Oyewole Folarin loves writing greeting-card messages and helping others find the words they need for life's special moments.
Divorce Sympathy Messages and Words of Encouragement
How can you support a parent, son, daughter, family member, or friend struggling with the pain of separation or divorce? It can be difficult to find the right words to say; they may feel hopeless, insecure, worried, lost, lonely, depressed, and distressed during this stressful time.
You recognize their emotions, and you want to use the right words and tone to acknowledge their pain yet encourage them to look forward to the future. In this article, you will find some simple messages you can say or write that may help someone going through a painful divorce or breakup.
What to Say to Someone Going Through a Divorce or Separation
Here are some things to think about when writing an encouragement card:
- Be empathetic. Acknowledge their emotions and use appropriate words and tone to convey sympathy and understanding.
- Be positive. Send words of comfort and encouragement to give them hope, lift their spirit, and help them look forward to a brighter future.
- Be supportive. Let them know that they are loved, and reach out to them to offer your support.
- Send prayers. If they are religious, you can send them a prayer or Qur’an or Bible verse to comfort them, strengthen their faith, lift their spirit, and help them get through the pain of separation or divorce.
Examples of Inspirational Quotes
If you aren’t sure what to say or write, you can quote someone else. Here are a few examples of poignant and inspirational quotes:
- “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” — Lao Tzu
- “The knowledge of the past stays with us. To let go is to release the images and emotions, the grudges and fears, the clingings and disappointments of the past that bind our spirit.” — Jack Kornfield
- “New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings.” — Lao Tzu
- “The truth is unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.” — Steve Maraboli
Example Words of Encouragement Messages for a Divorce Sympathy Card
This collection of messages will help inspire your own words of comfort:
- I know the emotional turmoil of divorce can be incredibly distressing. Think positive thoughts, and keep looking forward to better days.
- Spending your days making new, positive memories will make a great difference in your life. Remember that I’m always here for you!
- Life is full of ups and downs. Don’t be discouraged; stay positive, have faith, and know that you will bounce back even stronger than before.
- We’re thinking of you. Please try not to let the pain of this moment bring you down. We love you!
- I know that there are happier and brighter days ahead for you. I hope you know that I’ll always be here to help and support you.
- Don't feel guilty about how things ended; think about where you want to be, and make a realistic plan to get there. Remember, life is short—make the most of it.
- Try not to dwell on the past. Stay positive; there are brighter days ahead.
- Life is what you make of it—so go out and make the most of your newfound freedom. You deserve the best!
- I’m sorry to hear about your divorce. I just know that although your marriage didn't go the way you expected it to, the universe has great plans for you.
- I just wanted to remind you that there is hope; despite the difficult time you are going through, the best is yet to come!
- Your spouse walked away, but you are still an incredibly kind, thoughtful, and caring human being who is worthy of love. You are our pride and joy—keep your head up!
- We know it is not easy to get your ex off your mind, but now that it's over, you can move on from the past and step into a new, more fulfilling life.
- You can overcome this; we are all here to help you. Life is filled with both light and darkness—never give up!
- There is no problem without a solution, but the solution depends on how you perceive the problem. So wipe away your tears, smile, and stay positive!
- Remember, this challenging time in your life is only temporary—keep your head up!
- When going through a difficult time, letting yourself heal is one of the most important things you can do to bring yourself peace.
- It’s always difficult to accept change, but when we allow ourselves to be at peace with the past, we can move on to a more enjoyable and fulfilling life.
- Life is a gift we should all cherish, and with it comes both good times and bad. Don't worry; everything will be alright in the end.
- You are not alone—we are here to help and support you.
- Everyone has rough patches to navigate through in life. I promise to be there to help you through yours!
- We are sending this note to let you know how much we care about you. Your struggles are our struggles, and we are here to help you overcome the pain and move toward a brighter future.
- I know that sometimes, you feel like the unluckiest person in the world, but I am here to be there for you as you forge a new way ahead for yourself and your children.
- This disappointment you feel now is fleeting. Be strong, and look forward to better days.
- Although you are going through rough times now, there are brighter days ahead. All you need to do now is keep looking forward.
- Try not to dwell on the memories of the past; keep on believing that your tomorrow can and will be better.
- Life is what you make of it—so make this next stage of your life an adventure filled with wonder and joy.
- Always remember that you are a valuable part of this family, and we care about you very much.
- The end of a relationship is always hard, but don’t be discouraged; think about how wonderful the next phase of your life will be.
- It's hard to pick up the pieces after a painful separation, but I'm looking forward to enjoying the happy and fulfilling lives we will have in brighter days ahead.
- Here’s sending warm thoughts to help brighten your day, strengthen your courage, and lift your spirits so that you can get to where you are destined to be. I love and care about you more than you'll ever know!
- Don’t let the past get you down. Look toward the next phase of life with hope and excitement. Keep your head up!
- Remember that even in the darkest of times, there is always hope. Keep your head up; everything will be better soon.
- I’m thinking about you during this trying time. I know you're feeling down, but remember, in this new phase of your life, you'll out and explore every beautiful opportunity out there.
- Don’t let this tragedy keep you from living your life to the fullest. Remember, you are destined for greatness.
- Just because you are going through a divorce does not mean that you will never find happiness. Try not to dwell on the past; think about all the opportunities waiting for you out there. Things will go back to normal. Keep your head up!
- Go out there, explore all the opportunities that await, and enjoy yourself to the fullest!
- Don't let this separation get you down. We are with you.
- I just want you to know that I understand what you're going through, and I promise to always be there for you.
- This marriage didn't work out the way you had hoped. But I know that you'll bounce back stronger than ever!
- I know that you're going through a really difficult time, and I promise to be there for you. Just let me know what you need.
- Look at a divorce not as the end of a relationship but the beginning of a new life with endless potential. Stay strong, smile, and explore the possibilities life has to offer.
- Our hearts ache for you during this difficult time. May you have the strength and courage to move toward the wonderful opportunities the future has to offer!
- Stay strong and have faith that everything will be better again in no time. We are here for you.
- Now is the time to focus on your passions in life—stay strong and give your energy to things that bring you joy.
Read More From Holidappy
Messages for a Spiritual Person
- God understands what you are going through. My prayers for strength and endurance are with you. I love you!
- I pray God gives you the strength and courage you need to bounce back stronger than ever before.
- I wanted you to know that you’re our pride and joy, and you are always in our thoughts and prayers.
- I’m sending healing prayers your way.
- May God take care of you, renew your faith, and give you the strength to get through this difficult time!
- I pray that God takes good care of you and gives you comfort and happiness so that you may live the rest of your life with joy and fulfillment.
- I pray for God to continue to provide His grace in your life so you may enjoy His blessings.
- Have faith that God is fully in control of your life. You shall have a good story to tell in the end. You are loved!
- Always remember that you are in our thoughts and prayers.
- Commit your heart to the Lord, and all your desires shall be granted to you.
- Just continue thanking God for His goodness upon your life.
- I pray that God continues to strengthen your spirit and comfort you.
- God makes the night to enter into the day and the day to enter into the night. He brought the living out of the dead and the dead out of the living. Just have faith that God has the knowledge of everything you are going through, and He is able to do all things.
Spiritual Verses of Encouragement
A religious friend or family member may take comfort in spiritual verses. Here are a few examples you can write in a card to someone going through divorce or separation.
For a Faithful Muslim
- “….And He knows whatever there is in (or on) the earth and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth or anything fresh or dry, but is written in a clear book.” — Surat Al-An’ am 6:59
- “If Allah knows there is anything good in your hearts, He will give you something better than what has been taken from you, and He will forgive you, and Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.” — Surat Al- Anfal 8:70
- “No calamity befalls but by the permission of Allah, and whosoever believes in Allah, He will guide his heart. And Allah is the All-knower of everything.” Surat At- Taghabun 64:11
For a Faithful Christian
- “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” — Proverbs 3:5-6
- “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” — Joshua 1:9
- “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.” John 14:27
- “My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.” — Psalm 119:50
© 2018 Oyewole Folarin
dashingscorpio from Chicago on June 01, 2018:
When it's all said and done a divorce is nothing more than a public admission that mistake was made in someone's mate selection process. There are three basic reasons why couples divorce.
1. They chose the wrong mate. (They're too incompatible)
2. A "deal breaker" was committed in the eyes of another.
3. They fell out of love/stopped wanting the same things.
In order for your (ex) to have been "the one" he/she would have had to see (you) as being "the one". At the very least a "soulmate" is someone who actually wants to be with you! (And vice versa).
"Never love anyone who treats you like you're ordinary."
- Oscar Wilde
In a world with over 7 Billion people rejection just means: NEXT!
Every ending is a new beginning!