Love Quotes and Sentiments for Cards, Scrapbooks, and Sharing
All You Need Is Love
If you're looking for a kind or romantic sentiment, try a "lovely" quote. We all enjoy the tenderness of love, and there are so many types to savor and celebrate. Enjoy each of the categories below, and pick a few words to share. They are perfect for cards, art, journaling, and scrapbooking. Or how about posting a mushy sentiment on Facebook?
From boyfriends to girlfriends to Grandma, everyone loves to know they are loved!
- "What the heart gives away is never gone . . . It is kept in the hearts of others." —Robin St. John
- "We can do no great things; only small things with great love." —Mother Teresa
- "Love is something eternal, the aspect may change, but not the essence." —Vincent van Gogh
- "Love is a canvas furnished by Nature and embroidered by imagination." —Voltaire
- "Love is the greatest refreshment in life." —Pablo Picasso
- "Life is a journey, and love is what makes that journey worthwhile."
- " As the ocean is never full of water, so is the heart never full of love."
- " We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures. " —Thornton Wilder
- "Of all the music that reached farthest into heaven, it is the beating of a loving heart."
- “I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach.” —Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- "For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul." —Judy Garland
- " We are, each of us angels with only one wing; and we can only fly by embracing one another." —Luciano de Crescenzo
- "I don't want to live. I want to love first, and live incidentally." —Zelda Fitzgerald
- "To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides." —David Viscott
- "Morning without you is a dwindled dawn." —Emily Dickinson
- "Loving is not just looking at each other, it's looking in the same direction." —Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- "Anyone can catch your eye, but it takes someone special to catch your heart." —Author Unknown
- "We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly" —Sam Keen
- "Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies."
- "Each moment of a happy lover's hour is worth an age of dull and common life" —Aphra Behn
They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
Out of a misty dream
Our path emerges for a while, then closes
Within a dream.
Every moment I spend with you becomes a beautiful memory.
Anytime you're next to me,
I'm as close to heaven as I can be.
- "I wasn't kissing her, I was whispering in her mouth." —Chico Marx
- The most eloquent silence; that of two mouths meeting in a kiss.
- Kisses are like tears, the only real ones are the ones you can't hold back.
- "A kiss is a lovely trick, designed by nature, to stop words when speech becomes unnecessary." —Ingrid Bergman
- "Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen." —Jerome K. Jerome
- "A Kiss that's never tasted is forever and ever wasted" —From a song by Billie Holiday
- "I have found men who didn't know how to kiss. I've always found time to teach them." —Mae West
As Defined by Kids
- "When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different. You just know that your name is safe in their mouth." —Billy, age 4
- "Love is what makes you smile when you're tired." —Terri, age 4
- "Love is when my mommy makes coffee for my daddy and she takes a sip before giving it to him, to make sure the taste is OK." —Danny, age 7
- "Love is when you kiss all the time. Then when you get tired of kissing, you still want to be together and you talk more. My Mommy and Daddy are like that. They look gross when they kiss." —Emily, age 8
- "When my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn't bend over and paint her toenails anymore. So my grandfather does it for her all the time, even when his hands got arthritis too. That's love." —Rebecca, age 8
- "If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend who you hate," —Nikka, age 6
- "Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he wears it everyday." —Noelle, age 7
- "Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after they know each other so well." —Tommy, age 6
- "Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day." —Mary Ann, age 4
- "When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out of you." —Karen, age 7
How to Personalize Someone Else's Words
We can't all put our feelings into words like Shakespeare or Browning. I think reading quotes give us those "ah ha" moments of, "Yes, that's just what I want to say."
When a quote captures your message, use it and add a personal touch. I love to do this by making my own cards. If you're limited by time or crafting ability, buy a pretty box of blank cards and print a quote typed on your computer, cut it out, and insert it inside the card with double-sided tape. Going to that little bit of extra effort means so much, and I think you'll find it saves you time and money, as opposed to making a trip to the store each time you need a birthday card.
- "Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards." —Benjamin Franklin
- "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known." —Walt Disney
- "Love is a game that two can play and both win." —Eva Gabor
- "We don't believe in rheumatism and true love until after the first attack." —Marie Ebner Von Eschenbach, Aphorism
- "Anyone can be passionate, but it takes real lovers to be silly." —Rose Franken
- "True love is like a pair of socks . . . you gotta have two and they've gotta match!"
"The night was dark,
The moon was high,
He stopped the car,
She wondered Why,
He moved in close,
Her heart went pitter pat,
He whispered sofly,
The tire is flat."
Like a garden in the spring
Life is full of wonderful things.
Our eyes met and from the start
Love was planted in our hearts.
An anniversary is a time to celebrate the joys of today,
the memories of yesterday, and the hopes of tomorrow.
The highest happiness on earth is marriage.
—William Lyon Phelps
You don't marry someone you can live with,
you marry the person you cannot live without.
Love brought you together as husband and wife,
And gave each of you a best friend for life.
- A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.
- "Friendship is a single soul living in two bodies." —Aristotle
- "Friendship is the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words." —George Eliot
There's a miracle of friendship that
dwells within the heart
And you don't know how it happens
or where it gets its start
But the happiness it brings you
always gives a special lift
Any you realize that friendship
Is God's most perfect gift.
Love can be a simple smile,
love can be the extra mile,
love can be the chance to say,
love made me think of you today!
We're not really sisters
But we're sisters of the heart,
And nothing shall ever
Tear our friendship apart
Can miles truly separate us?
If we want to be with someone we love,
aren't we already there?
Good company in a journey
makes the way seem shorter.
Can't be together—
Wish we could,
To hug you now
Would feel so good!
When we're together
or when we're apart,
you're first in my thoughts
and first in my heart.
- True love stories never have endings.
- "Old love does not rust." —Estonian Proverb
- "Grow old with me! The best is yet to be." —Robert Browning
- "I've fallen in love many times . . . always with you." —Author Unknown
- It's never too late to live happily ever after.
"Age does not protect you from love.
But love, to some extent, protects you from age."
"It has been said that it takes a minute to find
a special person, an hour to appreciate them,
a day to love them, and an entire life to forget them."
"Your love gives me happiness, joy and delight;
You're the sun in my morning, the moon in my night,
You're the one that I cherish, the love of my life;
And I truly am blessed, that we are husband and wife."
Bible Verses and Christian Sentiments
- "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." —1 Corinthians 13:4-7
- "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." —Psalm 37:4
"For God so loved the world,
that He gave His only begotten Son,
that whosoever believeth in Him
should not perish,
but have everlasting life . . . "
"You will seek Me and find Me
when you search for Me with
all your heart."
- "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." —John 13:34-35 NIV
- "Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days." —Psalm 90:14
- "I thank my God every time I remember you." —Phillipians 1:3
- "To love a person, means to see him (her) as God intended him (her) to be." —Fyodor Dostoevsky
- "Christian love, either towards God or towards man, is an affair of the will." —C. S. Lewis
I would love to hear from you; please say hi . . .