Blake started out scribbling in cards over 30 years ago. Though his handwriting is mostly unchanged, the content has improved.
What to Write to Say Thanks to a Pastor
Pastors are usually great communicators, but expressing your gratitude to them can be difficult. They do so many things for people, including preaching, teaching, visiting, performing ceremonies like weddings and baptisms, praying for you, and counseling you. These are all great reasons to thank a clergy member who likely doesn't get to hear "thanks" enough.
The following messages can be written just the way they are, but your card will be much more meaningful if you add something personal. Read through the following words and decide which fit your situation best, then edit the message to give specific details about what you are grateful to your pastor for.
Thank You for a Great Sermon
"I don’t know if you get to hear this often enough, but your recent sermon spoke to me personally and inspired me to make some changes that I know will improve my faith. Thank you for being a great spiritual leader for me and the rest of the church. I am praying for you."
Thanks for a Visit
- "I really appreciate your visiting me in the hospital. When I am feeling ill, it’s nice to have special people like you visit me. Your prayer gave me peace about my health worries."
- "Thanks for coming to my house and visiting me. Talking and praying with me meant a lot and brightened my day. I am praying that God blesses you as you go through your day encouraging others."
- "Thank you for visiting me in the nursing home. It’s always nice to have visitors and your encouraging words meant a lot to me."
For Officiating a Wedding Ceremony
- "You were the perfect person to lead our wedding ceremony. It wouldn’t have been the same without you. You helped us stay relaxed and comfortable through the entire thing with your confidence and warm smile."
- "We want to thank you for officiating our wedding. Everything went smoothly and was meaningful. Your delivery of explanation of the meaning of marriage was a very special part of the ceremony."
- "It was really wonderful having you lead our wedding ceremony. Your encouraging words were an important part of our special day. Thank you for getting our marriage off to a good start."
- "Thank you for sharing the beautiful verses in 1st Corinthians about love. These words will stick with us and serve as a reminder of the vows we made."
Thank You Messages for Other Occasions
Here are some more examples of what to write to thank your preacher, pastor, or clergy member for their services.
"Thank you for baptizing me. I was glad to have the opportunity to take part in my public profession of faith. Being part of the symbolism of our savior’s death, burial, and resurrection has strengthened my faith in Jesus."
"The words you delivered at my mother’s funeral were thoughtful, encouraging, and inspiring. Finding out how strong of a faith my mother had was comforting and gives me the strength I need to grieve. Thank you for taking the time to say such powerful words at her funeral."
"Thanks for delivering such an inspiring message at our baby’s dedication. Challenging us to be the parents that God wants us to be was an encouragement for us. Thank you for continually challenging us in your sermons to grow in faith."
"Getting counseling was not something that I was comfortable doing at first. I am glad that I was able to find someone at the church who could provide counseling for me from a Biblical perspective. You have taught me many things that will help me through the challenges of life."
"Thank you for praying for me. I know that you don’t necessarily know all the details of what I am going through, but your prayers are always welcome."
Inpiring Video for Thanking Pastors
Leave Your Own Ideas Here!
Lucy jediel on April 26, 2020:
I' m really impressed and encouraged also
Daniel on October 11, 2018:
What a lovely write-up/messages!
God bless you all!
Jeff on July 13, 2018:
Your words are true inspiration! So much more appreciation needs to be shown to those that direct us in God's great Love, and encourage a strong walk in faith. These are really some of the most important people in our lives, and showing respect to them is to show His great Love in return. This is what builds and strengthens churchs.
Busisiwe ziqu teljeur on January 31, 2018:
I think pastors need our full support financial to bring their kids to schools
Zakhe on September 14, 2017:
I want to thank you my poster but idont know where to start
Lisa McKnight from London on February 27, 2012:
Thanks for this, I just used one of these as I had to write a thank you note to a pastor and I was stuck for words.
richard orolfo on January 30, 2012:
i love my pastor so much!!!!