I've enjoyed sharing original messages to write in cards for over eight years. Send me a thank-you card if you find my words helpful.
What to Write in a Wedding Card
Trying to figure out what to write in a wedding card? Choosing a special and unique message for your friend or loved one can be a challenge. The samples in this article will help you determine what to say.
You might find yourself staring at a blank spot in the card trying to figure out the perfect message. Thinking of one can be a challenging and intimidating. Choosing your words carefully will give you best chance at saying what you want, but you find yourself staring. Stare no longer.
Use these examples to help you with the wording for your card. Combine them or change them as you need to make them fit the newlyweds who will receive your gift of words. Another idea is to simply copy a scripture for the couple to reference.
- "Here's to success in your new titles, bride, groom, husband, wife, and any more titles you will gain through your years together."
- "I am praying that God blesses you in your new life. May God grant you an abundance of love and wisdom."
- "We are glad to be involved on your wedding day, and look forward to seeing what comes from you two in the future."
- "Congratulations, and I am glad you let me be part of your wedding."
- "Marriage is an opportunity to exemplify the love that God has shown us."
- "May your marriage be blessed with more joy than either of you can imagine."
- "We are hoping for the best of things in your marriage. We are confident that you will be a blessing to each other and to those who you meet through your lives."
- "May you enjoy and celebrate each other every day the way you have today."
- "Thank you for the opportunity to support you in your marriage."
- "Whether your wedding is elegant, simple, inside or outside, it is the words and the commitment that will last beyond today."
- "Becoming one, you will create more than you are separately. You each have different talents and skills. Remember to keep this in mind as you serve each other daily."
Read More From Holidappy
- "Whoever said that marriage is easy must have died on their honeymoon. Wishing you a long and difficult marriage."
- "'Til death do us part' is really just an expression of limiting your options. Who says you don't have a way out?"
- "In a marriage, one plus one does not equal two. This is why it is so much more difficult to balance the checkbook once you're married."
- "It is true that old couples drive much slower. They are in less of a hurry than young couples to drive their spouse crazy."
- "A good marriage is where two people meet, date each other, fall in love with each other, and then decide to screw each other in the sacred bond of marriage."
- "Newlyweds argue over little things. Old couples argue over little things. Newlyweds make up easily. Old couples make up easily. The only difference is make-up-sex as opposed to make-up-'Price is Right'. Wishing you the best through the awkward years in between sex and The Price is Right."
- "A good marriage is not like a good marriage most of the time."
- "Whoever thought up the idea of matching up people for life must be insane, but must also be a genius."
- "'Til death do us part' isn't really that big of a commitment as old as you two are."
- "Spending as much money as you possibly can on your wedding doesn't seem like that great of an idea considering that finances is one of the most popular topics for couples to fight about."
- "These specific Bible verses have helped us with our marriage: "Genisis 1:1- Revalation 22:21"
What Not to Write
There are some things, believe it or not, that are bad ideas of what to write in a wedding card. Take a look at these examples of what not to write in a wedding card.
- "You've got a fifty-fifty chance at divorce. Flip a coin."
- "I can't believe you two decided to get married, you seem horrible together. I'll give you a couple years. Losers."
- "Coming from someone who has been divorced a few times myself, do yourself a favor and go ahead with the divorce now before your life gets any more complicated. Just wait until you have three kids and you are being abused every day."
- "I wish you the best of luck, even though you are just getting married so you can live together without living in sin."
- "I can already see who is going to be wearing the pants, and it's not the groom."
- "Congratulations. It's all downhill from here."
- "I wish I didn't have to sit through that boring wedding.Just for that I hope your future is just as boring."
- "The food sucked at your wedding. but your first kiss sucked even more."
- "You didn't really mean what you said at the alter, did you? I mean, come on."
- "You guys looked so fake saying your vowls, it made me want to laugh and puke at the same time."
- Keep it light: Don't turn your card message into your own personal marriage counseling session. Stay concise, stay on topic, and stay positive and your message will be fine.
- Make your message personal: Use what you know about the couple to make it specific and relevant to them. Mention what makes them a great couple, or why you are exited to see them get married.
- Use humor appropriately: Humor can be a great way to make your message special and stand out in the stack of cards. Be sensitive when using humor, not everyone will understand that you are joking. Consider who will receive your message and your relationship with the couple.
- Reference Bible verses: You don't need to quote an entire verse. It's more efficient to summarize what you want to say and leave the verse reference for the couple to look up. An example is: "You now have someone to offer you support, but don't forget to keep God in your marriage. He will provide you with the strength you need. Ecclesiastes 4:9-12"
- Put money in the card: The presence of a check in the card will increase the likelihood that the newlyweds will want to read your card message for obvious reasons.
Top Wedding Sites on May 10, 2010:
Another aspect to consider is whether you are attending the wedding or not. This would greatly alter your message. Also, famous quotations of love make good content for wedding cards.