Oyewole Folarin loves writing greeting-card messages and helping others find the words they need for life's special moments.
How Do You Express Your Gratitude to a Physical, Occupational, or Speech Therapist?
Do you want to write a thank you note to your physical therapist, speech therapist, occupational therapist, massage therapist, or physiotherapist but don’t know how to begin? The people who help us to regain our potential and manage our chronic pain through physical exercise, massage, stretching maneuvers, and other prescribed therapies definitely deserve a handwritten card or note of appreciation.
Although writing a short thank you letter can seem like a daunting and potentially time-consuming task, it's also an incredibly thoughtful gesture. Sometimes it can be difficult to find the right words to use, but the examples in this article may help you find direction. Your main goal here is to express your heartfelt appreciation to your healthcare provider by letting them know how pleased you are with their care and how helpful it has been to your healthy recovery.
This article will guide you on how to put the gratitude you feel toward your therapist into words using specifics about the work they've done with you. Keep in mind that your note could go a long way—some therapists (with their clients' permission) share “inspirational stories of success” with others who are still battling with the mobility issues, stroke recovery, traumatic brain injury, or chronic pain that you have successfully overcome. Now, let's get into some specifics! This article is divided into four parts:
- How to Structure Your Note or Card
- Short Sample Phrases for Expressing Gratitude
- Longer Example Messages for Thanking a Therapist
- A Gift Idea
How to Structure Your Note or Card
Writing a thank you note or card is easier to do if you follow a simple structure or formula. Use this guide along with ideas from the sample messages below to write your own unique letter.
A Thank You Message in Four Parts
- Greet and thank your therapist.
- Mention how they helped you. Discuss the specific things they did to assist you in your recovery.
- Express your feelings. Say something about how their service has made a big difference in your life.
- Close your letter. Do this by saying thank you once again.
If you are able to recollect some of your experiences with your provider in your therapy sessions and you follow these four steps, you should be able to craft a thoughtful and sincere thank you note.
Sample Phrases You Can Use to Express Thanks
Below, you will find some common phrases you can incorporate into your note to express gratitude. These can be useful for short and sweet thank you notes, but they can also be incorporated into longer letters of appreciation.
- I appreciate your efforts.
- Thanks for the care.
- I’m delighted that I can walk again.
- I’m so thankful.
- I’m so relieved.
- I’m pleased.
- I’m highly satisfied.
- Your help will stay in my heart forever.
- Thanks for your attention and care.
- I appreciate your professional care.
- Thank you for the warm reception.
- I felt cared for.
- Thanks for your compassionate heart.
- Thank you very much.
- I'm grateful that you were my therapist.
- I appreciate your compassion.
- Your treatment is much appreciated.
- Your treatment helped me get out of a rut.
- Your help in my recovery is sincerely appreciated.
- I thank you wholeheartedly.
- Thanks for being so attentive.
- I truly appreciate your patience.
- I’m really touched beyond words.
- I’m extremely grateful.
- My heart keeps thanking you.
- I appreciate your kind support.
- I’ll be grateful forever.
- Thank you for the careful diagnosis and treatment.
- Words are not enough to express my gratitude.
Example Messages for Therapists
Below, you will find some longer-form examples of what to write to the therapist or counselor that helped you regain some or all of your potential. You can use these to inspire your note or card's wording or modify and adapt them to fit your specific situation.
- Thank you so much for your wonderful care and treatment during my therapy sessions. The stretching maneuvers you taught me with worked wonders to gradually restore my physical wellbeing. My pain is almost completely gone, and I can now join my teammates on the badminton court again without stress. Once again, thank you for being such a kindhearted care provider and for making my treatment as bearable as possible. You're the best!
- I just wanted to thank you for helping me recover so quickly from my back injury. Your bodywork and exercises did wonders to reduce my pain, and I can now go back out like normal and do the things I love to do. Thanks once again for your fantastic work toward my recovery.
- I would like to express my sincerest thanks for all the care and support you gave to my child. If it weren’t for your early diagnosis and prompt treatment, her voice wouldn’t be what it is today. Thank you once again for all of your unflinching support and care during Sondra's speech therapy sessions. Your clients are so lucky to have you as their therapist!
- I just wanted to express my profound gratitude to you for taking such good care of me during my recovery. Your patience and understanding during the rehabilitation process made it so much more bearable. You stood by me from my first visit to the end of my six weeks of therapy, and your bubbly sense of humor made it so there was never a dull moment at the clinic. Thanks for going above and beyond to help me.
- I would like to express my sincere thanks for all the treatment I received for my right ankle. You were so kind and understanding throughout each of my physical therapy sessions. Thanks once again for making my treatment as bearable as possible and helping me strive for lasting recovery.
- It is hard for me to find the words to express how thankful I am for the way you helped my uncle navigate his traumatic brain injury. You never left him alone, and he felt safe and supported in your care. You were very patient with me and my many concerns, and the professional attention you gave Richard was exceptional. Thanks—from the bottom of our hearts—for your care and concern.
- I just wanted to let you know that my level of mobility has improved tremendously and my pain has lessened significantly. I have joined my teammates at the training camp and am fully ready for the upcoming season. My recovery wouldn't have been possible without your hard work and attention. Thanks for making physical therapy easy and fun.
Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul.
— Henry Ward Beecher
Consider Including a Gift
Another nice way to say thank you is to include a gift card inside your appreciation note. Amazon gift cards never expire and can be redeemed for millions of items, so they make a great gift for someone whose specific interests and tastes you may not be familiar with. Consider including one with your card to give your therapist an opportunity to splurge on something they like.
Gabriel on August 18, 2020:
short and sweet .... awesome
Mike on July 23, 2020:
Thanks for an excellent article.
1234l on August 31, 2017:
Great help, extremely satisfied