Blake started out scribbling in cards over 30 years ago. Though his handwriting is mostly unchanged, the content has improved.
Figuring out what to write in a wedding card can be a challenge. Weddings tend to be elaborate spectacles packed with tradition and meaning. Even though you're just wishing the happy couple congratulations, it can be difficult to find the perfect words to give genuine meaning to your card.
These message examples can help you figure out the wording for your card. As you scroll down the page, think about the couple who will receive your card. Select, mix, or paraphrase these ideas to suit your needs. You'll find quotes, inspirational wishes, and funny messages below.
Sincere Messages for Wedding Cards
These are encouraging and inspirational.
- It's about time! You guys are great together!
- You are two amazing people. Or, maybe I should say, one amazing couple. Congrats!
- We're so happy for you! May your lives be enriched by each other.
- May today be just the beginning of a lifetime of happiness together.
- I am glad to be a part of your wedding day, and I am looking forward to seeing what comes from you two.
- Remember that you two are still boyfriend and girlfriend. Don't ever let marriage take that away from you.
- Congratulations! And thank you for letting us be part of your special day.
- May your joining together bring you more joy than you can imagine.
- Here's to success in your new titles: bride and groom, husband and wife, and any more you will pick up over the years together.
- May you celebrate every day together the way you have celebrated today.
- I am wishing you the best of things in your marriage and confident that you two will be a blessing to each other and those who you meet along your journey.
- Thank you for the opportunity to support you on your special day.
- As elaborate as weddings can be, it is the simple words and commitment that will last.
- We are glad to see blessing in your lives. We hope your wedding goes well and you have a great start to your marriage.
- You have made a wonderful decision. As your days as newlyweds turn to months and eventually unfold into a collection of years, we hope you continue to grow closer to each other.
- We hope your wedding bliss fills you with as much happiness as it has for us. We love you both very much and congratulations.
Funny Wishes for Newlyweds
- Here's to limiting your options: 'til death do us part.'
- Whoever said that marriage is easy must have died on their honeymoon. Wishing you a long and difficult marriage.
- A good marriage is like a good marriage.
- Let the arguing begin!
- Just keep acting like an engaged couple. Then you'll always be crazy about each other.
- A good marriage is where two people love each other and decide to screw everything up by forcing themselves to stay together through anything. Here's to your good decision!
- Newlyweds argue over little things. Old couples argue over little things. Newlyweds make up easily. Old couples make up easily. The only difference is make-up-sex as opposed to make-up-Jeopardy. Wishing you the best through the awkward years in between sex and Jeopardy.
- Marriage is all about driving each other crazy; old people just prefer to drive slower.
- Whoever thought up the idea of matching up people for life is a genius with a sick sense of humor.
- 'Til death do us part' isn't really that big of a commitment when you're as old as you two are.
- Call her your girlfriend. Call him your boyfriend. That way you'll never take each other for granted.
- Did you know sequoia trees live 1,300 years? If your marriage ever gets old, just be glad you're not sequoias.
- Since finances are the number one topic spouses fight about, marriage's biggest irony is starting by spending as much as you possibly can on your wedding.
- Did you know that some animals mate for life? That sounds exhausting to me. That’s why us humans just get married.
Famous Quotes About Marriage
Here's a collection of quotes about marriage, husbands, and wives. Some are funny and some are inspirational. Choose the best fit for the couple you know:
- "It's not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages." –Friedrich Nietzsche
- "A good marriage is the union of two good forgivers." –Ruth Bell Graham
- "The ultimate purpose of marriage is not to make us happy, but to glorify God." –Nancy Leigh DeMoss
- "A great marriage is not when the 'perfect couple' come together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences." –Dave Meurer
- "Love doesn't make the world go 'round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile." –Franklin P. Jones
- "He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord." Proverbs 18:22
- "Bride: A woman with a fine prospect of happiness behind her." –Ambrose Bierce
- "Husbands are like puppies... they need to be loved (and housebroken)."–Blake Flannery
Ideas for Your Original Message
You can write your own nuggets of wisdom for the bride and groom. Here are some original examples of sayings. Try to come up with something better than these:
- Marriage includes encouraging, forgiving, entertaining and praying for each other as often as possible.
- The secret to a good marriage is to only do things together that you both either love or hate to do.
- Marriage defies the rules of mathematics because one plus one equals one.
- Marriage requires each spouse to give 100%, not 50% each.
- Marriage is a chance to magnify either happiness or misery by sharing it with another person. Make a conscious choice to share happiness every day.
- All marriages are different, so don’t try to have someone else's.
- How many marriages does it take to realize that your spouses weren’t the problem?
Religious Wedding Messages
Weddings tend to be full of religious symbolism and scripture reading. If your couple is strong in Christian faith, then a Christian message may be appropriate. Remember that a verse will work well on its own, but consider combining it with your own personal inspiring message.
- You two are truly blessed. May the blessings continue for both of you. Congratulations on your wedding!
- Your marriage is your new home and the foundation has been set. If you let God be the architect and you’re willing to put in some hard work, you’ll end up finding your dream home in each other.
- The strongest marriages are built on the strong foundation of our Lord.
- The formula for a good marriage is simple: love each other the way Christ loves the church.
- Marriage is a chance to be an example of the love that our Creator has shown us.
- We are praying that God guides you in your new adventure. May God pour out blessings on you both.
What to Say to a Son or Daughter Who is Getting Married
It's always a good idea to be as specific as you can for your audience when writing in a card. These are specific wedding wishes to your son or daughter and your new son or daughter-in-law.
- You have brought joy into our lives since the day you were born. Now we are bursting with joy to see you marry such an amazing young man/woman.
- As we give you away on your wedding day, we take comfort knowing that you’ll take over now by caring for each other. We love you both and can't wait to see how you take care of each other over the years.
- How blessed you both are to find companions of such high quality!
- The only thing that could make us more excited now is grandchildren!
- When your child chooses such an amazing person for a spouse, it lets parents know that they have done a great job raising their child. It also assures us that our grandchildren will have great parents.
- We now consider you both our children, and you know from growing up that we don’t let our kids fight without making up.
- When things get tough in your marriage, just keep in mind that we only give anniversary gifts if you're still married. That should be all the incentive you need.
List of Wedding-Themed Words
Robilo2 on August 16, 2016:
Blake- nice hub topics - I created a new board on Pinterest and pinned some of your articles....
Blake Flannery (author) from United States on May 03, 2015:
Don't worry too much about helping them with the thank you cards. Gifts are not given with an expectation of a thank you card. If you'd like to mention what you gave them, you can do this in a tactful way. Mention how fun it was to get to be part of the wedding by doing the hair styling and that you want to see pictures from their honeymoon when they get back. Here's an example, "I am honored to get to do hair styling for your big day. I also like that I got to help out a little with your honeymoon. Enjoy your time! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures."
That's as far as you need to go, because that will help remind them without you saying, "I got you the hair styling and money via Paypal." If they can't remember what they got you, they can use general expressions of gratitude when they write your thank you card. You have given two very memorable gifts.
NotSoSure on May 01, 2015:
I'm going to a wedding with no physical gift. I am gifting the couple's hair styling service as well as some money I already gave via PayPal toward their homeymoon. I wanted to still give them a card when I show up to the wedding though. Should I write in the card what my gifts were? If so, how do I say it? They might be sort of forgetful so I wanted to help them out come time for the thank you cards.
Andrea on August 31, 2011:
These messages are a great variety, and the funny messages actually were corny but cute. Thanks for helping me write this for my trainer at work! :)
Blake Flannery (author) from United States on August 19, 2011:
I don't think you need to remind them. Just support them with a card and/or your presence. I doubt they will think less of you. But if that's not good enough for you...
"I am happy that you are getting married again... and to the same person. You got a nice gift from me first time, and this time you get my sincere blessing. Congratulations!"
vivian on August 19, 2011:
They had a civil ceremony, now having marriage blessed in church with large reception. I gave gift when they first married. How do I remind them of this?