems.
- I’m so touched by your thoughtful attention. Thank you for your help!
- Thank you for being a friendly counselor who cares for everyone you work with!
- I'm so grateful for your careful attention to this matter.
- I appreciate everything you've done to help me quit my substance addiction.
- I really appreciate your kind help throughout this process.
- Thank you so much for your guidance.
- I wanted to say a heartfelt thank you for your motivation and support!
- Your concern and love mean so much to me.
- Thanks for your wonderful counseling.
- I appreciate your passion to help me fight my addiction.
- I’m grateful for your time and encouragement.
- I cannot thank you enough for your professional care and assistance.
- Thank you for helping me reach my full potential.
- Thank you for helping me respond to and manage my grief.
- Thank you for going above and beyond what I asked of you!
- Thanks for being friendly and reliable. I'm thankful you're in my life.
- Your care and advice helped me make better life choices.
- I don't know how I can show the fullness of my gratitude. Thank you!
- I will always be grateful for what you've done to help me.
Samples of Longer Messages for Counselors
Sometimes, a simple thank you doesn't suffice. If you want to share more details describing how your counselor helped you, use the following samples to inspire your wording and explain how they specifically helped you.
- “I would like to thank you for your valuable advice, support, and help. With your in-depth understanding of what was causing our issues, you helped save our marriage. Thank you again for your guidance.”
- “We would like to express our profound gratitude for your words of wisdom. Your guidance and encouragement helped save a once broken relationship. Thank you so much for helping us rediscover happiness together.”
- “With a sincere heart, I would like to say thank you for spending your valuable time with me. The discussions we had gave me comfort, hope, and courage to move on with life no matter the circumstance. Once again, thank you for your words of wisdom and helping me navigate towards a successful career.”
- “I am so grateful for your kind help and advice. Your suggestions helped my job search immensely. Thank you once again for taking time to listen to me, and for being there when I needed someone to talk to.”
- “I wanted to share my appreciation for your support and guidance over the past few days. My career choice was a big decision I had difficulty making, but your help in matching my skills with the position I chose was essential. I am thankful to have met someone like you during this time.”
- “I would like to say thanks for your advice. You helped me prepare a plan to help me get promoted and be a beneficial addition to the company. Please accept my gratitude for your continued support and guidance.”
- “Your constructive criticism really made a big difference in my life. The counseling session was amazing, and you opened my eyes to many opportunities I hadn't considered before. Once again, thank you for your attention and concern.”
- “I sincerely appreciate the time you spent with me in counseling. The test to indicate my interests and personality gave me hope and a clear direction for how to proceed in my situation. Thank you for your patient guidance!”
- “I really appreciate the effort and time you invested in me. Your concern and genuine desire to help me become a good influence in other's lives was tremendously helpful. Words can't express how thankful I am for your concern. You are the best counselor I have ever met and I'm so thankful for your help.”
- “The list of scholarship organization contacts you sent over helped me realize I could apply for financial assistance. I hadn't considered that option before, and now I can keep pursuing higher education and gaining more skills. Thank you for all your help!”
- “I searched the scholarship websites that you suggested, and I found one that will pay my tuition fees in full. I couldn't have done this without you, and I appreciate your insight, understanding, and assistance. Thank you again for everything.”
- “Your comments and advice helped others see my achievements at work. My employer noticed my loyalty and rewarded me with a pay raise. Thank you for your encouragement and wise words.”
- “Thank you for suggesting ways to achieve my full potential in life. I can’t express how grateful I am to have you during this difficult time. I appreciate your help!”
- “I am extremely grateful I met you. Your thoughtful suggestions equipped me with methods to manage my anxiety and fear without medication. Thank you for your care and concern for my well-being.”
- “I would like to express my gratitude for your constant support. Your advice and positive thoughts are always an encouragement. I am thankful for you!
- “You helped guide me to exactly what I needed for success in the workplace. I put your suggestions into practice and I'm already seeing positive changes. Thank you for your insightful tutorials!”
- “I want to say thank you for your heartwarming advice. Your words made a huge impact in my life, and you are the best counselor I have ever known. Please know your work is so meaningful!”
- “I just wanted to thank you for helping me to fight my substance addiction. I’m now living a happy life with my family, friends, and loved ones that I didn't know I could have again. I am deeply indebted to you. Thank you again for your wonderful work.”
- “My meeting with you proved to be eye-opening. I gained the skills I needed to start this new life being free from drug addiction. Thank you for guiding me towards the right path.”
- “With your help, I was able to quit substance abuse. I wouldn’t be doing so well right now if it wasn't for your amazing insight into my problems. Thank you for your love, care, and kind attention over the past few months.”
- “I’m so glad that I found your helpful counseling. I wanted to let you know I am recovering well. I’m indebted to you for your kind attention and support, and I will always be grateful for your positive contribution in my life."
- “I'm so thankful I found a friendly guidance counselor in you. You helped me understand the various factors that go into career advancement, and I really appreciate all you've done.”
- “Thank you so much for your support during my rough patches. I'm a lot more hopeful for my marriage. It wouldn't have been possible without your advice and guidance. Thanks once again for helping us keep the romance alive in our marriage.”
Sample Thank You Letters for Counselors
Below are a few examples to help you compose a heartfelt letter to your counselor.
Sample Letter # 1: For a Summer Camp Counselor
I am so thankful for your attentiveness towards my child throughout summer camp. He/she learned a lot from you, and I know you've made a huge difference in his/her life this summer.
Thank you for making the whole experience enjoyable for him/her. We appreciate the work you've done to make everything the best it can be!
[Insert Your Name]
Sample Letter #2: For an Addiction Counselor
I am so glad you were there for me through my ups and downs. I can't adequately express how meaningful your guidance and support were to helping me quit drug addiction.
I wanted you to know that I am now living a healthy lifestyle and enjoying life to the fullest with my family and friends. Thanks again for all that you've done to help me.
[Insert Your Name]
Inspirational Thank You Quotes for Counselors
You can also use a quote that you feel conveys the feeling you want to express to your counselor. I've collected a few examples you can add to your card or use as inspiration to find one on your own.
- “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill
- “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- "If I have to be remembered for something, I want it remembered that I really liked children and was a good camp counselor.” – Francis Ford Coppola
- “How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.” – Williams Shakespeare
- "Usually, the stuff that’s your best idea or work is going to be attacked the most.” – Francis Ford Coppola
- “How beautiful a day can be, when kindness touches it.” – George Elliston
- “Being able to help someone learn something is a talent.” – Margaret Riel
- “It’s easy to make a buck. It’s a lot tougher to make a difference.” – Tom Brokaw
© 2016 Oyewole Folarin
Lisa on August 04, 2018:
Ok thank you for these awesome ideas